Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, people's builds vary. Given your great blood numbers and all, it sounds like you simply have a larger than average build. If you have great muscle tone, then I'll bet you are "curvy" versus fat. Perhaps you are stronger than average, too?

The old beauty bias toward frail, "willowy" builds for women seems to be changing, and a good thing too. Those builds have their own beauty. So does a strong, statuesque build.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I've been hesitant to post in this thread since I'm fat. Be every measure (clothes size, hip size, weight, etc.)

I eat less than everyone in my house. I take the dog on 2+ mile walks 4-5 days a week. I participate in water fitness classes 2 times a week. I use our elliptical usually 2x week. I've got great muscle tone.... under all the fat. When I take classes at the local community college I reach the 5th floor classroom via stairs, not elevator.

My blood pressure is normal to low. My cholesteral is low. My fasting blood glucose is low. So I'm not too worried about heart or diabetes. Plus there is no risk in my family tree for that stuff (we tend towards cancer.)

I am snug in airline seats - I can put the arms down... but it's tight. Worse is knee room... (I'm 5'9"). I guess my big booty pushes my whole body forward... or the seats are just too close together.

I've decided, consciously, not to let my weight keep e from doing activities that people might judge me. I go to the beach and body surf - even though that means public swimsuits. I'd rather enjoy the beach and not worry about whether I'm too fat to be there.

My husband theorizes that my years of dieting/regaining has kicked my metabolism lower...

I'd love to be thinner. But I also don't want to obsess about it - especially at almost 55 years old.... If my weight impacts my activities, I may start obsessing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #202

Yep curvy. I have a "pear" body, not an apple body. Defined waist, but large hips. Rubanesque on steroids. I don't know about stronger than average.... but I'm far from frail. Even still - the weight numbers, the clothes size, the BMI... I'm obese. No dodging that.

Well... Off to the beach to walk the dog for 2 miles.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

I totally will miss this thread as it decays into oblivion.
Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #204
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why do some people care so much that others are fat?

Quote:
Yep curvy. I have a "pear" body, not an apple body. Defined waist, but large hips. Rubanesque on steroids. I don't know about stronger than average.... but I'm far from frail. Even still - the weight numbers, the clothes size, the BMI... I'm obese. No dodging that.

Well... Off to the beach to walk the dog for 2 miles.

I've got a confession to make...that's not at all how I pictured you. In the same manner that I conjure up images of characters in the book I'm reading, I've got mental images of some some regular posters. Based on your avatar and posts regarding daily dog walks on the beach in CA, a busy life with your sons, Italian lessons, long European vacations, I pictured you as a 5'5", 115 lb redhead. I don't know how I came to that, but I did.

As for me, I'm "normal" weight and would never be considered frail, but I've got some jiggly parts that I prefer to keep covered.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #205
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I hear you, three sisters can have a lot of drama between them, I get it. I misunderstood and thought her comments really bothered you because you said you wondered if she hated you sometimes. But I am a little confused why you call the other sister out for saying intentionally hurtful things to the heavy sister, but give the heavy sister a pass when she does the same to you.

I think you must be a very compassionate person and would be a nice sister for anybody to have.It's not always easy to turn the other cheek.
No, her comments don't bother me and it doesn't happen often. I was posting because of the comment that heavy women hate thin women and want to sit on them. I could see my older sister saying something like that in frustration and then laughing about it.
I call out my other sister because she "tells people things for their own good" a lot. Even when she knows it will hurt their feelings. "You do know that hair cut makes your face look fat." "You should only wear solid colors because that striped dress makes your hips look big." These comments are made in front of other people. This sister is pretty, fit, married to a loving husband, has a great son, beautiful home and for all that is insecure. For some reason she feels the need to say unkind things to friends and family. My older sister wants to have "I'm only telling you this for your own good" put on younger sister headstone.
I think, in certain instances, it's easy to turn the other cheek especially where weight is the issue. For us it's mostly our genes that make 1 heavy and 2 thin.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I've got a confession to make...that's not at all how I pictured you. In the same manner that I conjure up images of characters in the book I'm reading, I've got mental images of some some regular posters. Based on your avatar and posts regarding daily dog walks on the beach in CA, a busy life with your sons, Italian lessons, long European vacations, I pictured you as a 5'5", 115 lb redhead. I don't know how I came to that, but I did.

As for me, I'm "normal" weight and would never be considered frail, but I've got some jiggly parts that I prefer to keep covered.
Add a couple inches in heat (I'm close to 5'9") and a hundred pounds... and you got it right. LOL. Busy life, red hair, etc are all accurate.

They don't make an avatar for fat... so I picked other features (red hair, glasses, big smile).

I'm also older than my avatar.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #207

Quote:
Add a couple inches in heat (I'm close to 5'9")...
I need to figure out just how I can use this information.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ha

LOL, this thread seems to have gone off on a tangent.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ha

Magnificent thought.

The Oblivion Tango

Old 06-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #210
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't help myself commenting ...

1. Being squished by the 300 pound man or woman (more and more of these) on the airplane
2. Paying whatever the cost differential is, when rolled up, between a healthy populace and an increasingly obese populace - it is, in the end, a type of insurance process
3. The likelihood the obese will raise obese children ... see 1 and 2, above

:-)
Old 06-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post

1. Being squished by the 300 pound man or woman (more and more of these) on the airplane...
I wonder how it would work having three, three hundred pounders sitting next to each other on a plane.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I wonder how it would work having three, three hundred pounders sitting next to each other on a plane.
I saw it happen! Former CIO was a big man(easy 300), played college ball as a lineman. We're going to Edinburgh from London, 45(?) minute flight plus taxi. He's upgrades to business and is the smallest guy in the row! Plus he gets the middle seat.

Fast forward to the evening flight back to London, both the other two are on the return flight. They're checking tickets to make sure it wasn't a repeat.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post

1. Being squished by the 300 pound man or woman (more and more of these) on the airplane

:-)
blame the airlines - they are many healthy people that weigh 300
Old 06-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #214

Talking about flights - I do think I should be able to check in one of my luggages for free since I weigh less than the average.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Talking about flights - I do think I should be able to check in one of my luggages for free since I weigh less than the average.

DW says she should be able to check 2 free bags since she weighs about 140 pounds less than I do
Old 06-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #216

Quote:

I cannot remember which airlines but it was a mid size plane, at least. They were requesting kids to get reseated so the weight was better distributed on the plane. I wondered if some people were too tiny on one side of the plane or too heavy. I did daydream heavy people making jokes to flight attendants.....

Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
DW says she should be able to check 2 free bags since she weighs about 140 pounds less than I do
Interestingly enough(?), my significant other weighs at least 140 pounds less than you. Because of this, I feel she should be able to check two free bags as well.

"What kind of thinking is that?"
"The kind that caused me to retire at 70. But, why do you ask?"
Old 06-16-2016, 04:08 AM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Oh heck, if she's that small, just put her in the overhead bin and use her seat to stow luggage!

Quote:
Interestingly enough(?), my significant other weighs at least 140 pounds less than you. Because of this, I feel she should be able to check two free bags as well.

"
Old 06-16-2016, 05:18 AM   #219
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh heck, if she's that small, just put her in the overhead bin and use her seat to stow luggage!
+1
I have tried suggesting this to my wife repeatedly (I am 6'4" 265lbs. and she is 5'0" 100lbs) and she continually fails to see the humor in it!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #220
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Maybe people care because (more than ever) we are paying for each other's health care and paying for poor decisions people make in virtually any area of their life?
"It's my decision" only works until you (or the government, at your behest) make others clean up the mess. Eat too much, don't exercise, smoke cigarettes, drive without a seatbelt--now it is everyone's business.
BINGO! +100

I don't care ONE IOTA what people do, how they live, what they ingest or do to their bodies, or what they are involved in...............UNTIL it affects me or my finances. This obviously speaks only to those who have CONTROL over their situation, not those with thyroid and other medical issues.

Tags
fat, health, obese, other people, overweight