Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which Pain-Reliever Works Best for You?
Aspirin 8 8.89%
Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) 5 5.56%
Ibuprofen (e.g. Advil) 48 53.33%
Naproxen (e.g. Aleve) 17 18.89%
Other 12 13.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Which Pain-Reliever Works Best for You?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Which Pain-Reliever Works Best for You?

I realize there are different kinds of pains and situations, but which OTC pain-reliever is most effective for you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I voted "other". I have taken just about every kind of pain med there is at one time or another. I can no longer take NSAID's due to stomach problems. The drug that worked the best for me was VIOXX, until the FDA took it off the market. I now use extended release Ultram, which is a synthetic narcotic.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
gone traveling

A glass of red wine usually takes care of all of my physical/emotional "pains" ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I take Ibuprofen in the day and Tylenol PM at night.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I didn't vote because i'm not sure how to. Naproxen is the best by far for my joint pain but does nothing for my headaches. I take excedrin for those. I take ibuprofren for my muscle pain. Way too much pain for a 31 y.o.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you take all OTC candidates in placebo-controlled trials, they are about the same. So individual experience counts for a lot.

NSAIDs can cause gastric, platelet, and kidney problems, usually when used in excessive doses. Acetaminophen can cause liver problems with higher doses, esp with alcohol.
Probably best not to mix aspirin with NSAIDs due to accumulative platelet problems.

I use ibuprofen very infrequently and find that 400mg (2 tabs) is usually enough.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

for arthritis and the minor race wrecks (cycling) I rely on Motrin....when the wrecks require surgery then Vicoprofen
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We keep all of the above in our medicine cabinet, but I rarely take anything other than aspirin. However, for occasional back muscle aches, Aleve seems to work best.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

800 mg Ibuprofen after food. Usually one dose is enough but if I've really beaten myself up (or aggravated a knee) then I might keep it up 3x/day.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I tough out pain more than I used to, after learning that NSAIDS and acetaminophen can actually damage one's hearing.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
We keep all of the above in our medicine cabinet, but I rarely take anything other than aspirin. However, for occasional back muscle aches, Aleve seems to work best.
+1
I rarely (maybe once a year) will take whatever is handy, usually two generic ibuprofen.

DW uses ibuprofen at least a couple of times a week, and prefers Aleve for muscle pain.

I might be a bit weird unusual, since I've had exactly four headaches in my entire life, and they were mild.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I used to take ibuprofen when running marathons and ultras, but then read about possible damage to the kidneys when doing this. I've switched to taking an Aleve a couple of hours before, and if I really have to, I'll take at most 1 during a race, but preferably afterward when I know I'm rehydrated.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I haven't taken a pain killer in at least 3 years, maybe 5. I try not to take them except under extraordinary circumstances.

But anyway, Advil works best for me when one is necessary.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Prior to crash I would have answered ibuprofen. But this week aspirin and Tylenol have seemed better. Aleve seemed to do nothing. Hard to know for sure.

None have worked well.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I tough out pain more than I used to, after learning that NSAIDS and acetaminophen can actually damage one's hearing.
What? I mean, what?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
A glass of red wine usually takes care of all of my physical/emotional "pains" ...
+1

My doctor (a native of Italy) actually told me if I had some mild pain in my wrists and upper body and had trouble sleeping soundly, a glass of wine, preferably red wine, would be OK instead of anything in the form of a pill. She said just don't have more than 1 glass, with a wink. Moderation!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My doctor (a native of Italy) actually told me if I had some mild pain in my wrists and upper body and had trouble sleeping soundly, a glass of wine, preferably red wine, would be OK instead of anything in the form of a pill. She said just don't have more than 1 glass...
... for each wrist and upper body...

Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #18

Ibuprofen works best for me.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
..a glass of wine, preferably red wine, would be OK instead of anything in the form of a pill. She said just don't have more than 1 glass, with a wink. Moderation!
Yes I vacillate between red wine and vodka. Vodka is best for headaches while red wine seems to work for joint issues.

If it is early in the day, then aspirin works best after breakfast.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #20

I take an ibuprofen or two on occasion, not more than a couple of times a month usually.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote