Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2016, 12:33 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Timing my eating , which is much easier in retirement, has worked wonders for me. Lost 20 lbs so far since retiring end of Jan 2016. I eat a big breakfast (no calorie counting), usually with a lot of protein, fats, dairy, some carbs (toast mainly). Enjoy it thoroughly, my one indulgence. Then nuts, veggies rest of day, and not too much of that. End eating wit a dinner of only mixed greens with lite vinaigrette and some sunflower seeds. have this NLT 6 pm. Only drink water, except for breakfast coffee or tea.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:35 AM   #62

really too busy with various studying, home and pet projects, Church activities, to feel at all deprived. Try to limit eating out to that breakfast meal, or perhaps once a week with friends at a restaurant, generally keep to salad even there with cheating ever once in a while.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:01 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who are these "they" and "us"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I there is no attempt to help us lose weight other than "eat less and exercise more". In other words, willpower... It seems that if they want us to lose weight, there might be something they could do to help.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:39 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I saw a TV program recently that was a study of people who were on "The Biggest Loser"....

I have not looked it up, but from what I remember they said that almost all of the people gained back their weight... it was said that their metabolism slowed... one lady said that now she only needed 1400 calories to maintain her weight... if she ate more she gained weight!!!

Basically they were saying that the body 'wants' to be a certain weight....

One of the scientists on the podcast I listen to talked about the weight regulatory system. He said basically it is very hard to reset and the body will try hard to compensate to keep you at a given weight - both up and down. He said the. Challenge it is easier to take years to over eat and reset for a heavier weight than the time it takes to reset back to a lower weight. His lesson is don't let yourself over eat on a long term basis and reset for the heavier weight.

Another thing they talked about was starting to research daily activity calorie burn via Fitbit like devices. Apparently this activity can contribute a lot more to average daily energy consumption than they expected. Where exercise might be 500 calories 3x per week, that equals only 200 avg per day. Differences in normal daily activity levels contributed 2 or more times that amount for many participants who considered themselves inactive.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #65
gone traveling

One thing that will help almost everyone, unless you are already paying attention to this, is drinking a sufficient amount of water each day. Staying hydrated can effect your weight positively and provide numerous other health benefits. I know at times, I forget to get sufficient daily H2O intake.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I compare Weight Loss to any other medication.. just because person A uses the medication and has wonderful results, doesn't mean person B will have the same results.. instead they could have side effects, be allergic, or you know the warning labels (in rare instances <insert some horrible side effect or even death>).

ie every body is different and complex. Most doctors still stick to the CICO philosophy even though they know that's not exactly true because its the easy answer. I told my doctor fine, I'll do Seattle Sutton, so after 12 weeks I had lost a total of 1.5 pounds.. even though she told me I would lose 2-2.5 pounds per week if I followed it perfectly... hmm .. then they of course told me I must have cheated... yes because cheating is so much easier to believe than they are wrong and have no clue how weight actually works.

My mother only lost weight once in her life when she went to see one of those "off doctors" who gave her some pill that has something to do with horses, but doctors won't sanction it... it fixed her thyroid problems and she lost the weight but the regular doctors won't sanction it so went back to the "approved" pills and gained it all back.

In the end, to me weight is irrelevant, physical health will matter more as far on longevity and enjoying life. I'm ok being a chubby girl, I take 40 mile bike rides, hike strenuous trails, kayak and run 5ks...and my blood work is excellent.

Could I lose weight, maybe. I've tried all the various diets and the only one that worked was some extreme weight program that was 800 calories, no carbs and managed to lose 30 pounds over 4 months... but at 800 calories, no carbs, that's not living, that's putting paste in your mouth and calling it food...no thanks.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I've lost 20 lbs over the past three months and 50 over the past three years. Oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast, fruit for lunch, 4-6 ounces of fish or lean meat with a vegetable for dinner. A handful of almonds for a snack sometime during the day. Lots of water and a coffee with my morning oatmeal. No special name for the diet, and didn't buy any diet plan. Doctor says to stabilize after losing another 5-10 pounds. This will be my third and hopefully last stabilization level. Plan is to weigh myself daily and adjust my eating as needed. I'm off of one of the two blood pressure meds I was on and may get weaned off the other soon. If it didn't involve work I'd market this and make some more money.

Enjoying life!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Here is a Forum with the current thinking on the "Why we get fat" issue:

https://freetheanimal.com/

Examples:

Breaking: The NuSI / Taubes Carbohydrate-Insulin Alternative Hypothesis of Obesity in Serious Trouble

Quote:
Dr. Hall’s conclusion: no metabolic advantage to a ketogenic diet. Carb-Insulin theory of obesity falsified.

So, it looks like we’re back to plain old caloric restriction to lose weight. And in that vein, then what’s most important is the diet you can stick with. So, if you can more easily or enjoyably adhere to a low-carbohydrate diet in the face of forced caloric restriction over, say, a high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet, then the LC diet is best for you, even if fat loss is more efficient on the latter diet.
What If It’s All Been A Big Fat Truth?

There are, also, (quite) a number of other Blogs that are calling Taubes out on this issue.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

it's funny that this is being presented nowadays as some sort of revolutionary new scientific insight. When I was a child, my Mother cautioned me never to let myself get fat, as it would be a) bad for me, and b) much harder to lose excess weight (once gained) than to train myself to listen to my stomach and know when it was empty or full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
One of the scientists on the podcast I listen to talked about the weight regulatory system. He said basically it is very hard to reset and the body will try hard to compensate to keep you at a given weight - both up and down. He said the. Challenge it is easier to take years to over eat and reset for a heavier weight than the time it takes to reset back to a lower weight. His lesson is don't let yourself over eat on a long term basis and reset for the heavier weight.

Why do we get fat?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #70

Why do we get fat?

It is due to food that was not either burned off or used to build additional muscle.

Everyone knows this so people make themselves fat
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #71

There is a side benefit of being chubby. No lines or wrinkles on my face. All my thin relatives look older than necessary and they are mostly vegetarians.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I agree. I lost 28 lbs in a little more than 2 years since retiring. Eating the same diet as before retirement, just with more exercise. A little more than a week ago, I started the paleo diet on doctor's advice. Very little if any carbs. I've lost another 7 in the last 1.5 weeks.

Before paleo, I had cravings and overate frequently. Since paleo, I really don't have cravings, and I'm not very hungry at mealtime. I believe that the type of calories one eats has just as much affect on one's weight as the number of calories. For me, overall hunger and cravings for bad foods is decreasing as I increase healthy food consumption. So my total calorie intake is down because I'm satisfied eating fewer calories caused by the change in diet.
I've had remarkable results with paleo or "whole food" eating. After decades of bouncing between 180 and 200 lbs., I've been able to easily maintain my high school weight of 165 lbs. for the last year. Lots of non-starchy vegetables, adequate amounts of meat protein, eggs, some fruit and nuts. Little to no grain products. No sweet drinks. A bit of fruit for dessert.

I felt a bit deprived at first, but have been amazed at the satiety I have after eating. The blood sugar roller coaster use to have me craving a snack every few hours. It's a bit more work as far as food prep, but I can't imagine going back to my previous diet.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

After retiring I lost 50 pounds. It was a fairly easy process. We started to travel and are diets changed. More fresh fruits, salads, fish. Less breads, butter, red meat, gooey desserts, and no processed foods.

It was not just a matter of loosing weight. We both felt so much better for changing our diet.

So now it is fruit from breakfast w/ a slice of high fibre bread, fruit for lunch or lean meats. Dinner can be most anything but no fried food, very little pasta, bread, starchy vegatables. Mostly we do salad because that is what we like...with a balsamic vinegar. We seem to eat less red meat as we have aged. Have not lost the taste for it for now we want a small piece of a very high end cut vs a big tbone or porterhouse. Plus a glass of red wine most days. Our last 12 pack of sweet soda lasted for two years...usually for guests, not us.

Just had my physical, numbers are all much better. Neither of us are taking any prescription medicine. We walk several miles a day, some strenuous, every day.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #74

Before FIREing I gained stress weight due to soda, candy machine, poor portion control. Without the stress of work I lost 23lbs so far, 6lbs more to go until the BMI is good.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I'm lean, but my face has always been "full" through the cheeks and chin, and I was always led to believe this was a flaw. I have noticed that I have fewer lines than thinner-faced women my age, but then again, I have been using sunscreen since my 20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
There is a side benefit of being chubby. No lines or wrinkles on my face. All my thin relatives look older than necessary and they are mostly vegetarians.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
This is what it all comes down to. It's like saying no to drugs. It's easy if that's the way you are put together, and it can be incredibly hard if you are not. I am always hungry, sometimes even when I've finished a meal. When I was working I would eat lunch with thin/normal size friends, and they would get about half what I would get, and not finish it. I, on the other hand, would only not get more out of embarrassment. I don't know if it's physical or psychological or what, but if I wasn't always hungry I'd be much thinner. I know it's possible to overcome with extreme application of willpower, but it's very hard, and even if I lose weight it's very difficult to keep it off. I've tried many of the diets and not a one of them has ever dealt with the hunger issue.

And I actually eat quite healthily, most of the time. I love veggies, I haven't had a sugary soda in decades, I don't eat too many processed carbs. I just eat a lot. When I quit drinking alcohol I lose some weight, about 7-10 lbs. That's an easy fix. But it's the food that's the hard part. If there was a drug (other than meth or coke) that would stop my hunger I'd probably lose 50 lbs in a year.
How much exercise do you get?
Do drink enough water?

My wife is quite fit, and to be honest, it upsets her when heavier people assume it's "easy" for her. It isn't. It requires a lot of effort, at times when frankly, she'd rather not put that effort forth. Sometimes it requires not eating something that at that moment, she'd rather eat.

When I quit smoking it wasn't easy. I substituted water and exercise, every time I wanted a smoke. You might try something like that to get you started.

Good luck!
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #77

We get fat - or at least gain weight - because we consume more calories than we burn. I don't think the science on that is under debate.

There are many, many factors which determine how many calories we burn (exercise, natural metabolism, hormones, other body processes such as pregnancy, etc.) and many more that determine how much we consume (carbs, insulin sensitivity, portion control, hunger and satiety, hormones, etc.), but the bottom line is still calories in vs. calories out. The type of weight we gain or lose - predominantly muscle vs. predominantly fat - is determined by the stresses on our bodies while taking in more calories or burning more.

But you can't just gain muscle without also gaining fat, just like you can't just burn fat without also burning muscle. The body doesn't work that way. You can burn or gain more of one than the other depending on how you exercise, but you're not going to be able to only gain one or the other... it's all calories in vs. calories out.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #78
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I think the soup has more liquid and make you feel fuller. I used to love in-out-burger and shake but can't eat fast carb any more.
I feel sick when I eat fast food now so I avoid it. Strange how the body adjusts to healthy eating.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
MoneyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
We get fat - or at least gain weight - because we consume more calories than we burn. I don't think the science on that is under debate.

There are many, many factors which determine how many calories we burn (exercise, natural metabolism, hormones, other body processes such as pregnancy, etc.) and many more that determine how much we consume (carbs, insulin sensitivity, portion control, hunger and satiety, hormones, etc.), but the bottom line is still calories in vs. calories out.

Not sure how you can say hormones and insulin sensitivity impact calaries burned and then say its just calories in vs calories out.. ie every calorie isn't counted the same in your body. Carbs and Proteins are treated differently in your body...so not all calories are the same.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Not sure how you can say hormones and insulin sensitivity impact calaries burned and then say its just calories in vs calories out.. ie every calorie isn't counted the same in your body. Carbs and Proteins are treated differently in your body...so not all calories are the same.

No, I can say that because it is the mechanism of how we gain mass as humans: calories in vs. calories out.

I made pains in that post to acknowledge that there are many factors that affect how fast we burn calories and how many calories we are able to and desire to consume, but the biological mechanism of weight gain is the body's response to excess calories. 3000 calories more than your body needs will generally equate to a lb of weight gained. How, where and what that weight gain manifests is dependent on many other factors. How many calories your body needs is dependent on many factors.

But the biological mechanism is the same.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote