Why do we get fat?

I find it interesting that all of the standard problems that are tied in to obesity (diabetes, cholesterol, hypertension, etc) are all treated with pills, sometimes with fairly serious or dangerous side effects. My doctor always tells me to lose weight and that will help all these other things. But even through weight loss is the magic bullet, there is no attempt to help us lose weight other than "eat less and exercise more". In other words, willpower. I know in the past they used to have appetite suppressant pills and other things that didn't work, but I haven't heard anything about any newer weight loss aids. It seems that if they want us to lose weight, there might be something they could do to help. It's almost as if the profits from treating the diseases are more important than actually solving the problem...no, it couldn't be.

I think your first sentence answers the question you almost ask in your last sentence. Docs get chastised for writing scripts that come with side effects, when in fact, the real solution comes in changing behaviors. The reasons we don't want to be obese is that we want a longer life, and a higher quality of life. Not because 150 is a better number than 210.
A pill that gets you to 150 but comes with nasty side effects does not provide a longer life, or a better quality of life. What WILL do that is to gently modify your diet (probably just avoid "seconds" and eat a veggie or two a day), and get just a wee bit of exercise ( walk briskly for 45 minutes a day)...
The pill may get you to a number. The number is meaningless.

I encourage you with every positive thought I can muster, to just take it in small steps...but steps in the right direction. There will never be a magic pill.

OK, let's put a stop to this right now.

Nobody here at E-R.org is "fat."

Some of us are possibly a bit too short for our weight, but we carry it well and always look good.

Think positive!

And our boobs are all perky!

Several say "portion control". That's one of the key points. And eating less is easier if you eat slow. I eat a lot faster than my wife does, and always finish first. When you eat so fast, your stomach hasn't got the chance to tell your brain that it is full. Much has been written about that delay. So now, when I feel like having some more, I would wait for a few minutes at the table. I would sit there sipping some wine, and talk to my wife as she eats. After a few minutes, chances are that I feel satiated and do not eat more.

Yet, I remember that when I was working at megacorp, when we went down for lunch at the company cafeteria I was always the last guy to finish his lunch.

I'm the opposite to you and your wife. I'm an efficient eater. I always finish before my husband. He takes his time and chew his food. I just swallow. I don't like chewing.
But seriously I only eat when I'm hungry. I don't typical have a sit down dinner. If I feel like eating salad, I grab a bag of cherries. No salad dressing is necessary.
Quick and simple. Who needs cooking, it's really overrated.

Last edited:
But seriously I only eat when I'm hungry.

This is what it all comes down to. It's like saying no to drugs. It's easy if that's the way you are put together, and it can be incredibly hard if you are not. I am always hungry, sometimes even when I've finished a meal. When I was working I would eat lunch with thin/normal size friends, and they would get about half what I would get, and not finish it. I, on the other hand, would only not get more out of embarrassment. I don't know if it's physical or psychological or what, but if I wasn't always hungry I'd be much thinner. I know it's possible to overcome with extreme application of willpower, but it's very hard, and even if I lose weight it's very difficult to keep it off. I've tried many of the diets and not a one of them has ever dealt with the hunger issue.

And I actually eat quite healthily, most of the time. I love veggies, I haven't had a sugary soda in decades, I don't eat too many processed carbs. I just eat a lot. When I quit drinking alcohol I lose some weight, about 7-10 lbs. That's an easy fix. But it's the food that's the hard part. If there was a drug (other than meth or coke) that would stop my hunger I'd probably lose 50 lbs in a year.

I like to eat too. I like all kinds of food. What I have found is that when I prepare the food myself, I tend to eat less. I do not know why.

I like to host big family get-togethers, when I prepare food for 20 to 30 people. I actually enjoy cooking, and to watch people eat what I make. And I myself eat less.

This is what it all comes down to. It's like saying no to drugs. It's easy if that's the way you are put together, and it can be incredibly hard if you are not. I am always hungry, sometimes even when I've finished a meal. When I was working I would eat lunch with thin/normal size friends, and they would get about half what I would get, and not finish it. I, on the other hand, would only not get more out of embarrassment. I don't know if it's physical or psychological or what, but if I wasn't always hungry I'd be much thinner. I know it's possible to overcome with extreme application of willpower, but it's very hard, and even if I lose weight it's very difficult to keep it off. I've tried many of the diets and not a one of them has ever dealt with the hunger issue.

And I actually eat quite healthily, most of the time. I love veggies, I haven't had a sugary soda in decades, I don't eat too many processed carbs. I just eat a lot. When I quit drinking alcohol I lose some weight, about 7-10 lbs. That's an easy fix. But it's the food that's the hard part. If there was a drug (other than meth or coke) that would stop my hunger I'd probably lose 50 lbs in a year.
I stay away from fast carb, you get hungrier sooner. So I eat more nuts, yogurt, humus, hard carrots, my vegetables are hard, not soft, I don't like them soft. My system takes longer to break down.
I don't eat a lot of beef except at Korean barbecue.
But I'm not thin at all, but not fat. But when I was younger was much thinner.
I don't drink alcohol either. I rarely drink alcohol, I only drink tap water when I'm at home or eat out.
But I did lose 5lbs so far, but hardly trying. I know I'm going to do lots of walking soon so I'm saving myself till then.

Does your stomach hurt when you are hungry? What's wrong with being hungry? Some culture fast a few days. Is there a medical issue?

Last edited:
OK, let's put a stop to this right now.

Nobody here at E-R.org is "fat."
Some of us are possibly a bit too short for our weight, but we carry it well and always look good.

Think positive!
I used to say I was the correct weight if I wore 4" heels .

Ever had your thyroid checked? I just ran into a guy I hadn't seen in 3 years, he'd dropped 45 pounds because of his.

Hyperthyroid would increase appetite, but also causes weight loss. Harley is always hungry, but does not have the latter.

Come to think of it, when I was younger, perhaps my thyroid function was a bit above normal. I ate a lot, but was thin as a rail. And I would feel warm more often than cold. I rarely used a blanket in the winter, and usually had a fan to blow on my face so I could sleep. Even now, I rarely use a blanket.

Last edited:
Timing my eating , which is much easier in retirement, has worked wonders for me. Lost 20 lbs so far since retiring end of Jan 2016. I eat a big breakfast (no calorie counting), usually with a lot of protein, fats, dairy, some carbs (toast mainly). Enjoy it thoroughly, my one indulgence. Then nuts, veggies rest of day, and not too much of that. End eating wit a dinner of only mixed greens with lite vinaigrette and some sunflower seeds. have this NLT 6 pm. Only drink water, except for breakfast coffee or tea.

really too busy with various studying, home and pet projects, Church activities, to feel at all deprived. Try to limit eating out to that breakfast meal, or perhaps once a week with friends at a restaurant, generally keep to salad even there with cheating ever once in a while.

Who are these "they" and "us":confused:?

I there is no attempt to help us lose weight other than "eat less and exercise more". In other words, willpower... It seems that if they want us to lose weight, there might be something they could do to help.

I saw a TV program recently that was a study of people who were on "The Biggest Loser"....

I have not looked it up, but from what I remember they said that almost all of the people gained back their weight... it was said that their metabolism slowed... one lady said that now she only needed 1400 calories to maintain her weight... if she ate more she gained weight!!!

Basically they were saying that the body 'wants' to be a certain weight....

One of the scientists on the podcast I listen to talked about the weight regulatory system. He said basically it is very hard to reset and the body will try hard to compensate to keep you at a given weight - both up and down. He said the. Challenge it is easier to take years to over eat and reset for a heavier weight than the time it takes to reset back to a lower weight. His lesson is don't let yourself over eat on a long term basis and reset for the heavier weight.

Another thing they talked about was starting to research daily activity calorie burn via Fitbit like devices. Apparently this activity can contribute a lot more to average daily energy consumption than they expected. Where exercise might be 500 calories 3x per week, that equals only 200 avg per day. Differences in normal daily activity levels contributed 2 or more times that amount for many participants who considered themselves inactive.

One thing that will help almost everyone, unless you are already paying attention to this, is drinking a sufficient amount of water each day. Staying hydrated can effect your weight positively and provide numerous other health benefits. I know at times, I forget to get sufficient daily H2O intake.

I compare Weight Loss to any other medication.. just because person A uses the medication and has wonderful results, doesn't mean person B will have the same results.. instead they could have side effects, be allergic, or you know the warning labels (in rare instances <insert some horrible side effect or even death>).

ie every body is different and complex. Most doctors still stick to the CICO philosophy even though they know that's not exactly true because its the easy answer. I told my doctor fine, I'll do Seattle Sutton, so after 12 weeks I had lost a total of 1.5 pounds.. even though she told me I would lose 2-2.5 pounds per week if I followed it perfectly... hmm .. then they of course told me I must have cheated... yes because cheating is so much easier to believe than they are wrong and have no clue how weight actually works.

My mother only lost weight once in her life when she went to see one of those "off doctors" who gave her some pill that has something to do with horses, but doctors won't sanction it... it fixed her thyroid problems and she lost the weight but the regular doctors won't sanction it so went back to the "approved" pills and gained it all back.

In the end, to me weight is irrelevant, physical health will matter more as far on longevity and enjoying life. I'm ok being a chubby girl, I take 40 mile bike rides, hike strenuous trails, kayak and run 5ks...and my blood work is excellent.

Could I lose weight, maybe. I've tried all the various diets and the only one that worked was some extreme weight program that was 800 calories, no carbs and managed to lose 30 pounds over 4 months... but at 800 calories, no carbs, that's not living, that's putting paste in your mouth and calling it food...no thanks.

