Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think WR2 nailed it.

Previously I was obese and after last year my BMI is normal. What I see is some people are finding me more acceptable for them to associate with. I find that very odd, says much about them.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Sweet crap on a cracker...
Sounds delicious but I bet it's fattening.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Oh, yes. Just quit smoking, just quit drinking, just lost 100 pounds, just found religion, you name it.

I'm good...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Add to that new parents!
And new pet owners!
Old 05-30-2016, 02:21 AM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I know this is quibbling, but size 4 isn't small, these days. It is more of a medium size. A woman can weigh 135 pounds and wear size 4.
We are living in the UK at present and a few days ago went clothes shopping. At one point DW said, "I liked it in the USA when I was a size 4, now I seem to be back to a size 12".
Old 05-30-2016, 02:37 AM   #46

My brother who was half the weight of bclover's friend, and he died of a heart attack at 60. He was a smoker too. He rarely ate vegetables. He loved meat.
His daughter now exercises like crazy. She is very petite.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:59 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Not what it was 30 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Sweet crap on a cracker. What the heck is a size 8 then??
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:39 AM   #48

I weighed 125 lbs at 5'7" in highschool and sewed my own clothes (as many did at the time). In Simplicity and Butterick patterns I was a size 10 or 12. The same size now is a 4 or 6. That's how much "vanity" sizing has changed things.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:53 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

You women are not alone. Mens sizes change too. My coworker's wife would relabel the waist measurement on her husband's Levi jeans to make him appear thinner than he really was.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:35 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are living in the UK at present and a few days ago went clothes shopping. At one point DW said, "I liked it in the USA when I was a size 4, now I seem to be back to a size 12".
DW sometimes tries on clothes advertised as 'petite', and gets lost in them - seems 'petite' has been reclassified as 'short' in many instances.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:52 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a friend that only eat salads. She usually buy them ready at supermarkets. Her plate always looks more white than green. Macaroni salad, coslaw, cheese, croutans. She always complaints and comments that she can't understand why she eats so little and can't stay at a normal weight. She also ask me what I eat that I am always at a normal weight. Once I told her that her plate should look more green than white, and this will make the difference. Her reaction was actually I am not that fat. I shop at Chicos and size 4 fits me very well. Chicos sizing explains all https://www.chicos.com/store/page.jsp?id=45.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
emerytura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
DW sometimes tries on clothes advertised as 'petite', and gets lost in them - seems 'petite' has been reclassified as 'short' in many instances.

Um, that is exactly what "petite" clothes are. Shorter inseams, shorter rise, shorter arms.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Um, that is exactly what "petite" clothes are. Shorter inseams, shorter rise, shorter arms.
More 'word drift' I guess.

Here's the definition as I always understood it:

Quote:
pe·tite
pəˈtēt/
adjective
(of a woman) having a small and attractively dainty build.
"she was petite and vivacious"
synonyms: small, dainty, diminutive, slight, little, tiny, elfin, delicate, small-boned

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I weighed 125 lbs at 5'7" in highschool and sewed my own clothes (as many did at the time). In Simplicity and Butterick patterns I was a size 10 or 12. The same size now is a 4 or 6. That's how much "vanity" sizing has changed things.
You'd think there wouldn't be much of an issue with vanity sizing in men's clothes as the numbers should just be a straight measurement of the waist (or arm, etc). But I always wore a size 32 waist all the way back to HS -- however now my 32W shorts from costco will fall down without a belt. It looks like I could add a football to my belly and it would still fit.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:59 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
It honestly breaks my heart to see people who struggle with their weight, especially younger folks who are experiencing disease and disabilities in their 20s and 30s that normally don't show up until much later in life.
This is my other area of concern: quality of life. I don't know what it's like to carry around 100 lbs. of extra weight, but I imagine it makes your everyday existence that much harder, and it's a load on your back, your hips, your knees, etc. That can discourage someone from a lot of wonderful active pursuits like hiking or bicycling, which can then lead to less activity and less mobility. I'm 63 and get up in the morning pretty much pain-free even when I've bicycled 35 miles the day before.

The effects of prevention were really driven home to me last week. There's a lady in our church who personifies the phrase "rode hard and put up wet"- you just look at her and know she had a hard life. Thin hair, missing teeth, on oxygen, moves slowly, although she's not that much overweight. After a bad fall she wore a neck brace for nearly a year. I thought she was older than I am. I noticed her birth date in the church directory. She's 58. She's just scraping by economically and she's pretty much unemployable due to her physical limitations.

A bit off the track since overweight wasn't her main problem, but I wish everyone could feel as healthy and energetic as I do at my age. Part of it is good genes and sheer luck- I know that- but part of it can be managed.

Hankster mentioned being kind to overweight young people knowing what difficulties they might have; I belong to a Planet Fitness and they emblazon the words "Judgment-Free Zone" all over the walls. I like their attitude. We have a good mix of the general population in there- young and old, zealots and people trying hard to get up off the couch. I like that.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
This is my other area of concern: quality of life. I don't know what it's like to carry around 100 lbs. of extra weight, but I imagine it makes your everyday existence that much harder, and it's a load on your back, your hips, your knees, etc. That can discourage someone from a lot of wonderful active pursuits like hiking or bicycling, which can then lead to less activity and less mobility. I'm 63 and get up in the morning pretty much pain-free even when I've bicycled 35 miles the day before.

