Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cut-rate airlines do random seat assignments. Are you saying Malcolm should stop LBYM and pony up for a higher-priced ride?

And you still haven't explained why you'll defer to "families." Malcolm ranks higher with you if he's traveling with family members?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
well the poor person, let's call them Malcolm....should have bought his/her ticket earlier and got an aisle or window seat, not my problem

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
well the poor person, let's call them Malcolm....should have bought his/her ticket earlier and got an aisle or window seat, not my problem
Right and how do you know he didn't have a misconnect or a family emergency, or a last minute business trip he had to take in coach?

Do unto others, it's usually a pretty good policy that helps people get along. It's a shame air travel has turned into this dog eat dog world and everybody thinks it's okay. In general if the airlines would enforce the 2 seat rule, everyone would be happier, but can you imagine having a people sizer at the gate?

They basically made an unenforceable rule. And as always people tend to bend things to their advantage, it's human nature. I'm not singling you out in any way, everybody does it.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Cut-rate airlines do random seat assignments. Are you saying Malcolm should stop LBYM and pony up for a higher-priced ride?

And you still haven't explained why you'll defer to "families." Malcolm ranks higher with you if he's traveling with family members?.
if Malcolm had a medical issue and needed an aisle seat, like DW, he/she needs to pony up, simple as that - if he/she wants to live on the cheap, you gotta pay the price sometimes

DW has to have an aisle for her leg so we tend to plan ahead

I almost always take the window so I don't get clipped by the beverage cart and I can squeeze in toward the window

If I'm by myself, then I'll move to another window to accommodate a family. When I'm with DW we don't move. She got screwed over once on a flight from SEA to IAH when she moved for someone. She got a stuck in a nonreclining seat for 4 hours so we refuse to move nowadays.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
They basically made an unenforceable rule. And as always people tend to bend things to their advantage, it's human nature. I'm not singling you out in any way, everybody does it.
there are almost always WAY larger people on a flight than I

seat belt always fits fine...armrests don't always go down like they should tho

it's the airlines fault for making the seat smaller, don't blame me for being a tackle
Old 06-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Right and how do you know he didn't have a misconnect or a family emergency, or a last minute business trip he had to take in coach?
bummer, you gotta do what you gotta do
Old 06-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
30-45 minutes? Whys so early? I recollect driving up to the terminal entrance in rental car, getting out, tossing keys at rental counter attendant, running to gate & getting on, no boarding passes, just ticket. Ten minutes was plenty of time.

Because routes were assigned by FAA, some flights were near empty. Recall a Saturday SMF-ORD flight with more attendants than passengers.
Ah, that brings back memories. I spent a good bit of time flying to and from Anchorage to NY in the seventies and eighties. Used to show up with 250+ lb of excess baggage, half hour before takeoff, mostly to handle the excess baggage, $20.- to the skycap and pay around $ 50 extra for the excess baggage. What is this boarding pass thing?

After the TSA, I flew once and swore nver again will I ever take a commercial flight, have not done since. The airlines seemed to have mastered the Steerage class very well. Even if it cost triple I'd drive to whrever, or take a freighter if ocean crossing is involved.

Several times in those days left JFK on 747 with four or five passangers, drop off one or two in DC, pickup maybe two or there, similar routine MinneapolisSt Pul. More Stews than fares. All of us in first class regardless of ticket. Open cockpit for those intersted in riding the jump seat for a while and getting the pilots view of the scenery.

FLying in the Aleutians on Reeve, was even more fun. YS11 TurboProp, RollsRoyce engines, front half thecargo, a few dogs, back half passangers, the route and altitude to wherever depended on fog, active volcanoes or other ineresting stuff. The pilots would circle around a few times an active volcano to make sure we got good pictures, or a few hundred feet off the Bering sea to watch a pod of whales. No extra charge, oh and no first class.

