Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
There is a positive correlation between obesity rates and antibiotic use rates. I've been thinking it goes beyond correlation and could be causation. Of course, there are many causes of being overweight, of which this may be just one.
There's lots of theories out there. But my husband used to do more business trips to Korea and he came back and said we're fat compare to them and he is a skinny guy. If you think about it, Korean food is very spicy which speeds up metabolism and more meat. Last longer, less carbs.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
There's lots of theories out there. But my husband used to do more business trips to Korea and he came back and said we're fat compare to them and he is a skinny guy. If you think about it, Korean food is very spicy which speeds up metabolism and more meat. Last longer, less carbs.
I have spent a bit of time in Asia as well, and have a different take on it. I usually find I loose weight when I am in Asia, SE Asia specifically, and find I eat less but am not hungry. For me it seems that the food is just tastier, I have described it as a symphony of flavors in their soups, and other dishes, rather than the heavy single flavor, very sweet, too salty, or high fat in American/western food. And yes, they ALWAYS use MSG.
For me it has always seemed strange that after I eat at McDonalds, for example, I still feel hungry and want to eat more. That never happens when I am in Asia.
Although I do have to say, after I am a few weeks or months in Asia, I can't wait to get back and have an In-And-Out burger and vanilla shake.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #23

Simple, when you consume more calories than you expend, you gain weight.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

My theory for myself is: The only thing we can easily monitor is calories in, or what we eat--the calories out part of the equation is subject to a lot of personal variables. Oversized portions, whether at home or from restaurants, condition us to eat more and to want to feel full after we eat (I think oversized portions is the cause of a lot of childhood obesity and imo the earlier in their lives that people become overweight, the more likely it will be difficult to lose that weight). So I'll jump on the bandwagon with Marita and Fedup and attack my personal 25 lb weight loss goal by counting calories in and seeing how they need to be adjusted to create a deficit re calories out, and shrink the portions too.

DH has tracked almost every meal on Myfitnesspal for a year following surgery last May and is at a perfect weight (he was only 10 lbs overweight). I know Fitbit now has a pretty good food database so I'll use that.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

We get fat for exactly TWO reasons: 1.) Food is really cheap in the Western World so when we feel stressed we pig out and 2.) Adults don't have mandatory gym class five days a week. When I cut back on food to save money and started exercising five days a week -- VOILA -- I lost 30 lbs really quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MoneyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Since retirement I have lost 40 pounds and kept it off just by cutting my portions in half .We go out to eat twice a week and we will either share an entree or I will have an appetizer instead of an entree .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #27

We get fat because we are a rich country. Rich people do get fat. Just pretend you are poor and ration your food.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
I have spent a bit of time in Asia as well, and have a different take on it. I usually find I loose weight when I am in Asia, SE Asia specifically, and find I eat less but am not hungry. For me it seems that the food is just tastier, I have described it as a symphony of flavors in their soups, and other dishes, rather than the heavy single flavor, very sweet, too salty, or high fat in American/western food. And yes, they ALWAYS use MSG.
For me it has always seemed strange that after I eat at McDonalds, for example, I still feel hungry and want to eat more. That never happens when I am in Asia.
Although I do have to say, after I am a few weeks or months in Asia, I can't wait to get back and have an In-And-Out burger and vanilla shake.
I think the soup has more liquid and make you feel fuller. I used to love in-out-burger and shake but can't eat fast carb any more.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #29

years ago, on a long cab ride, the driver and I got into a discussion about diets and weight gain, or weight loss. I don't know how we got there, but we did.

He shared a story. He had recently lost quite a bit of weight by doing something really bizarre. He stopped having "seconds". He still ate what he normally ate, which was a relatively, although not compulsively monitored, "balanced diet"...meaning some meat, some veggies, and some starch. (how earth-shaking is that?)..
And simply disciplined himself not to go back for seconds.

The man should have written a book. It would have been a very short book, but he still should have written it.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #30

Finishing up reading "How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease, Michael Greger MD". A very good read about different types of foods and the effects (good and bad) they have on your body. The book is about food for overall health rather then just weight loss. His push is definitely for more fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains and away from meat, poultry, and dairy. Seems to have plenty of references and studies to support his claims.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I find it interesting that all of the standard problems that are tied in to obesity (diabetes, cholesterol, hypertension, etc) are all treated with pills, sometimes with fairly serious or dangerous side effects. My doctor always tells me to lose weight and that will help all these other things. But even through weight loss is the magic bullet, there is no attempt to help us lose weight other than "eat less and exercise more". In other words, willpower. I know in the past they used to have appetite suppressant pills and other things that didn't work, but I haven't heard anything about any newer weight loss aids. It seems that if they want us to lose weight, there might be something they could do to help. It's almost as if the profits from treating the diseases are more important than actually solving the problem...no, it couldn't be.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We get fat because we are a rich country. Rich people do get fat. Just pretend you are poor and ration your food.
In the US, rich people are the slimmest of all. In the WSJ I saw a photo of some people wading a bayou in Houston flooding. Most of them were big enough to be 2 people, and they were evacuating an apartment building in a poor area. Probably there are no Western countries where the poor are not fatter than the rich. I live near a Ferrari dealer. I have never looked in and seen a fat man.

Just walk through Barney's, then if you can stomach it walk through Walmart and compare the bodies you see.

In the advanced world, few if any are poor because they can't get enough calories.

Ha
Old 05-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In the US, rich people are the slimmest of all. In the WSJ I saw a photo of some people wading a bayou in Houston flooding. Most of them were big enough to be 2 people, and they were evacuating an apartment building in a poor area. Probably there are no Western countries where the poor are not fatter than the rich. I live near a Ferrari dealer. I have never looked in and seen a fat man.

Just walk through Barney's, then if you can stomach it walk through Walmart and compare the bodies you see.

In the advanced world, few if any are poor because they can't get enough calories.

Ha
Keep people busy all the time with more than one job and horrible mass transit and you drive them to fast food. And if they are poor they will gravitate to the most meal for the $ which is generally food that is designed to produce maximum craving and minimal nutrition. Add all the social and cultural baggage and voila - obesity epidemic.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Snip...
My doctor always tells me to lose weight and that will help all these other things. But even through weight loss is the magic bullet, there is no attempt to help us lose weight other than "eat less and exercise more". In other words, willpower. I know in the past they used to have appetite suppressant pills and other things that didn't work, but I haven't heard anything about any newer weight loss aids. It seems that if they want us to lose weight, there might be something they could do to help. It's almost as if the profits from treating the diseases are more important than actually solving the problem...no, it couldn't be.
A buddy told me the newer blood sugar drugs(Farxiga, Victoza, and the like) are being used. Don't know how effective they are for everyone. He's on one for pre-diabetes, lost 50, says he can't eat as much and claims the meds make him hyped up so he walks alot. I don't know if that's typical.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Keep people busy all the time with more than one job and horrible mass transit and you drive them to fast food. And if they are poor they will gravitate to the most meal for the $ which is generally food that is designed to produce maximum craving and minimal nutrition. Add all the social and cultural baggage and voila - obesity epidemic.
So what is the reason for the fattest of all, welfare recipients who not only don't have two jobs, they don't even have one.

Anyway, I don't care what people think makes them fat. It is highly unlikely to be correct anyway.

I was just responding to the assertion that mainly rich people get fat. Anyone's eyes can easily refute that.

Ha
Old 05-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I find it interesting that all of the standard problems that are tied in to obesity (diabetes, cholesterol, hypertension, etc) are all treated with pills, sometimes with fairly serious or dangerous side effects. My doctor always tells me to lose weight and that will help all these other things. But even through weight loss is the magic bullet, there is no attempt to help us lose weight other than "eat less and exercise more".
The lack of adequate nutrition training in medical schools is a known problem. Most patients probably know as much as their doctor when it comes to nutrition.

What's at stake in nutrition education during med school

Quote:
While physicians encourage patients to make healthy food choices, only 27 percent of U.S. medical schools actually offer students the recommended 25 hours of nutritional training, according to a recent perspective piece in Academic Medicine. Hear why experts say improving health outcomes may require physicians in training to move from the classroom to the kitchen.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #37
gone traveling

I used to believe in the calories in/carlories burned school of thinking, but I don't think its that simple, at least if you want to avoid cravings and overeating. Not all calories or carbs are created equal, especially when in comes to natural foods vs all the preserved stuff. I also suspect some folks have metabolisms that may not respond well to certain dieting schemes, and for me personally, I have found myself much better off and less hungry when I eat fewer carbs and keep the nutrients clean.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyway, I don't care what people think makes them fat. It is highly unlikely to be correct anyway.
For me it was/is eating too much, drinking too much (although not sugary soda), and not much exercise. Can't get any correcter than that.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #39

Quote:

Ha
I know what you mean. There is this supermarket that I buy meat for for Xmas, mostly very rich people, it's known as the rich area. I often look to see what rich older females look like, they are all skinny with lots of wrinkles. No fat.

I think I meant collectively as a rich country, we don't deny ourselves when it comes to food. Food is still relative cheap compare to our income.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #40

Quote:
I think it's more likely to be other cultural differences rather than spiciness (and much of korean food isn't spicy) and korean food is normally pretty light on the meat.

Some things that come to mind are a complete lack of desserts (in korea dessert = fruit), a tradition of hiking/walking (even old geezers hike up the mountains), and maybe a fat-phobic culture.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote