Join Early Retirement Today

When You’re Bored Silly in Retirement
Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When You’re Bored Silly in Retirement

I realize for many/most here at ER.org this article does NOT apply. But maybe a few people have faced retirement boredom at times, I know I enjoy retirement in Spring/Summer/Fall more than in Winter.

It's up to each of us to make our own retirement enjoyable.

If the article is not for you, that's fine.

I thought this quote was funny (added bold mine).
Quote:
Even Del Webb, developer of America’s most famous retirement community — Sun City, near Phoenix, Ariz. — couldn’t live the life of leisure. A 1962 Time cover story about him said: “Del Webb, the hulking, slope-shouldered, long-striding 63-year-old who hates to be called Delbert, could not stand the life in one of his own Sun Cities for more than a few days — or a few hours.” He preferred working.
When You're Bored Silly in Retirement - 1

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I work the "dog days of winter". After the holidays, I can't wait to get back to the CPA back office and do tax returns (even though I'm an engineer) as I am so bored. But by April, I can't wait to get away from the office and back outside. Repeat every year for last 15. Don't really need the money, though in earlier years of retirement it gave some increase in security. And my employer knows this, so they keep the hassle factor low and let me call my own hours. WIn-Win. Probably continue until RMDs start and boys finish college when me and DW can start what some would consider a typical retirement
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I taught myself how to sell on ebay & today I am a top seller in women's clothes . I don't need the money but I need the stimulation.For me it is a perfect gig since most of it is done in my pj's .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Winter is fun and active when you live at 26 degrees latitude. That's why our neighborhood fills up in the winter.

Summer is when we often travel elsewhere!

DH and I have such a backlog of photos and videos to process that downtime is often welcomed.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Being able to entertain oneself is a learned skill and one that is helpful, or even crucial, in retirement. Those who haven't bothered to learn it as a schoolchild, and who are not willing to make the effort to learn it later on in their adult years or in retirement, probably would be happiest if they just keep working.
Hopefully they will contribute to SS for the rest of us.

That said, my sig line nicely pertains to the thread topic, doesn't it!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Avoiding boredom...this is why I grow plants indoors. If I find my mind wandering during the winter months, I go in that room and cut back too large plants, remove dead leaves, fertilize, and transplant things. It is a great time killer and a fun place to sit in. My tabletop fountain provides great sound for me and humidity for the plants.

I have trouble sitting still (like a kid ) so I don't do much book reading.

I do have a neat project to start up soon...when the lake effect snowstorms get really bad.
http://smile.amazon.com/oil-painting...ber+fire+horse
Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I taught myself how to sell on ebay & today I am a top seller in women's clothes . I don't need the money but I need the stimulation.For me it is a perfect gig since most of it is done in my pj's .
Good for you for finding a part-time job you enjoy where you can set your own hours.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Being able to entertain oneself is a learned skill and one that is helpful, or even crucial, in retirement. Those who haven't bothered to learn it as a schoolchild, and who are not willing to make the effort to learn it later on in their adult years or in retirement, probably would be happiest if they just keep working.

Excellent, excellent point W2R!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a side gig that just happens to need attention in the November - March time frame. My problem is that I so have many other things that I would rather do that I sometimes procrastinate on it. However, on those days when the weather might have me a little down, being accountable to someone else can act as a little nudge and get me going on something.
jjquantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #10

My working career involved helping others. Employees, clients, my boss. I really didn't do much for me at all either on a daily basis or long term.

Now after 6 months of ER, boredom isn't the problem. Reminding myself on a daily basis that I can do things for me now has been the challenge.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #11

Quote:

I will drink to the above!

I've learned the aforementioned skilled early. My mom used to tell me go out and play.

I know I won't be bored at ER. I am bored at work and am too busy on weekends when I don't work. When the clock strikes 1:00 am on Monday morning, I had to drag myself to bad wishing I had more time.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #12

I think most TV watching and especially our communal watching of sports, along with drinking alcohol are ways many divert themselves from fear of boredom. (And I'm not talking about those retired, but many adults).

I find my passions come and go. I can play tennis 5 times a week for months, and just quit. Golf is the same way. It's easy to keep doing the same thing without giving much thought. That's why I like being idle, and sometimes perhaps even bored--I'll quickly find something new/fresh to do.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefixac View Post
I think most TV watching and especially our communal watching of sports, along with drinking alcohol are ways many divert themselves from fear of boredom.
Ewww, how boring! I would get bored silly by any of these. I don't watch sports at all, much less communally. I don't watch much TV, and I don't drink alcohol at all.

Working out at the gym, playing video games, exploring real life mysteries online, and listening to intellectually stimulating podcasts on a variety of topics (usually while doing jigsaw puzzles) are just a few of my present interests. I agree - - people with active imaginations often come up with different new activities that make life fun.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Being able to entertain oneself is a learned skill and one that is helpful, or even crucial, in retirement.
So true! I like being retired and don't often get bored. There are times when I do but then I just pick up a book or a camera and go off to another world.

But I've never been so bored that I wanted to repaint the house.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #15

Any advice on how to get the DW down that path? I think I'll be fine, but she really needs structure that she finds with a job. She retired from Army 22 years ago, then after a year, went to work for school lunch program, retired couple months ago. Now, she went back to work at a local hotel.

How do I help her to find structure without a job?
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But I've never been so bored that I wanted to repaint the house.
Me either.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Any advice on how to get the DW down that path? I think I'll be fine, but she really needs structure that she finds with a job. She retired from Army 22 years ago, then after a year, went to work for school lunch program, retired couple months ago. Now, she went back to work at a local hotel.

Is she really looking for structure - or is she trying to get away from you?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

May I suggest the ownership and maintenance of a sizeable, older home with large yard? There is never any lack of things to be done on a daily, weekly, and seasonal basis and there's a sense of accomplishment, too...it's not just busywork.

Amethyst

Quote:

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Try letting her alone. "The heart has its reasons of which reason knoweth not." ~Blaise Pascal

Often a man can please a woman more by admiring and respecting her, and letting her alone to choose her own goals, than by trying to take over for her. And that is not hard to understand. After all, when we start giving her directions, we are actually saying that in our eyes, she is not capable of dealing with her own life.

To my eye, women as a group are at least as capable as men are, and almost always less bossy.

Ha
Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #20

Quote:
That pretty much nailed it for me. Since I have been retired I don't have boredom issues. There's so much to do and learn now that I have control of all my time. When I was working, it was a major problem. That's because I was not in control of my environment and tried to do the best I could under the circumstances. I cannot believe how fast time flies by now. It used to just drag along while working.