Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I feel your pain. I've always had white coat syndrome. The weight loss and increased activity probably does bring down your numbers. It's working on mine. I used to be 120/80 at home and 5-10 higher at the DR's office. Now I'm getting numbers like 96/58 at home on the same machine. I know if I go in now it will spike up to a more normal number in the office.

I do believe careful tracking and having your results there is the best way to go.
I do get the occasional 101/65 type reading at home which was a bit shocking at first, but now with many readings in the low 100s I'm getting used to it.

The gradually dropping numbers were tracking my gradual weight loss pretty well. This after years of not being able to get below a certain weight and my numbers gradually creeping up. All measured by the same device.

Yep - I continue to track.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At my Drs office BP is taken by the nurse, using the manual method, and I've noticed that some nurses use poor technique (e.g. have you hold you arm out unsupported or your arm too low, cuff over a shirt sleeve, etc). I personally feel the readings at home using my Omron are more reliable indicators.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #23

For me it's *front desk Nazi control freak receptionist* syndrome. And *balance-billing form sign here* syndrome. There's always some drama over that darn release form they want you to sign, and bp skyrockets.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

+1 on taking the device to the Dr's office. I've done that and found my device (manual sphygmomanometer) was pretty accurate. And found I have a bit of white coat syndrome too. I'm also not really "at rest for 5 minutes" before the nurse takes the reading in the exam room. I've been walking, standing, dealing with paperwork and insurance at the front desk, etc.

I'd show the doc your history of home readings and also ask them to take another reading or two once you've been able to sit on the chair/table for 5+ minutes. My doc seems to place more importance on home readings than a single data point in the office. He also complemented me on my fancy graph/spreadsheet I printed out once.

FYI, exercise, weight loss and stress reduction worked to cut my BP down to near-normal. Quitting work and getting off my ass mainly.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

No white coat syndrome, but I do still cringe at the sight of latex gloves...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #26

Went to an allergist yesterday. He told me that he could not find my pulse. He moved around on my wrist and finally found it. I used to participate in a mall walker's program that the local hospital was doing. They asked me to go walk for 15 minutes and come back, because it was so low. I get confused by it all. I was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter in 2014. I am on a beta blocker to lower the heart rate. Which is it--high or low
Old 08-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Went to an allergist yesterday. He told me that he could not find my pulse. He moved around on my wrist and finally found it. I used to participate in a mall walker's program that the local hospital was doing. They asked me to go walk for 15 minutes and come back, because it was so low. I get confused by it all. I was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter in 2014. I am on a beta blocker to lower the heart rate. Which is it--high or low
Beta blockers lower your heartrate, or mine anyway. I was on atenelol for years, heart rate was always 55, till it wasn't, they deceided that 35 BPM was too low. I don't know why, I kept thinking I was going to pass out!

Now I really think my BP is too low as I'm feeling like I'm going to pass out again. I see PCP in a few weeks, we'll have a nice discussion about it. Meanwhile a teaspoon of fish sauce 3 times a day has me feeling normal.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #28

Yes the beta blockers do lower your heart rate. The first incident, mall walking, was prior to being on beta blockers though. I guess that it was low, then went high and with the beta blockers, it is low again.

If I was feeling like I was going to pass out, I would definitely be seeing my doctor again. Hope they get your meds straightened out for you.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always had high BP and am on meds (family history on mother's side) and monitored it periodically. I am now monitoring it daily & at different times of the day because I started losing consciousness 2.5 weeks ago while at the kitchen counter chopping veggies for our lunch salad. Apparently my BP bottomed out. No history of these issues although I had symptoms for the 2 days prior where I would suddenly get very light headed for about 3-5 seconds.

I've learned you have to monitor your BP at the same time each day. Your BP is lowest in the a.m. and increases. My BP in the a.m. is around 115/80 or so and before I go to bed, it's around 145/85.

I'll get the results of the heart monitor I've been wearing for the last 2 weeks soon and will review all this w/the doctor.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I always tell any type of medical professional that it's hopeless to measure me, as my white coat syndrome is severe. I've been using an Omron at home for years where I'm typically a bit on the high side at 125-130/low 80's but get me near a doctor and it can be as high as 170/110.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
I always tell any type of medical professional that it's hopeless to measure me, as my white coat syndrome is severe. I've been using an Omron at home for years where I'm typically a bit on the high side at 125-130/low 80's but get me near a doctor and it can be as high as 170/110.
Wow - you make me feel better madsquopper!

Went in for my colonoscopy this morning, and BP was 137/? and pulse 113! I pointed the high pulse rate to the nurse and told her about my syndrome. By the time I was wheeled into the room it had come down to 123, and pulse was "only" 100 with no meds yet.

I was actually glad it was only 137 to start, because when I've been in for an actual procedure in the past, my BP has exceeded 145 or worse!
Old 09-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try relaxing to this soothing cat purr generator, also available as a free app.

Quote:
Scientific studies have shown that cat owners have lower blood pressure and can live longer than humans who don't own pets!
Cat Purr | Your Furry Friend's Noise, Online & Free
Old 09-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
What do you think your BP numbers might be if the doc came to your house wearing sweats and stayed in another room while you used your Omron to take your blood pressure?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

The same thing happened to me. About a month ago I went to the Doctor to check my BP and refill my prescription. I felt fine. No anxiety. I took my BP before leaving for the Doctor's appointment. It was fine. It was like 117/80 or close to that. When I went to the doctor's and he checked it , it read high. I went home and checked it again and it was going back down and soon thereafter was within normal range. I can only assume I saw the white coat and my BP went up. I know my BP monitor works and works well.