Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since blood glucose meters are inexpensive nowadays, do folks use them even without a health requirement to have one?

I do not, but I have often wondered what I eat does to my blood sugar levels.

So if you have used one, what did you learn? For instance, if your level goes way up or way down, do you feel hungrier?

Or if you eat greek yoghurt and fruit for breakfast is your level different than if you eat oatmeal and fruit for breakfast?

Or how about before and after exercise such as a 30 minute run or a 60 minute walk?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Chances are, oatmeal doesn't cause a major change in BS relative to the fruit. I've never noticed the roller coaster from oatmeal, and I still eat it prior to long runs. My BS issue which made me feel famished by 9AM after breakfast at 6 was likely caused by the other stuff - honey to some extent, but certainly the fruit preserves, sunflower seed butter, and bagel - that I ate along with the oatmeal. I didn't need a BS meter to recognize the insulin roller coaster once I was aware of its existence, and that's what forced the change in my breakfast habit.

Some days, if my caloric intake is too low and I run, I'll get a BS drop afterwards. In those cases, I usually drink a glass of OJ and that'll stabilize me in a few minutes, then I can go with whatever else I want post run (banana, protein, whatever).

In summary, I don't need the BS meter to tell me my BS is much more stable now with the greek yogurt/fruit concoction than it was before with the high carb/high-ish sugar breakfast. I can feel the difference both in satiety and energy.

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
.......... I don't need the BS meter to tell me my BS is much more stable now .......
Me neither. Oh wait - did you mean blood sugar?
Attached Images
File Type: gif bullshit-meter.gif (176.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #264

THAT BS meter broke long ago. Something about being high out of range all the time.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

I replaced my BS meter with a Gloat-O-Meter. It's much more fun.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I replaced my BS meter with a Gloat-O-Meter. It's much more fun.
Now that is funny
Old 06-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Alright, does anybody use a glucose meter? Notwithstanding nash031's internal BS meter, does anybody use a real meter that is not subjective?
Old 06-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

I started using one about 7 or 8 years ago when my fasting blood glucose level crept up above 100 for the first time. My doc explained about pre-diabetic leading to full-blown diabetes, so I started checking myself regularly.

Once I understood the effects of what I ate (this took a few months of regular testing), I kept checking periodically for a couple of years.

But my glucose level has been below 100 for years now, and I no longer check it beyond the annual blood tests when I go in for my regular checkup.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #269

I have been a type 2 diabetic for 8 years, and while my fasting BG is typically around 114, my A1Cs have been in the 5.4 - 5.7 range. I do not test regularly any more, but I do get a quarterly blood test. Diabetes can certainly change over time, usually for the worse, but I figure the quarterly testing will catch any changes requiring further action, but after a bout of pancreatitis last year, I may need to be more vigilant in the future.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Alright, does anybody use a glucose meter? Notwithstanding nash031's internal BS meter, does anybody use a real meter that is not subjective?

I suspect it'd be helpful to identify when your BS is high/low and associate how you feel along with the hard data... the goal being to be able to identify the condition before it happens based on how you feel and correct it before you have to eat or overeat. I'd say have at it, but I don't think a non-diabetic needs to use one long term since there's no additional insulin correction required.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Some posters in some threads have mentioned testing their blood sugar regularly, even though they are not diabetic. Doesn't...it...hurt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I started using one about 7 or 8 years ago when my fasting blood glucose level crept up above 100 for the first time. My doc explained about pre-diabetic leading to full-blown diabetes, so I started checking myself regularly.

Once I understood the effects of what I ate (this took a few months of regular testing), I kept checking periodically for a couple of years.

But my glucose level has been below 100 for years now, and I no longer check it beyond the annual blood tests when I go in for my regular checkup.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Some posters in some threads have mentioned testing their blood sugar regularly, even though they are not diabetic. Doesn't...it...hurt?
Nope, the pin prick is just enough to get a drop of blood out. You usually have to adjust the lancing device so that it gives you right amount of blood, some measuring devices need very little.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I suspect it'd be helpful to identify when your BS is high/low and associate how you feel along with the hard data...
Yes, thanks, I wanted the hard data and it seems no one reading this thread has done the kinds of "experiments" that I would like to do. I guess I am just skeptical when an article claims a rise/fall in blood sugar because of something one ate. It would seem easy to test these claims nowadays.

It might be a decent 7th-grade science fair project, but would never get approved because of the use of human subjects.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #274

Quote:
Yes, thanks, I wanted the hard data and it seems no one reading this thread has done the kinds of "experiments" that I would like to do. I guess I am just skeptical when an article claims a rise/fall in blood sugar because of something one ate. It would seem easy to test these claims nowadays.

It might be a decent 7th-grade science fair project, but would never get approved because of the use of human subjects.
I don't know why you'd find that hard to believe. Blood glucose response to what you eat is very well-documented, and is the basis of insulin treatment for diabetics. Things like Gylcemic Index and such exist precisely because of these effects, and they help you shape a diet that maintains a relatively stable blood glucose by consuming foods with low GI, thus avoiding the insulin spike and subsequent biological response that causes hunger, "chills", shaking, fatigue, among a number of other responses. This information is the basis for treatment of hypo- and hyperglycemia, something my mom (hypo-) has dealt with for as long as I can remember (at least 30 years).

There's a wealth of information out there regarding GI that's been tested. Individual responses may vary to certain foods based on your own body's sensitivity to insulin, but I would encourage you to read some of that information before dropping your own money on a BG meter that may be unnecessary.

That said, I fully understand wanting to conduct that kind of self-experiment; I do it often when it comes to nutrition, but without the BG/BS meter!

It's also possible that I've completely missed the mark here on what you're interested in, but I'm just responding based on the stated skepticism that food consumed causes changes in blood sugar.

Linked is a published table by Harvard that shows both glycemic index and glycemic load for various foods. Foods with low glycemic load have less effect on your blood sugar and help maintain steady levels and prevent insulin spikes and their biological effects. These things make sense: a Coke has a higher glycemic load than an apple. Just about anything containing HFCS is going to have a greater effect on your BS than something with a naturally occurring sugar.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseas..._for_100_foods

Here's what WebMD has to say:

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/...rsus-bad-carbs

Quote:
Some foods can make your blood sugar shoot up very fast. That's because carbohydrates like refined sugars and bread are easier for your body to change into glucose, the sugar your body uses for energy, than more slowly digested carbs like those in vegetables and whole grains. Eat a lot of those easy carbohydrates and you'll have a hard time controlling your blood sugar, even with insulin and diabetesmedications.

The glycemic index gives you a way to tell slower-acting "good carbs" from the faster "bad carbs." You can use it to fine-tune your carb-counting and help keep your blood sugar more steady.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

@nash031, I have a PhD in biochemistry and have been a co-author on research papers related to the regulation of proteins related to the insulin response. But I have never dealt with human subjects ... just basic research. I have reviewed some research that has had to be retracted, so I am always skeptical of things until I see it with my own eyes.

For instance, your quote from WebMD is an example of something I can easily test myself "Some foods can make your blood sugar shoot up very fast." That makes me ask "How much? How fast?" I am also interested in the changes in blood glucose levels from drinking a can of Coke, a can of diet Coke, a can of Dr Pepper 10 (some sugar, some artificial sweetener), a soft drink with lots of ice, a soft drink with lots of ice over an hour, and so on. Or a breakfast of Oatmeal, Oatmeal with fresh blueberries, Oatmeal with craisins, Oatmeal with low-sugar craisins, and so on.

A blood glucose meter is not expensive nowadays and test strips are cheap, too.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #276

Quote:
@nash031, I have a PhD in biochemistry and have been a co-author on research papers related to the regulation of proteins related to the insulin response. But I have never dealt with human subjects ... just basic research. I have reviewed some research that has had to be retracted, so I am always skeptical of things until I see it with my own eyes.

For instance, your quote from WebMD is an example of something I can easily test myself "Some foods can make your blood sugar shoot up very fast." That makes me ask "How much? How fast?" I am also interested in the changes in blood glucose levels from drinking a can of Coke, a can of diet Coke, a can of Dr Pepper 10 (some sugar, some artificial sweetener), a soft drink with lots of ice, a soft drink with lots of ice over an hour, and so on. Or a breakfast of Oatmeal, Oatmeal with fresh blueberries, Oatmeal with craisins, Oatmeal with low-sugar craisins, and so on.

A blood glucose meter is not expensive nowadays and test strips are cheap, too.
Got it, didn't mean to be condescending... just trying to help without knowing the audience!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #277
Give me a forum ...

If anyone wants to recommend a particular brand of blood sugar test meter and kit, post here or send me a message. Thanks!

@nash031, BTW I didn't take your long response as condescending at all.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #278

Quote:
Since blood glucose meters are inexpensive nowadays, do folks use them even without a health requirement to have one?

I do not, but I have often wondered what I eat does to my blood sugar levels.

So if you have used one, what did you learn? For instance, if your level goes way up or way down, do you feel hungrier?

Or if you eat greek yoghurt and fruit for breakfast is your level different than if you eat oatmeal and fruit for breakfast?

Or how about before and after exercise such as a 30 minute run or a 60 minute walk?
I am not diabetic, but one of the doctors in the past said I was most likely pre-diabetic. (My current doctor says I am not - and that with my level of A1c and fasting BS, I will be fine.) I had a glucose meter years before this when I suspected problems with my body handling glucose (problem with eating high carb/sugar breakfast - very tired and sleepy and then very cranky afterwards). I know some of the folks here have done their experiments too although they are not classified as diabetic.

I have learned that I don't do well with some fast acting carbs especially if it is consumed with very little protein (My BS spikes and then shoots down.) I don't do well when my BS is below 80ish (my vision gets affected and my brain doesn't function as well). I can eat a bunch of french fries with some protein/fat with no problem (My BS doesn't get over 110, although french fries would most likely make me very fat.) My BS is acceptable on sprouted grain bread and basmati rice (I cannot do Japanese short grain rice) especially if they are consumed with some protein (It does go up to 130-140 without protein.) Black beans do not raise my BS much at all with or without protein/fat. Surprisingly, I cannot feel anything when my BS is high, although I could feel it when it gets down some of the time (when it shoots up fast and comes down fast - I get sleepy, cranky, and very hungry afterwards.)

I couldn't eat oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. That would be my "shoots up fast and comes down fast" kind of breakfast. I would probably be OK if it was a very small portion of oatmeal/fruit with some fast and protein to go with it. I do need to eat food like that when I am exercising a lot though. I need some fast acting carbs to burn to keep me going. Otherwise, a slice of spouted bread with an egg with olive oil or coconut oil, with 1/2 fruit is what I would consume, so if I could mimic something like that with the oatmeal/fruit combo, I would be OK. I am not sure how I would do with Greek yogurt and fruit (I never tested) but I am thinking it would probably be OK, but different foods affect people differently, so I would have to test it to see.

I can eat a whole lot more carbs after I exercise, but more so before I exercise. If I consume more fast acting carbs and I go for a walk (and if the walk is short, I may jump up and down a bit (I know! LOL! But it works!)), it doesn't give me the BS spikes. Sometimes, my DH and I go to a Pho place and I eat a bowl of Pho - We walk to the restaurant and we walk back. I don't know what my BS is like when we are walking, but by the time we get home (maybe 30 minutes after the meal or 1 hour after the meal) my BS is good (below 120). Smaller meals seem to be better than huge meals also.

I use True3go meter with TrueTest strips. I get the strips from Ebay (which now seems to show up on Amazon for some of the items so you could purchase from Amazon too)- This brand was the cheapest I've found (less than $10 for a bottle of 50 test strips), although I read Walmart has a brand that is even cheaper, but I cannot remember the name so I am showing the link for my meter below. (It looks like it comes with one bottle of TrueTest strips.)
http://www.amazon.com/True2go-Diabet..._4_a_it&sr=8-4
Old 06-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
...I have learned that I don't do well with some fast acting carbs especially if it is consumed with very little protein (My BS spikes and then shoots down.)

... Black beans do not raise my BS much at all with or without protein/fat. Surprisingly, I cannot feel anything when my BS is high, although I could feel it when it gets down some of the time (when it shoots up fast and comes down fast - I get sleepy, cranky, and very hungry afterwards.)

I couldn't eat oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. That would be my "shoots up fast and comes down fast" kind of breakfast.
None of the above is surprising. See the glycemic index chart of some common food published by Harvard Medical School: Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health.

Basically, eating carb with some fat slows down the absorption of glucose, thereby lowering the glycemic index. The above chart does not show it, but another published test shows a big difference in glycemic index between white rice and fried rice.

Beans generally have a low glycemic index. Food made with flour baked at a high temperature has very high glycemic index, often approaching that of pure sugar. Examples include French baguette, corn flakes, oatmeal, pretzels, pizza, baked potato... Very, very bad for diabetes!

As for rice, short-grain sticky rice is among the worst. The best rice is Uncle Ben converted rice (not Uncle Ben instant rice).

Read the above chart, and it should scare people off some common food items, or at least cause them to cut back. Never mind the overweight. Diabetes is no fun!