I've lost 20 lbs over the past three months and 50 over the past three years. Oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast, fruit for lunch, 4-6 ounces of fish or lean meat with a vegetable for dinner. A handful of almonds for a snack sometime during the day. Lots of water and a coffee with my morning oatmeal. No special name for the diet, and didn't buy any diet plan. Doctor says to stabilize after losing another 5-10 pounds. This will be my third and hopefully last stabilization level. Plan is to weigh myself daily and adjust my eating as needed. I'm off of one of the two blood pressure meds I was on and may get weaned off the other soon. If it didn't involve work I'd market this and make some more money.

Enjoying life!

Here is a Forum with the current thinking on the "Why we get fat" issue:

https://freetheanimal.com/

Examples:

Breaking: The NuSI / Taubes Carbohydrate-Insulin Alternative Hypothesis of Obesity in Serious Trouble

Dr. Hall’s conclusion: no metabolic advantage to a ketogenic diet. Carb-Insulin theory of obesity falsified.

So, it looks like we’re back to plain old caloric restriction to lose weight. And in that vein, then what’s most important is the diet you can stick with. So, if you can more easily or enjoyably adhere to a low-carbohydrate diet in the face of forced caloric restriction over, say, a high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet, then the LC diet is best for you, even if fat loss is more efficient on the latter diet.
What If It’s All Been A Big Fat Truth?

There are, also, (quite) a number of other Blogs that are calling Taubes out on this issue.

it's funny that this is being presented nowadays as some sort of revolutionary new scientific insight. When I was a child, my Mother cautioned me never to let myself get fat, as it would be a) bad for me, and b) much harder to lose excess weight (once gained) than to train myself to listen to my stomach and know when it was empty or full.

One of the scientists on the podcast I listen to talked about the weight regulatory system. He said basically it is very hard to reset and the body will try hard to compensate to keep you at a given weight - both up and down. He said the. Challenge it is easier to take years to over eat and reset for a heavier weight than the time it takes to reset back to a lower weight. His lesson is don't let yourself over eat on a long term basis and reset for the heavier weight.

It is due to food that was not either burned off or used to build additional muscle.

Everyone knows this so people make themselves fat

Last edited:
There is a side benefit of being chubby. No lines or wrinkles on my face. All my thin relatives look older than necessary and they are mostly vegetarians.

I agree. I lost 28 lbs in a little more than 2 years since retiring. Eating the same diet as before retirement, just with more exercise. A little more than a week ago, I started the paleo diet on doctor's advice. Very little if any carbs. I've lost another 7 in the last 1.5 weeks.

Before paleo, I had cravings and overate frequently. Since paleo, I really don't have cravings, and I'm not very hungry at mealtime. I believe that the type of calories one eats has just as much affect on one's weight as the number of calories. For me, overall hunger and cravings for bad foods is decreasing as I increase healthy food consumption. So my total calorie intake is down because I'm satisfied eating fewer calories caused by the change in diet.

I've had remarkable results with paleo or "whole food" eating. After decades of bouncing between 180 and 200 lbs., I've been able to easily maintain my high school weight of 165 lbs. for the last year. Lots of non-starchy vegetables, adequate amounts of meat protein, eggs, some fruit and nuts. Little to no grain products. No sweet drinks. A bit of fruit for dessert.

I felt a bit deprived at first, but have been amazed at the satiety I have after eating. The blood sugar roller coaster use to have me craving a snack every few hours. It's a bit more work as far as food prep, but I can't imagine going back to my previous diet.

After retiring I lost 50 pounds. It was a fairly easy process. We started to travel and are diets changed. More fresh fruits, salads, fish. Less breads, butter, red meat, gooey desserts, and no processed foods.

It was not just a matter of loosing weight. We both felt so much better for changing our diet.

So now it is fruit from breakfast w/ a slice of high fibre bread, fruit for lunch or lean meats. Dinner can be most anything but no fried food, very little pasta, bread, starchy vegatables. Mostly we do salad because that is what we like...with a balsamic vinegar. We seem to eat less red meat as we have aged. Have not lost the taste for it for now we want a small piece of a very high end cut vs a big tbone or porterhouse. Plus a glass of red wine most days. Our last 12 pack of sweet soda lasted for two years...usually for guests, not us.

Just had my physical, numbers are all much better. Neither of us are taking any prescription medicine. We walk several miles a day, some strenuous, every day.

Last edited:
Before FIREing I gained stress weight due to soda, candy machine, poor portion control. Without the stress of work I lost 23lbs so far, 6lbs more to go until the BMI is good.

I'm lean, but my face has always been "full" through the cheeks and chin, and I was always led to believe this was a flaw. I have noticed that I have fewer lines than thinner-faced women my age, but then again, I have been using sunscreen since my 20's.

There is a side benefit of being chubby. No lines or wrinkles on my face. All my thin relatives look older than necessary and they are mostly vegetarians.

Back
Top Bottom