Why exercise won't make you lose weight

Good video. I liked the part where he said, "this is where everyone says, uh oh he's sneaking in that Adkins crap." It does sound like the same conclusion. Stay away from starchy foods and deserts; eat as much steak and sausage as you like. Works for me, except I do like my hash browns.

I can say from my own personal experience that I tried low fat dieting and exercise for years and struggled to keep my weight in check. It ran between 193 and 205 lbs. (Male, 6'1" tall). I learned about the carbohydrate limited way of eating and the research behind it in 1998. I slashed my carbohydrate intake to around a total 30 gm/day with adequate protein. I stopped sweating the fat intake so much. I stayed moderately active with brisk walking.

6 months later I was at 180 lbs., my high school weight and felt fantastic. DW followed suit and had similar results. We try to maintain this by staying around 60gm/day of carbs, although we fall off the wagon once in a while like during vacations:whistle:

I am listening to this speech now. His data about poor populations=obese populations may have been true where and when the observations were made, but I spent a fair amount of time among very poor people in the Andes and they were very thin. These were mestizos, not Amerindians. They lived on arepas ( a cornmeal biscuit) rice and some beans and coffee. I never saw any meat being eaten in this mountainous area, though some families had a pig and must have had meat sometimes. They had no refrigeration. Kitchen gardens were rare, though there was an occasional orange tree. They didn't own land, and all the land around was devoted to coffee growing. I never saw a fat man, woman or child out in the countryside. Perhaps the reason was that there was so little food, even of this low quality. I know I lost weight steadily all the while I was there, and I likely got more to eat than they did.

Maybe poor people in the cities were fatter, but I have no knowledge of this. When I was in the city I wasn't around poor people so I really didn't see many other than maids, waitresses, gardeners etc. who actually might have had pretty good food from their employment.

Ha

TAl,
How is this different than Atkins, or modified Atkins which allows more carbs? I did Atkins 20 years ago or so, but I found it impossible to stay on.

TAl,
How is this different than Atkins, or modified Atkins which allows more carbs? I did Atkins 20 years ago or so, but I found it impossible to stay on.

I don't know. As Don mentioned, part way through he says "this is where everyone says, uh oh he's sneaking in that Atkins crap." But he doesn't follow that with "but what I'm saying is different" or with "and that's what I'm saying."

I've got the book on hold at the library, but I'm worried that the book will be convincing even if it's wrong.

I find this fascinating because obesity is such a big problem, and tens of millions of people are on diets that don't have a chance of succeeding.

There is a Cardiologist in Seattle that has written several books with a similar bent. Dr. Rob Thompson. I read his first book 'The New Low Carb Way of Life'. It was one of the better books on diet I have read. It did not have a single recipe in it, but, lots of information how diet effected you heart. I would think his new book

Amazon.com: The Glycemic-Load Diet: A powerful new program for losing weight and reversing insulin resistance (9780071462693): Rob Thompson: Books

would also be good. Both are about low glycemic load. You might see if you library has any of his books.

I don't know. As Don mentioned, part way through he says "this is where everyone says, uh oh he's sneaking in that Atkins crap." But he doesn't follow that with "but what I'm saying is different" or with "and that's what I'm saying."

I've got the book on hold at the library, but I'm worried that the book will be convincing even if it's wrong.

I find this fascinating because obesity is such a big problem, and tens of millions of people are on diets that don't have a chance of succeeding.

I just got the book from the library. So Al, what do you think is wrong with his premise or conclusions?....not being contentious, just curious.

I just got the book from the library. So Al, what do you think is wrong with his premise or conclusions?....not being contentious, just curious.
It just seems like such a departure from what we've been told for so long, namely, "eat a diet low in saturated fat and high in grains and cereals."

Years ago I was shocked to see my BIL eating tons of bacon, sausage, and eggs, when he was overweight and had a dad who died of a heart attack at age 39.

