Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I must go to the wrong Korean restaurants. They are spicy and lots of meat. Korean BBQ, all you can eat.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think that's Korean BBQ in the USA for Americans. I suspect that if you went to Korean restaurants in Seoul, it would be quite different. Similarly, pizza in Italy is not rich like the typical American pizza.

I think Americans like richer and bigger versions of everything. And our body reflects our preference.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I used to believe in the calories in/carlories burned school of thinking, but I don't think its that simple, at least if you want to avoid cravings and overeating. Not all calories or carbs are created equal, especially when in comes to natural foods vs all the preserved stuff. I also suspect some folks have metabolisms that may not respond well to certain dieting schemes, and for me personally, I have found myself much better off and less hungry when I eat fewer carbs and keep the nutrients clean.
I'm CICO but the point about what you eat and how you feel is still important. A thousand calories of sugar provides the same energy as the same amount of protein. How I feel if I ingest each is something else entirely.

My diet used to be high carb and I felt miserable. Since understanding the importance of protein, fat and the glycemic index of carbs I eat higher protein and fat and only target 40% of my calories from carbs. I feel so much better now, I was always feeling like my BS was out of whack(probably was).
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #44

OK, let's put a stop to this right now.

Nobody here at E-R.org is "fat."
Some of us are possibly a bit too short for our weight, but we carry it well and always look good.

Think positive!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I think that's Korean BBQ in the USA for Americans. I suspect that if you went to Korean restaurants in Seoul, it would be quite different. Similarly, pizza in Italy is not rich like the typical American pizza.

I think Americans like richer and bigger versions of everything. And our body reflects our preference.
I think the ones here are more Americanized for sure. But there are still lots of similarity. Except no cold fish soup. I know my husband and his coworker's were joking they were drinking from the fish tank after tasting the soup. It's the final dish served after eating lots of food.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I never had to watch calories until quite recently. My BMI inched up past 24, and my blood pressure also went up. And my fasting blood glucose went to 102. Everything's still in the OK range, but I did not want this trend to continue.

So, I started to look at labels to see the calories of what I ate. It was astonishing to see some innocent food being so high-calorific. Invariably, those turned out to be loaded with carbohydrate.

Not only that carb is high in calories, it is also easily digested and contributes to diabetes, and it does not keep you full and so you eat more. Protein and fat keep you full longer, and so you eat less.

So, I have been reducing the carb intake, and up on the meat and fat intake. I have always eaten quite a bit of vegetable and fruit, so not much change needed there. The result in the most recent blood test is that everything is now back in the normal range. My BMI is now 23.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

My wife's BMI is 22. She does not like meat, so eats little of it. She could be vegetarian, and would not miss anything. I cannot be a vegetarian, because I would be eating all the time. I need protein and fat to get that feeling of fullness. My wife on the other hand can eat so little, no matter what it is. She simply does not have my appetite.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I saw a TV program recently that was a study of people who were on "The Biggest Loser"....

I have not looked it up, but from what I remember they said that almost all of the people gained back their weight... it was said that their metabolism slowed... one lady said that now she only needed 1400 calories to maintain her weight... if she ate more she gained weight!!!

Basically they were saying that the body 'wants' to be a certain weight....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I used to believe in the calories in/carlories burned school of thinking, but I don't think its that simple, at least if you want to avoid cravings and overeating. Not all calories or carbs are created equal, especially when in comes to natural foods vs all the preserved stuff. I also suspect some folks have metabolisms that may not respond well to certain dieting schemes, and for me personally, I have found myself much better off and less hungry when I eat fewer carbs and keep the nutrients clean.
I agree. I lost 28 lbs in a little more than 2 years since retiring. Eating the same diet as before retirement, just with more exercise. A little more than a week ago, I started the paleo diet on doctor's advice. Very little if any carbs. I've lost another 7 in the last 1.5 weeks.

Before paleo, I had cravings and overate frequently. Since paleo, I really don't have cravings, and I'm not very hungry at mealtime. I believe that the type of calories one eats has just as much affect on one's weight as the number of calories. For me, overall hunger and cravings for bad foods is decreasing as I increase healthy food consumption. So my total calorie intake is down because I'm satisfied eating fewer calories caused by the change in diet.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #50

The korean restaurants in the US are pretty authentic but it's only a small slice of the cuisine. At home people would probably have something more like this:

Family Eating Variety Typical Korean Food At Home Stock Photo, Royalty Free Image: 2306581 - Alamy

red = spicy
green = some cooked/pickled vegetable
dark green in soup = seaweed

The only meat on the table are the oysters (the grey stuff) and maybe some of the brown stuff in the soup. (However average meat consumption is rapidly rising in korea. It used to be less than 1/4 of US consumption but is probably over 50% now.)

Korean BBQ is really popular in the US because meat is cheap here (in the past in korea it would have been something very special). Also if you have a mixed group, the bbq meats are about the only thing that's "safe" and almost everybody, no matter their background, will eat and like.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I find it interesting that all of the standard problems that are tied in to obesity (diabetes, cholesterol, hypertension, etc) are all treated with pills, sometimes with fairly serious or dangerous side effects. My doctor always tells me to lose weight and that will help all these other things. But even through weight loss is the magic bullet, there is no attempt to help us lose weight other than "eat less and exercise more". In other words, willpower. I know in the past they used to have appetite suppressant pills and other things that didn't work, but I haven't heard anything about any newer weight loss aids. It seems that if they want us to lose weight, there might be something they could do to help. It's almost as if the profits from treating the diseases are more important than actually solving the problem...no, it couldn't be.
I think your first sentence answers the question you almost ask in your last sentence. Docs get chastised for writing scripts that come with side effects, when in fact, the real solution comes in changing behaviors. The reasons we don't want to be obese is that we want a longer life, and a higher quality of life. Not because 150 is a better number than 210.
A pill that gets you to 150 but comes with nasty side effects does not provide a longer life, or a better quality of life. What WILL do that is to gently modify your diet (probably just avoid "seconds" and eat a veggie or two a day), and get just a wee bit of exercise ( walk briskly for 45 minutes a day)...
The pill may get you to a number. The number is meaningless.

I encourage you with every positive thought I can muster, to just take it in small steps...but steps in the right direction. There will never be a magic pill.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Some of us are possibly a bit too short for our weight, but we carry it well and always look good.

Think positive!

And our boobs are all perky!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Several say "portion control". That's one of the key points. And eating less is easier if you eat slow. I eat a lot faster than my wife does, and always finish first. When you eat so fast, your stomach hasn't got the chance to tell your brain that it is full. Much has been written about that delay. So now, when I feel like having some more, I would wait for a few minutes at the table. I would sit there sipping some wine, and talk to my wife as she eats. After a few minutes, chances are that I feel satiated and do not eat more.

Yet, I remember that when I was working at megacorp, when we went down for lunch at the company cafeteria I was always the last guy to finish his lunch.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #54

I'm the opposite to you and your wife. I'm an efficient eater. I always finish before my husband. He takes his time and chew his food. I just swallow. I don't like chewing.
But seriously I only eat when I'm hungry. I don't typical have a sit down dinner. If I feel like eating salad, I grab a bag of cherries. No salad dressing is necessary.
Quick and simple. Who needs cooking, it's really overrated.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
But seriously I only eat when I'm hungry.
This is what it all comes down to. It's like saying no to drugs. It's easy if that's the way you are put together, and it can be incredibly hard if you are not. I am always hungry, sometimes even when I've finished a meal. When I was working I would eat lunch with thin/normal size friends, and they would get about half what I would get, and not finish it. I, on the other hand, would only not get more out of embarrassment. I don't know if it's physical or psychological or what, but if I wasn't always hungry I'd be much thinner. I know it's possible to overcome with extreme application of willpower, but it's very hard, and even if I lose weight it's very difficult to keep it off. I've tried many of the diets and not a one of them has ever dealt with the hunger issue.

And I actually eat quite healthily, most of the time. I love veggies, I haven't had a sugary soda in decades, I don't eat too many processed carbs. I just eat a lot. When I quit drinking alcohol I lose some weight, about 7-10 lbs. That's an easy fix. But it's the food that's the hard part. If there was a drug (other than meth or coke) that would stop my hunger I'd probably lose 50 lbs in a year.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I like to eat too. I like all kinds of food. What I have found is that when I prepare the food myself, I tend to eat less. I do not know why.

I like to host big family get-togethers, when I prepare food for 20 to 30 people. I actually enjoy cooking, and to watch people eat what I make. And I myself eat less.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #57

Quote:
This is what it all comes down to. It's like saying no to drugs. It's easy if that's the way you are put together, and it can be incredibly hard if you are not. I am always hungry, sometimes even when I've finished a meal. When I was working I would eat lunch with thin/normal size friends, and they would get about half what I would get, and not finish it. I, on the other hand, would only not get more out of embarrassment. I don't know if it's physical or psychological or what, but if I wasn't always hungry I'd be much thinner. I know it's possible to overcome with extreme application of willpower, but it's very hard, and even if I lose weight it's very difficult to keep it off. I've tried many of the diets and not a one of them has ever dealt with the hunger issue.

And I actually eat quite healthily, most of the time. I love veggies, I haven't had a sugary soda in decades, I don't eat too many processed carbs. I just eat a lot. When I quit drinking alcohol I lose some weight, about 7-10 lbs. That's an easy fix. But it's the food that's the hard part. If there was a drug (other than meth or coke) that would stop my hunger I'd probably lose 50 lbs in a year.
I stay away from fast carb, you get hungrier sooner. So I eat more nuts, yogurt, humus, hard carrots, my vegetables are hard, not soft, I don't like them soft. My system takes longer to break down.
I don't eat a lot of beef except at Korean barbecue.
But I'm not thin at all, but not fat. But when I was younger was much thinner.
I don't drink alcohol either. I rarely drink alcohol, I only drink tap water when I'm at home or eat out.
But I did lose 5lbs so far, but hardly trying. I know I'm going to do lots of walking soon so I'm saving myself till then.

Does your stomach hurt when you are hungry? What's wrong with being hungry? Some culture fast a few days. Is there a medical issue?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Think positive!
I used to say I was the correct weight if I wore 4" heels .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ever had your thyroid checked? I just ran into a guy I hadn't seen in 3 years, he'd dropped 45 pounds because of his.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Hyperthyroid would increase appetite, but also causes weight loss. Harley is always hungry, but does not have the latter.

Come to think of it, when I was younger, perhaps my thyroid function was a bit above normal. I ate a lot, but was thin as a rail. And I would feel warm more often than cold. I rarely used a blanket in the winter, and usually had a fan to blow on my face so I could sleep. Even now, I rarely use a blanket.