Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right now I'm bored. I'm guessing it is a combo of:
1) Heavy rains here forced me to sit around and read a lot yesterday
2) Got up feeling a little like I should have slept more
3) Stock market down, newspaper late delivery
4) Still raining outside (but we really needed this stuff)

So ... I'll drink a few cups of coffee, do something active like writing about boredom here, and get out doing walking or running in the rainy hills around here.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Although I am still very new to the ER world, I cannot fathom being bored...the time is flying by, even on the days I really don't do ANYTHING. I am in the house most of the day since the weather isn't very pleasant, but I imagine when spring arrives, I will have even MORE to occupy my time. I had a fear that I would be on the this (and a couple of other) forum night and day, but I am finding that I am on it even less than when I was w*rking.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Last night I was so "un-bored" that I stayed up way later than usual, working on my Excel spreadsheets for my usual New Year's Day analyses, for rebalancing at that time, and for figuring out exactly how much I really do want to withdraw next year. We are getting so close to the end of 2014 that I am getting excited about it! I can hardly wait to close 2014 (financially), and embark on 2015. I set up my spending spreadsheet for 2015, too. Oh gosh, I admit it - - I just love this kind of stuff.

I suspect that ER Forum members are some of the very few who can appreciate the hedonic joy of playing in the numbers.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I can't remember the last time I was bored. I don't think retirement has anything to do with boredom. If someone finds retirement (or working at a particular job) boring, they can remedy it.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Fortunately there is an easy cure for boredom. It's called w*rk.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Last night I was so "un-bored" that I stayed up way later than usual, working on my Excel spreadsheets for my usual New Year's Day analyses, for rebalancing at that time, and for figuring out exactly how much I really do want to withdraw next year. We are getting so close to the end of 2014 that I am getting excited about it! I can hardly wait to close 2014 (financially), and embark on 2015. I set up my spending spreadsheet for 2015, too. Oh gosh, I admit it - - I just love this kind of stuff.

I suspect that ER Forum members are some of the very few who can appreciate the hedonic joy of playing in the numbers.

You're speaking my language.
pihwoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Fortunately there is an easy cure for boredom. It's called w*rk.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

UPDATE: Not bored anymore. Coffee, running in the mud and puddles, and buying a new carry on suitcase for trips relieved the boredom.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
I work the "dog days of winter". After the holidays, I can't wait to get back to the CPA back office and do tax returns (even though I'm an engineer) as I am so bored. But by April, I can't wait to get away from the office and back outside. Repeat every year for last 15. Don't really need the money, though in earlier years of retirement it gave some increase in security. And my employer knows this, so they keep the hassle factor low and let me call my own hours. WIn-Win. Probably continue until RMDs start and boys finish college when me and DW can start what some would consider a typical retirement
I hope you're not "Trading Places" with a CPA who engineered the Kansas City Hyatt Regency walkway or the I-35 bridge in the Twin Cities!
Texconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The question remains: are you still silly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
UPDATE: Not bored anymore. Coffee, running in the mud and puddles, and buying a new carry on suitcase for trips relieved the boredom.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... We are getting so close to the end of 2014 that I am getting excited about it! I can hardly wait to close 2014 (financially), and embark on 2015. I set up my spending spreadsheet for 2015, too. Oh gosh, I admit it - - I just love this kind of stuff.

Its fun when the markets are up. That VPW calculator has emboldened me to think about higher spending in 2015. I'm a total spreadsheet junky too.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The question remains: are you still silly?
I'm definitely bored silly.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

When I'm bored in retirement, I'll make a trip to Colorado, do what's LEGAL there, borrow a gun from brewer and make the world a better place.

That means "sans moi".
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Being able to entertain oneself is a learned skill and one that is helpful, or even crucial, in retirement. Those who haven't bothered to learn it as a schoolchild, and who are not willing to make the effort to learn it later on in their adult years or in retirement, probably would be happiest if they just keep working.
Hopefully they will contribute to SS for the rest of us.

That said, my sig line nicely pertains to the thread topic, doesn't it!
+1
I don't ever remember being bored in my life. Retirement won't change that. Self-generative individuals just don't know how to be bored. This new chapter in my life has already begun unfolding.

OTOH, I think being bored is the ultimate luxury, as is sleeping in or choosing to do nothing all day--simply because you can--and I have every intention of trying these out in ER (in just 10 weeks)!
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
You had me at running in the mud and puddles! While drinking coffee? Bliss, not boredom!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #36

Boredom?! You're kidding right. I've only been ER for 6 months so I'm not one to judge I guess but I can tell you that I was none too happy at giving up my boredom when I started to get calls to come back to do things. Sadly, news of my departure made it to an old friend halfway across the country who is in a manpower jam and now I am going to have to go back and help out for a week or two a month until June. W*#k is very over-rated!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Gonna be doing some of that tomorrow. This week I had enough distributions paid out to cover my withdrawal, so the spreadsheet starts changing. Then with this week's drop in equities, the rebalance might go the other way. Things keep changing until the last minute! I don't know my final numbers until Jan 1!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

"When I'm bored, I take a nap, and it goes away." :-)
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #39

this time of year I get bored as the weather is not good here and I hate to sit around. what I did was take a job as a seasonal driver for FEDEX. you'd be surprised, I work from around 9 am and am done about 3pm. easy work, lots of driving to whatever area they send me. I see a lot of the country around here I never would have otherwise. it is thought provoking, not tedious, not labor intensive and keeps your interest.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Don't ever remember being bored... ever.

Life's activities change over the years. Truth be told, would like to go back to the first 20 or so years after retirement, when physical and mental activity was at the peak of enjoyment, but that doesn't mean any discontent today... just a changing scene.

Now... different. As seen from long rambling posts, not so much of the physical/social activity. In its' place, (at least in winter)... the joy of complete freedom, to go with the flow, or to brave the storm. To drift back to comfortable hours of passive TV, or browsing the internet... or with sudden bursts of energy, to initiate some social contact, explore new vistas, repair, clean or begin some new project. The physical part of this is a damned nuisance. The biking, canoeing and camp maintenance of the other three seasons gives way to walking the mall with DW... sheesh imagine... the most fun part of that is a chance to speak French with the Tunisian lady that runs a shop in the mall.

Anyway... life in the final quarter century has adjusted to the limitations of the body. Not at all unpleasant, given the small burden of cares.
.................................................. ....................
(sigh)... ruminating here brought a flashback to the early 1980's, a momentary stressful part of life, long forgotten... when the world was not as pleasant. A recurring thought of throwing a brick through the window of a bank... and going to a quiet jail cell with a stack of books to read.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote