Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll annoy you the way I did my college boy friend. Drink two mouthfuls of his chocolate milkshake, but refuse his offer to buy me one of my own because it would be too much; and eat three of his French fries but refuse...well, you get the idea. Soon I'll be kicked out of the club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

We can form a club to go eat out together to save money. One hamburger can serve 3. Now, who gets the fries?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

So, why exactly do we get fat?

--ZG

Old 05-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogravity View Post
So, why exactly do we get fat?
Funny!

It's because we eat more calories than our bodies need, and we eat more for a lot of different reasons and each of our needs are different for a lot of different reasons.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Ha ha, that's called being a woman! Just kidding, since I know you are a MAN, but taking half the bun (or more) off the burger used to be a chick thing. I remember being teased in college for doing that.
Those healthy eating chicks would be horrified at my burgers - I tear half the bun off sure but underneath is a double meat bacon cheeseburger. Love those things but I'm not happy with lettuce or no bun - gotta have some bread.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Those healthy eating chicks would be horrified at my burgers - I tear half the bun off sure but underneath is a double meat bacon cheeseburger. Love those things but I'm not happy with lettuce or no bun1 - gotta have some bread.
I am certainly glad to see you included bacon; life would suck without that!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Did I say they were healthy? Maybe they are, but the point of avoiding the bun - or chocolate shake, or anything else - was to keep weight down. Sometimes we think weight obsession is a modern thing, but it was a big worry 40 years ago, at least in the world I occupied. And my Mother's world, too...I have her 1940's beauty manuals, which contain diets that look a lot like something you'd see in a ladies' magazine today.They don't mention carbohydrates or fat grams, but they do talk about calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Those healthy eating chicks would be horrified at my burgers - I tear half the bun off sure but underneath is a double meat bacon cheeseburger. Love those things but I'm not happy with lettuce or no bun - gotta have some bread.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Keeping one's weight in check is for more than appearance. A lot of health risks comes with obesity. And while everything in my blood test is OK, my blood glucose was inching up to the borderline. Knowing that my parents and siblings all have this problem though none is at the point of requiring insulin, I would be dumb not to cut back on carb.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I do intend to get a general check-up and blood work done in the near future, but I have never had this problem if I walk before I eat. I can walk at 7am or at 9am and I'm fine as long as it's before breakfast.
Most likely your high carb breakfast is stimulating insulin secretion which clamps most of your body's ability to burn body fat. Your walk depletes the glucose you consumed plus the limited amount of glycogen you have stored (due to your long-term calorie restricted diet) and you bonk.

I recommend you get a glucose meter and see what your high carb meals are doing to your blood sugar. Ideally, you want to keep your blood sugar fairly stable (and certainly below 140).
Old 05-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
Most likely your high carb breakfast is stimulating insulin secretion which clamps most of your body's ability to burn body fat. Your walk depletes the glucose you consumed plus the limited amount of glycogen you have stored (due to your long-term calorie restricted diet) and you bonk.

I recommend you get a glucose meter and see what your high carb meals are doing to your blood sugar. Ideally, you want to keep your blood sugar fairly stable (and certainly below 140).
Although oatmeal is certainly not low-carb one cup of cooked whole oats has only 1g sugar.. if someone add lots of sugar or other sweet stuff it might raise the glucose but oatmeal alone shouldn't be a problem. I eat a few grains but I don't eat oatmeal ever since I heard a nutritionist refer to it as basically "sludge for the gut"...
Old 05-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #170

One of the "new" things I'm doing in my current diet plan is eating an entire Haas avocado per day. Not too long ago that would have been considered diet suicide! But now as a superfood it is known to actually aid in dieting with a host of good fat adding to the all-important satiation factor. I'm losing weight and loving the avocado!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #171

+1 on the avocado ...i eat mine with eggs or on a salad...
Old 05-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Avocado is good food and has a lot of nutrients. It is not low in calories but, same as with nuts, it keeps me feeling full longer than empty carby food like crackers or bread. Each of us has been doing one small avocado a day, and we eat it by itself like a fruit that it is.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #173

Something about the texture keeps me from eating it whole, I use it instead of a meat protein during a meal. For some reason I find meats less appealing as time goes on. My Aldi's has had beautiful avacaodos for .49 cents for the last 2 weeks, what a bargain.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Although oatmeal is certainly not low-carb one cup of cooked whole oats has only 1g sugar.. if someone add lots of sugar or other sweet stuff it might raise the glucose but oatmeal alone shouldn't be a problem. I eat a few grains but I don't eat oatmeal ever since I heard a nutritionist refer to it as basically "sludge for the gut"...
That cup of oatmeal is about 25 grams of carbs. It has a lowish glycemic index, but the glucose meter will show him how much that affects his blood sugar. Whatever he is eating for breakfast appears to clamp his body's ability to use fat.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #175

Point taken, he pointed out that his diet is probably about 60% carb 30% protein and only 10% fat so perhaps that's an issue...I'm reading labels for both carb and sugars count to work on fine tuning what I eat. I'm finding out for me, balance between the 3 groups makes a difference in how I feel.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
That cup of oatmeal is about 25 grams of carbs. It has a lowish glycemic index, but the glucose meter will show him how much that affects his blood sugar. Whatever he is eating for breakfast appears to clamp his body's ability to use fat.
I would agree. Additionally on 1400 calories a day I would be ill. Even more so at 60% carbs. When I ate high carbs losing my ability to continue physical activity was normal.

I understand the need to cut, attempting to lose 2(1000 calorie daily deficit) pounds weekly at close to a normal BMI is very aggressive(IMO). I would look at slowing down the loss over a longer period of time.

A question for the folks that are not sure of calories or macros. What technology are you using. I've been using MyFitnessPal for almost a year and feel I understand our calories and macro distribution very well. At least to the extent the nutritional data is accurate. We don't eat out much and I cook very simply, weighing our food..

In the same amount of time I could remember what I ate, I log it and view a chart of my macros and can get to the raw data. I don't think it takes any more time. Better yet it's free there's probably another 5 or 6 that do the same thing.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

I just had another ham-and-cheese sandwich. It's a substantial 6" long roll, not flimsy sliced sandwich bread. I ran out of my favorite cheddar, so try my wife's camembert "fabriqué en Normandie", and it's not bad. Oops, this is not the cheese thread.

Anyway, I guess people's bodies are built very differently, because I never have to avoid carb completely to lose weight or to lower fasting blood glucose.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #178

Dude, are you trying to rub it in....nothing wrong with the cheese or meat, but good on you if you can still enjoy bread. I found out I can give up donuts, cookies, cake and the like but I stand in the bakery drooling over a nice loaf of sourdough, or marble rye.If only you could buy fresh bread by the slice.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

You can buy a fresh baked French baguette, pinch off the end to eat (that's the part my wife likes, and she calls it the "elbow"), and hand the rest to the hobo sitting outside the bakery.

PS. By the way, breads generally have a very high glycemic index, almost as high as pure sugar. It gets right into your bloodstream as if you are swallowing pure sugar. Very, very bad for diabetes.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

open bracket url=your full link end bracket your description open bracket slash url end bracket

Aha! Threadjack! And here's where it goes entirely off the rails...Make America Grate Again! Great Cheese Glut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just had another ham-and-cheese sandwich. It's a substantial 6" long roll, not flimsy sliced sandwich bread. I ran out of my favorite cheddar, so try my wife's camembert "fabriqué en Normandie", and it's not bad. Oops, this is not the cheese thread.