• Ibuprofen (e.g. Advil)

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Naproxen (e.g. Aleve)

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 13.3%

• Total voters

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I realize there are different kinds of pains and situations, but which OTC pain-reliever is most effective for you?

I voted "other". I have taken just about every kind of pain med there is at one time or another. I can no longer take NSAID's due to stomach problems. The drug that worked the best for me was VIOXX, until the FDA took it off the market. I now use extended release Ultram, which is a synthetic narcotic.

A glass of red wine usually takes care of all of my physical/emotional "pains" :cool: ...

I didn't vote because i'm not sure how to. Naproxen is the best by far for my joint pain but does nothing for my headaches. I take excedrin for those. I take ibuprofren for my muscle pain. Way too much pain for a 31 y.o.:(

If you take all OTC candidates in placebo-controlled trials, they are about the same. So individual experience counts for a lot.

NSAIDs can cause gastric, platelet, and kidney problems, usually when used in excessive doses. Acetaminophen can cause liver problems with higher doses, esp with alcohol.
Probably best not to mix aspirin with NSAIDs due to accumulative platelet problems.

I use ibuprofen very infrequently and find that 400mg (2 tabs) is usually enough.

for arthritis and the minor race wrecks (cycling) I rely on Motrin....when the wrecks require surgery then Vicoprofen

We keep all of the above in our medicine cabinet, but I rarely take anything other than aspirin. However, for occasional back muscle aches, Aleve seems to work best.

800 mg Ibuprofen after food. Usually one dose is enough but if I've really beaten myself up (or aggravated a knee) then I might keep it up 3x/day.

I tough out pain more than I used to, after learning that NSAIDS and acetaminophen can actually damage one's hearing.

Amethyst

We keep all of the above in our medicine cabinet, but I rarely take anything other than aspirin. However, for occasional back muscle aches, Aleve seems to work best.

+1
I rarely (maybe once a year) will take whatever is handy, usually two generic ibuprofen.

DW uses ibuprofen at least a couple of times a week, and prefers Aleve for muscle pain.

I might be a bit [-]weird[/-] unusual, since I've had exactly four headaches in my entire life, and they were mild.

I used to take ibuprofen when running marathons and ultras, but then read about possible damage to the kidneys when doing this. I've switched to taking an Aleve a couple of hours before, and if I really have to, I'll take at most 1 during a race, but preferably afterward when I know I'm rehydrated.

I haven't taken a pain killer in at least 3 years, maybe 5. I try not to take them except under extraordinary circumstances.

But anyway, Advil works best for me when one is necessary.

Prior to crash I would have answered ibuprofen. But this week aspirin and Tylenol have seemed better. Aleve seemed to do nothing. Hard to know for sure.

None have worked well.

A glass of red wine usually takes care of all of my physical/emotional "pains" :cool: ...
+1

My doctor (a native of Italy) actually told me if I had some mild pain in my wrists and upper body and had trouble sleeping soundly, a glass of wine, preferably red wine, would be OK instead of anything in the form of a pill. She said just don't have more than 1 glass, with a wink. Moderation! :D

My doctor (a native of Italy) actually told me if I had some mild pain in my wrists and upper body and had trouble sleeping soundly, a glass of wine, preferably red wine, would be OK instead of anything in the form of a pill. She said just don't have more than 1 glass...
... for each wrist and upper body...

..a glass of wine, preferably red wine, would be OK instead of anything in the form of a pill. She said just don't have more than 1 glass, with a wink. Moderation! :D
Yes I vacillate between red wine and vodka. Vodka is best for headaches while red wine seems to work for joint issues. :)

If it is early in the day, then aspirin works best after breakfast.

mild headaches/sinus headaches - acetaminophen
more severe pains including injuiry pains - ibuprofen
Injury pain that keeps you awake at night - naproxen

I had to use Aleve (naproxen) only for a couple of weeks when I injured my shoulder. I don't know what I would have done without it.

I take ibuprofen for monthly cramps, but won't take it for any kind of injury pain or muscle soreness from exercise. I've read that the particular mechanism NSAIDS have for relieving inflammation actually inhibits your body's optimum healing of injuries and also inhibits the healing of the micro muscle trauma that weight training causes (normally such inflammation triggers the body's healing mechanism and as a result your muscles repair and get stronger. As I understand it, NSAIDS alter this process.)

Back
Top Bottom