..snip..
Can't say I know what a hundred feels like but fifty plus, yes. I put on weight slowly in my late 20s (started at a desk job) I was skinny at 27. By 56, I carried an additional 60 pounds around with me. Miserable shape, always hot, out of breath, no desire to change. Frankly I didn't know it was the weight, perhaps denial, but I honestly believed it was age. When we started walking last May our first walk was to the nearest cross road and home. I should mention it's very hilly where we live so it's harder to walk. I had to stop nine times on that walk to catch my breath. Couple of times I swore it was all over, I'm ready, Lord, come take me.

After we got back I was done for the day. Need rest, then the pain and stiffness, Achilles was too tight. That terrible walk took 48 minutes! Sounds like a heck of a walk, later I learned it was exactly one half mile out and obviously the same back. Yes a 48 minute mile kicked my a $$. Granted it is hilly, I had to walk in front of DW as she couldn't keep her footing going downhill. That 48 minute mile we regularly do in 16 minutes now then go one or two more. I plan to do it in 12 minutes this year.

The benefits of losing are many, I no longer take meds for BP, Tachacardia, GERD, insomnia. For some reason the regularly reoccurring cluster headaches I've had since 2010 have disappeared. I wouldn't believe it had someone promised me this gift.

Now the negative, instead of always being too hot, I'm often cold!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
You'd think there wouldn't be much of an issue with vanity sizing in men's clothes as the numbers should just be a straight measurement of the waist (or arm, etc). But I always wore a size 32 waist all the way back to HS -- however now my 32W shorts from costco will fall down without a belt. It looks like I could add a football to my belly and it would still fit.
I discovered this back in the 90's. I tried measuring my waist before shopping for clothes and discovered that the waist measurements on men's trousers in the stores were at least 2" less than reality.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #58

What anyone does with/to their own body doesn't bother me until it impacts me or my family. Thus, it usually only becomes an issue on an airplane, and even then only very rarely, and often not at all. If DW and I are seated together and a very large person happens into our row, we are small enough that we have plenty of room between two seats to allow a little overflow or what have you. Even if there's no room for overflow, it's an inconvenience for me for a couple of hours whereas the person has to live with it and all of the health and social aspects all the time. I try to keep that in mind when the initial pang of inconvenience hits, and I try to give benefit of the doubt rather than assuming they're just eating chips and chugging soda 100% of the time and being judgmental. I admit this is a work in progress.

Otherwise, it doesn't bother me, and I wish everyone the best in their personal battles if they choose to wage them.

I do have a hard time believing all obese people don't want to be obese. I think there is some portion of the populace that is perfectly happy with how they are and unwilling to make life changes. I think that's a very small percentage, but I have to believe there are a few out there based on my experiences at the grocery store. Or perhaps it's ignorance. I don't know, but it's generally none of my business.

I can't get behind the "we all pay their medical bills" rationale. My father's pancreatic cancer treatment was almost entirely funded by tax payers (via Tricare and Medicare) and had nothing to do with obesity or probably any other preventable cause. I know how much the taxpayers paid to treat him for three years. My health care is also paid for by tax payers (as is my salary and a good portion of my retirement) and likely will be for my entire life, so it'd be awfully hypocritical of me to bemoan public expenditures on health care for just about anyone.

...Especially because I'll probably need knee surgeries from all the running!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I can't get behind the "we all pay their medical bills" rationale. My father's pancreatic cancer treatment was almost entirely funded by tax payers (via Tricare and Medicare) and had nothing to do with obesity or probably any other preventable cause. I know how much the taxpayers paid to treat him for three years. My health care is also paid for by tax payers (as is my salary and a good portion of my retirement) and likely will be for my entire life, so it'd be awfully hypocritical of me to bemoan public expenditures on health care for just about anyone.

...Especially because I'll probably need knee surgeries from all the running!
Pancreatic cancer is one of those "there but for the grace of God go I" health problems. The whole principle of insurance is that the large losses of the unfortunate few are shared by all of the policyholders. No matter how hard I work to stay healthy I'm not immune to a similar catastrophe and that's why I buy health insurance.

My issue is with the increased costs of healthcare due to preventable conditions. We could realize huge savings if people took better care of themselves, and everyone would win.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

We've almost gotten rid of smoking (yay!) but guess what...every silver lining, it seems, has a cloud: 15 studies reviewed by the US Surgeon General in 1990 found that four-fifths of people who quit smoking gained weight (average: 5 pounds).

gaining weight after quitting smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Pancreatic cancer is one of those "there but for the grace of God go I" health problems. The whole principle of insurance is that the large losses of the unfortunate few are shared by all of the policyholders. No matter how hard I work to stay healthy I'm not immune to a similar catastrophe and that's why I buy health insurance.

My issue is with the increased costs of healthcare due to preventable conditions. We could realize huge savings if people took better care of themselves, and everyone would win.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fat, health, obese, other people, overweight