Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The ramifications of obesity in retirement from a financial perspective:

Boomers Will Have More Diabetes And Obesity As They Age : Shots - Health News : NPR

Quote:
There will be about 55 percent more senior citizens who have diabetes than there are today, and about 25 percent more who are obese. Overall, the report says that the next generation of seniors will be 9 percent less likely to say they have good or excellent overall health.

That's bad news for baby boomers. Health care costs for people with diabetes are about 2.5 times higher than for those without, according to the study.
Emphasis added

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I don't run, but we power-walk four miles on weekends. We also typically have oatmeal for breakfast. Most mornings we walk before we eat. Been doing this for years. Recently I started experiencing some sort of energy loss/dizziness about halfway through the walk. I would literally have to sit down for ten minutes until my head cleared. It only happened now and then, seemed random. I started testing some ideas and finally determined that it only happens if we eat *before* we walk, never when we walk first. So, aging, I guess?
Agree, my husband now doesn't run on an empty stomach. He used to run first thing in the morning before eating.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #143

I've never seen the "carb Smart" in my smaller town I'll have to look for sometime when I'm in the "big city" Aldis has started carrying organic whole milk yogurt which is 6 carbs per 1/2 cup at 2.99 for a 32 oz container..excellent value
Old 05-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
The ramifications of obesity in retirement from a financial perspective:

Boomers Will Have More Diabetes And Obesity As They Age : Shots - Health News : NPR

Emphasis added
From the article (emphasis added):
Quote:
The study also ranked states on the health of their current senior populations. Massachusetts topped the list, jumping to No. 1 from the No. 6 ranking it had the last time the rankings were calculated. Vermont slipped to No. 2.

Louisiana is the least healthy state for older adults.
Louisiana?
Old 05-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
From the article (emphasis added):

Louisiana?
These health stats have more to do with demographics and per capita income than anything else.

Ha
Old 05-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #146

I've read and studied a lot about all this. I personally eat a lowish carb diet. I've successfully lost 65 pounds and spend a lot of time writing a weight loss blog.

I am by no means hostile to low carb. Some people do very, very well on low carb and I do well on a lowish carb (about 100g of carbs a day on everage, net carbs around 70 or 80).

But, there is no author that irritates me more than Taubes. He cherry picks his data. He isn't a scientist trying to find where the science takes him. He has a position that he wants to assert and cites only the data to support his position and ignores, minimizes or can be misleading about the data that goes the other way.

The causes of obesity are many. This is a complex issue. Lots of people have difficulty with complex issues. They want easy answers that are nice and simple. This subject isn't like this. For every person who reads a Taubes book or article (I've read several of his books), I would suggest doing a Google search for those who critique him paying particular attention to those who are actual scientists not trying to hype a particular viewpoint.

For example, this particular writer is an obesity researcher with a PhD in neurobiology and I have found him pretty level headed on the complexities of obesity.

Whole Health Source: The Carbohydrate Hypothesis of Obesity: a Critical Examination
Old 05-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I've read and studied a lot about all this. I personally eat a lowish carb diet. I've successfully lost 65 pounds and spend a lot of time writing a weight loss blog.

I am by no means hostile to low carb. Some people do very, very well on low carb and I do well on a lowish carb (about 100g of carbs a day on everage, net carbs around 70 or 80).

But, there is no author that irritates me more than Taubes. He cherry picks his data. He isn't a scientist trying to find where the science takes him. He has a position that he wants to assert and cites only the data to support his position and ignores, minimizes or can be misleading about the data that goes the other way.

The causes of obesity are many. This is a complex issue. Lots of people have difficulty with complex issues. They want easy answers that are nice and simple. This subject isn't like this. For every person who reads a Taubes book or article (I've read several of his books), I would suggest doing a Google search for those who critique him paying particular attention to those who are actual scientists not trying to hype a particular viewpoint.

For example, this particular writer is an obesity researcher with a PhD in neurobiology and I have found him pretty level headed on the complexities of obesity.

Whole Health Source: The Carbohydrate Hypothesis of Obesity: a Critical Examination
Guyanet seems to have good arguments, and like Taubes he is himself slim. ( i've talked to him a number of times.)

I follow a strict low carb diet for several reasons. One, I was told i had pre-diabetes. Everyone else in my family save my mother either has diabetes or had it when they were alive. My great-great grandfather had diabetes, which I think was pretty rare almost 200 years ago. I don't have it, and in over 20 years I have gotten no closer to having this supposedly relentlessly progressive disease. Many people here seem able to just shut off their appetites, regardless of what they eat. This is extremely admirable. This would be very hard for me. As young kid, I always wanted a Baby Ruth bar in my pocket when I went out to play after school, and in early middle age I was a cookie monster.

I have never known anyone in non-ER.org real life who has the self control to limit calories, and to be hungry and just go on going on. People here can do it, and do it very successfully. I do know slim men and women who eat close to anything, or perhaps anything since I do not take notes. Mostly the women white knuckle it because to them a slim stylish body is an important social attribute, and the men exercise prodigiously. I also know a group of demographically average US church goers. Over half the men and essentially all the women are fat, by any definition. When I eat with them, I fast because there is usually nothing to eat other than sweets. My slim GF calls these meals/buffets lady food.

If a woman is heterosexual, single and over 45, she has a strong reason to try to stay slim, because dates are much easier to get for slim women (and men too I suspect.)

Anyway, like I posted earlier, this discussion will not conclude, because most of us are involved and have personal reasons to support our beliefs. (Which BTW is also true of researchers.)

Ha
Old 05-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #148

'An ounce of prevention...'
Old 05-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Ha ha, that's called being a woman! Just kidding, since I know you are a MAN, but taking half the bun (or more) off the burger used to be a chick thing. I remember being teased in college for doing that.

Somebody else mentioned that bread is only a vehicle for other things, and when it comes to commercial buns, I wholly agree. When it comes to homemade yeast bread, though...that is ambrosia meant to be consumed for its own sake. Unless one wants to enhance it with slices of home-grown tomato.

Quote:
burgers with buns and the like (although I still tear off half the bun out of habit). .
Old 05-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
but taking half the bun (or more) off the burger used to be a chick thing.
Body builders like to eat their burgers without any bun and have been doing it for years, so not just a chick thing.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

True! I didn't know any body builders back then, unfortunately. And back then, working out wasn't the thing it is now...young women wanted to be slim, but they mostly just restricted their eating. I remember plenty of of girls being concerned about their weight, but I only remember one young man who was concerned about his. I also remember knowing the calorie counts to all sorts of foods when I was only 19, and learning ways to estimate portion sizes - you know, deck of cards = amount of meat on your plate.

Thank goodness for exercise.

[QUOTE=Amethyst;1736523]H
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Body builders like to eat their burgers without any bun and have been doing it for years, so not just a chick thing.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #152
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
For your consideration:

Your low calorie diet is actually a low carb / high fat diet as far as your metabolism is concerned.
Now I'm confused. 'as far as my metabolism is concerned'

Quote:
Using numbers from a couple of your posts:

Your requirement/goal: 2000 calorie per day energy balance with 800 calorie per day deficit

1200 calories consumed per day
50% carb diet = 600 calories
protein (estimated) (you should make sure you get at least this much) = 100g or 400 calories
this leaves 200 calories as dietary fat.

PLUS

800 calories body fat consumed to meet energy balance requirements

Totals
Carbs: 600
Protein: 400
fat: 1000

So: effectively your diet is 50% fat, 30% carbohydrate, and 20% protein. For me, that is a little high in carb intake but is in line with the Jaminet's "Perfect Health Diet". It should be healthy for most people. Good luck with your program, but when you get to your maintenance phase be aware of what you are actually doing here.
OK, it took me a bit to figure out the math you were using. I don't think I have ever seen anyone combine fat burned with fat consumed and refer to an 'effective' calorie total. An interesting angle...

FYI, two of my three meals (which I eat almost every day) are 50-70% carb calories (oatmeal and vegetable soup). Most dinners involve salad and either baked or stir-fry veggies. No meat or dairy. I'd put my intake at more like 60% carbs, 30% protein, 10% fat (not counting fat burned). I have recipe breakdowns with better numbers somewhere in some spreadsheet, but not at work with me...
Old 05-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
No still a chick thing!

Just kidding of course. Sort of... I have been taking the middle bun out of my Big Mac for years. And feeding half my hot dog bun and sandwich bread to the birds. I fear for their health!
Old 05-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Agree, my husband now doesn't run on an empty stomach. He used to run first thing in the morning before eating.
But I *always* work out on an empty stomach (in the mornings). Go figure.

I also decided about a year ago that I got too hungry too early in the afternoon if I ate breakfast too early. So now I take oatmeal to work and have breakfast around 9:30-9:45. Starting my calorie intake later helps me make it through the day without overeating, and is evidently easier for me than trying to *stop* eating earlier. Half of the problem seems to be just tricking the mind into compliance!
Old 05-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think you should see your Dr. if you haven't already. Things that pop-up like that, and don't go away and become memories after a few weeks, always ping my "Dr." radar. I don't blame anything on aging until I know what's what.
I do intend to get a general check-up and blood work done in the near future, but I have never had this problem if I walk before I eat. I can walk at 7am or at 9am and I'm fine as long as it's before breakfast.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

I never eat hamburgers without the bun. I just had a late lunch with a roll of bollillo (Mexican bread) with homemade pâté, and a small avocado. Drink was just a glass of ice water with a squeeze of lemon for flavor, no sugar. Later I will have a snack with a banana and a 5 oz low-sugar yogurt. Dinner will be heavier with grilled chicken, veggie, and rice, and a glass of red wine.

Maybe I am lucky to have no problem so far with weight, nor high blood glucose. Everything checks out good. May not mean much, because something else may get me. No one gets out alive.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #157

We never eat burgers with bread. Rarely buy bread at home. For some reason, when we lived in Europe we could eat bread without consequence. Probably because we didn't drive as much.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Ah, those Europeans who have to walk up/down the stairs to the metro, and carry their grocery bags home... They eat bread daily. I suspect Fitbits don't sell too well in Europe either.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I never eat hamburgers without the bun....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
We never eat burgers with bread......
I order hamburgers and throw away the meat.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Well, someone who needs a crash diet should just keep the pickle and throw everything else away.

We can form a club to go eat out together to save money. One hamburger can serve 3. Now, who gets the fries?