As for the morbidly obese, I usually get annoyed when two of them leaning on their shopping carts for support, shooting the breeze in the supermarket and totally blocking the lanes, thus I have to go to the next isle to get to where the stuff is that I want.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
there are almost always WAY larger people on a flight than I

seat belt always fits fine...armrests don't always go down like they should tho

it's the airlines fault for making the seat smaller, don't blame me for being a tackle
+1

Till the airlines step up and say "you must fit in the seat this way". Have a test seat like carry on(cause everyone follows that)

I wouldn't pay for 2 if I had the choice. Who would? What if the rows empty, I paid for two, that's nonsense. If you did that someone would whinge "there's an empty seat and they said the flight was full and Aunt Sally had to take a different flight!"
Old 06-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1

Till the airlines step up and say "you must fit in the seat this way". Have a test seat like carry on(cause everyone follows that)

I wouldn't pay for 2 if I had the choice. Who would? What if the rows empty, I paid for two, that's nonsense. If you did that someone would whinge "there's an empty seat and they said the flight was full and Aunt Sally had to take a different flight!"
I agree with this completely..but I don't think it will ever happen. It's not natural to expect someone to pay double price when another oversized person paid single price and still gets the empty seat....I wouldn't pay it either, it's going to be everybody pays or nobody pays. Right now it's nobody....it's in the contract of carriage about fitting into your seat, but it's ignored.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #149

A few months ago I flew Southwest from DEN to HOU and there was this huge dude (he wasn't very tall but he was pretty big) sitting on the front row aisle and an empty seat next to him with a sign that said "seat taken"

I guess he had to buy two seats
Old 06-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #150

And by the way, you don't need to be obese to block the lane in the grocery store, standing there and talking on your cell phone will do the trick too, even better stand in front of the produce or the meat counter and talk on your phone......I've had dudes play angry birds in front of me at checkout and not unload their cart..I once told a guy the belts open now do you want to start unloading and he told me "it's not really any faster,... yes but it's faster for me!

Oh well that topic's for another place....
Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The title is the topic. The "Why do we get fat" thread reminded me that many people really dislike seeing others who are fat....
Amethyst
Why do many people dislike seeing others who are fat?
Several or many reasons: we can start with two.

One is that vastly overweight people (and I'm not talking about large people such as Big Hitter or LeBron) ((guess I just put LeBron in with some pretty good company)), but people who are truly overweight have more skin area.

"Huh?", you may say. Well more skin shows more imperfections such as red blemishes or dark spots, and over a larger area of skin, the blemishes and spots are larger than they would be on smaller person who has less skin. Also, it seems to me (I'm not sure about this), but truly overweight people seem have more bumps and lumps and hair growing out of places that hair usually doesn't grow out of. Who likes seeing that? It's kind of looking at yourself in a magnified mirror. Ick.

"Go on, redduck."
"OK."

Also, overweight people don't have much choice in the clothes they wear. The extra-extra-extra large+ is just not very cool--unless it's Roco Wear or Ecko Wear (gangsta' clothing). In general, clothes often look unflattering or even sloppy on heavy people.

So when we ("speak for yourself, redduck"): OK, when I see these grossly overweight people with large blemishes, etc. and wearing unflattering clothing, I often think I'm looking at someone who has simply given up. It me makes uncomfortable when I see that (and, I know I may be viewing it incorrectly).
Old 06-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Here is another perspective from the artistic standpoint. I've done several life drawing classes. The curvy people were more interesting to draw then the low BMI types. There was just more there to emphasize. Even an obese female model was quite interesting from the drawing standpoint. I had real trouble drawing a very pretty blond female model that was fairly thin.

Renoir didn't do obese women but they were definitely on the chubby side. Of course, they were mostly pretty youngish -- probably under 40. He's one of my favorite artists.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Last United flight I was on, the Premier seat I paid extra for was better than the coach regular one. What irked me is that the airline gave away the remaining empty Premier seats to folks who had been overbooked by United on the flight. Nice way to treat us paying customers.
If the flight is full, once regular economy fills, the last passengers without assigned seats will get economy plus seats. That's how it works. A passenger can hope to get one this way by waiting, or you can pay extra ahead to guarantee an economy plus seat.

They aren't going to fly with empty economy plus seats if they have enough passengers to fill the plane. All the passengers are paying customers.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If the flight is full, once regular economy fills, the last passengers without assigned seats will get economy plus seats. That's how it works. A passenger can hope to get one this way by waiting, or you can pay extra ahead to guarantee an economy plus seat.

They aren't going to fly with empty economy plus seats if they have enough passengers to fill the plane. All the passengers are paying customers.
That's why it's not a good deal to purchase those seats, unless you really want to.

That's also another reason I am totally sick of flying on U.S. based commercial airlines after 40 years of it. You have the ability to pay a PREMIUM for a seat and still can have a screaming baby next to you with her mother who not pay for the privilege.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That's why it's not a good deal to purchase those seats, unless you really want to.

That's also another reason I am totally sick of flying on U.S. based commercial airlines after 40 years of it. You have the ability to pay a PREMIUM for a seat and still can have a screaming baby next to you with her mother who not pay for the privilege.
Or you can have a screaming fussy toddler (2 years) in a seat next to you that did pay for the privilege. Infant in arms isn't that big of a deal and open to everybody. Some parents have economy plus privileges and use them.

You still have more legroom, first in line for food/beverage service and ahead of standard economy for getting off the plane. It's worth it to us. The rest of it is just part of dense travel. We might luck out with an empty seat between us, but that doesn't mean there won't be a very noisy child two rows back. A reason we travel with ear plugs and headphones.

Last flight to Hawaii we took advantage of a great deal on a first class upgrade. Well the two ladies in front of us talked nonstop for five hours. Just luck.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well the two ladies in front of us talked nonstop for five hours.
Oh wow.....did you bring back memories......January 1981...I'd just finished an assignment in Richardson, TX, and was flying home DFW to Toronto.

An entire plane load of Mary Kay 'prizewinners', (highest sales per region), a non-stop cacophony of babble....aaaaarrrgh.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Oh wow.....did you bring back memories......January 1981...I'd just finished an assignment in Richardson, TX, and was flying home DFW to Toronto.

An entire plane load of Mary Kay 'prizewinners', (highest sales per region), a non-stop cacophony of babble....aaaaarrrgh.
Oh no. I got stuck doing an extra day in Denver had no reservations for the night. Guy I was with was a Marriott Black card so we got two rooms at the sold out hotel. We pull in the lot, full of pink Cadillacs, as well as the hotel. There was more perfume in the place that I could stand.

Flying stinks anymore. I'll be happy to drive a few days and make a more interesting trip than flying. I didn't like to fly in the 90s, I did a lot, I was forced to for w*rk. Not now.

So why do people care? Why did(I assume sideshows are gone) sideshows have obese people on display?
Old 06-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post

Your fault for going to Richardson TX, LOL!

Wow - a whole plane load of ultra extroverts!
Old 06-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm sure the airlines have run the numbers but one has to wonder if they have considered how many customers they've lost and will lose because of the lousy service.
"I will never again Fly on a Commercial Carrier again" is an empty threat in a "Supply and Demand" economy... unless you have too much money to spend or a lot of non-committed time. (If that is you, then this may be of some interested -- if, for some unknown reason, you wish to save a buck or two: 10 Ways to Fly on a Private Jet for Less.) And even then, those "legions" that "must" fly will more than offset your puny contribution to the bottom line.

(Full disclosure: I have only flown twice commercially in the past 15 years -- both times to Hawaii -- after flying ~20,000 mile per year each of the previous twenty.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #160

Still, one does wonder how many people are driving to destinations where they might have flown before. Deregulation was part of it but the post-9/11 police state in airports and on planes and the general deterioration in service have probably turned many people off flying. You don't always have the choice to drive, but I know DH and I do it more and more, and that started even before I retired.

Tags
fat, health, obese, other people, overweight