But I'm pretty open-minded at this point. In the video above, the author states that there are only seven studies showing a correlation between saturated fat and heart disease, and most of those were equivocal. It just seems surprising that so many researchers could be so wrong.

It just seems like such a departure from what we've been told for so long, namely, "eat a diet low in saturated fat and high in grains and cereals."

Years ago I was shocked to see my BIL eating tons of bacon, sausage, and eggs, when he was overweight and had a dad who died of a heart attack at age 39.

But I'm pretty open-minded at this point. In the video above, the author states that there are only seven studies showing a correlation between saturated fat and heart disease, and most of those were equivocal. It just seems surprising that so many researchers could be so wrong.

What this guy is saying does seem counter intuitive, but it reminds me of the movie "Lorenzo's Oil" where the boy has ALD, a disease that's root cause is an inability to break down big fat molecules, so the medical establishment says you must eat a fat free diet. Well Lorenzo's dad figures out himself how to stop this disease, and it is to actually consume an oil concoction, which is the exact opposite of what you would intuitively think, and what the medical establishment thought.

ALD and Lorenzo's Oil - ALD and Lorenzo Odone

I have done Atkins twice. I lost weight both times. It does work, however, as I said, it like most diets is hard to come off of and into a maintenance program.

TAl, I too have given some thought to the teachings eat more grains and less fat. I think to some extent it is what is taught in schools and therefore gains acceptance. Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist as is Dr. Thompson. Now that does not make them right, and certainly not in the 'majority', but both are convinced that a low carb diet is better for you than the current 'recommendations'.

I also think the medical profession is one of the last to adopt something new. Seems like Lister and Pasteur and several folks in the past had a difficult time convincing the medical profession of their day that microbes caused people to get sick. Same thing recently when someone tried to convince them that a microbe of some sort was a major cause of ulcers. I heard a doctor defend this, once, that they can't afford to be wrong and therefore are very slow to accept new data.

Maybe we should get our carbs from veggies and fruits, instead of grains...

As is often said by the "gym crew," "most of your gains will be made outside of the gym, not in the gym." The general meaning is you can do all of the exercising you want, but if you don't eat properly you will not make any gains. This makes sense when you consider a good workout will burn 500-1000 calories, but one Big Mac meal will replace all of the calories burned, plus some.

With the lack of portion and diet control prevalent in the US, it is no wonder that we are very overweight. Just changing one's diet to healthy levels will result in weight loss for most people. If you add in a good exercise program with it, not only will fat loss occur, but people will be healthier and feel better.

The original study quoted in this thread is of little use since the people were trusted to maintain their diets on their own. I did not see where the participant's kept a diet log or anything of that nature. There is a natural tendency to increase food intake when working out, so without the log or monitored eating the study is useless. I often tell people who are having a difficult time losing weight, to keep a food journal. After a couple days they see where they are overindulging on their food intake and start cutting calories. Most are shocked at how much food they actually eat in a day.

There is a Cardiologist in Seattle that has written several books with a similar bent. Dr. Rob Thompson. I read his first book 'The New Low Carb Way of Life'. It was one of the better books on diet I have read. It did not have a single recipe in it, but, lots of information how diet effected you heart. I would think his new book

Amazon.com: The Glycemic-Load Diet: A powerful new program for losing weight and reversing insulin resistance (9780071462693): Rob Thompson: Books

would also be good. Both are about low glycemic load. You might see if you library has any of his books.

My library has this (The Glycemic-load Diet) as an ebook, and I read the first chapter or two this morning. It looks very good.

TAL,
If they have 'The New Low Carb Way of Life' you should read that. It is not so much a diet book as it is an explanation from a doctor as to what cholesterol is doing to you. Well worth the read.

The original study quoted in this thread is of little use since the people were trusted to maintain their diets on their own. I did not see where the participant's kept a diet log or anything of that nature. There is a natural tendency to increase food intake when working out, so without the log or monitored eating the study is useless. I often tell people who are having a difficult time losing weight, to keep a food journal. After a couple days they see where they are overindulging on their food intake and start cutting calories. Most are shocked at how much food they actually eat in a day.

I agree completely. When I lost all my weight a few years ago it was through Weight Watchers at work and 'journaling' was for me THE most effective part of the program. To encourage exercising there was a calculation, depending on the intensity, duration and your weight, that added extra 'points' (calories)
to your weekly allowance. However, although I recorded how much exercise I was doing, I never increased my points allowance.

The article today is the top story at CNN.com:

exercise.jpg

So I revise my estimate: This article will cause 10 million people to stop exercising. And this article and this article will cause 5 million people to stop watching what they eat.

Al, I think I agree with you. The article will definitely encourage lots of folks to give up exercising even though the article states that esercise is good for you.

People who regularly exercise are at significantly lower risk for all manner of diseases — those of the heart in particular. They less often develop cancer, diabetes and many other illnesses. But the past few years of obesity research show that the role of exercise in weight loss has been wildly overstated.

I've just read an article from The Daily Telegraph in England that says a survey shows that less than 3% of the population associate obesity with higher risks of cancer even though the link is well publicized.

People hear what they want to hear so if CNN and Time are saying exercise can actually cause you to put on weight by making you more hungry, then that's all they need to know to stop exercising.

The article today is the top story at CNN.com:

View attachment 7276

So I revise my estimate: This article will cause 10 million people to stop exercising. And this article and this article will cause 5 million people to stop watching what they eat.

This is an article written by Gary Taubes two years ago. Much better than the recent Time Magazine article IMO.

I do not think that articles like there really change anyone's behavior. They just give people the "talking points" to justify what they are already doing.

Does Exercise Really Make Us Thinner? -- New York Magazine

me too

One of the things that caught my attention is that the main study quoted was done at The Pennington Research Center right door to where we live and we actually know 2 people who have volunteered to undergo their programs and studies on weight loss.

Me too. Right before I finished my summer internship in their information & biostatistics department, for $500 I volunteered for one of their studies. Had something to do with body fat distribution in males vs. females.

To everyone here who knows who Taubes is, there's this blog I read and seriously suggest to you. It's run by a radiologist whose perspective is influenced by, but not a copy of Taubes. I find the arguments he makes convincing, and he practically does Q&A for readers.

This is an article written by Gary Taubes two years ago. Much better than the recent Time Magazine article IMO.

I do not think that articles like there really change anyone's behavior. They just give people the "talking points" to justify what they are already doing.

Does Exercise Really Make Us Thinner? -- New York Magazine

Here's my favorite quote from that article:
It’s difficult to get health authorities to talk about the disconnect between their official recommendations and the scientific evidence that underlies it because they want to encourage us to exercise, even if their primary reason for doing so is highly debatable. Steve Blair, for instance, a University of South Carolina exercise scientist and a co-author of the AHA-ACSM guidelines, says he was “short, fat, and bald” when he started running in his thirties and he is short, fatter, and balder now, at age 68. In the intervening years, he estimates, he has run close to 80,000 miles and gained about 30 pounds.

When I asked Blair whether he thought he might be leaner had he run even more, he had to think about it. “I don’t see how I could have been more active,” he said. “Thirty years ago, I was running 50 miles a week. I had no time to do more. But if I could have gone out over the last couple of decades for two to three hours a day, maybe I would not have gained this weight.” And maybe he would have anyway. If we trust the AHA-ACSM report he co-authored, there is little reason to believe that the amount he runs makes any difference. Nonetheless, Blair personally believes he would be fatter still if he hadn’t been running. Why?

I work out three days per week. Aerobic work and strength training. My appetite did increase and I did gain weight. However my stamina, posture and quality of life improved markedly and the pain in my joints greatly reduced and is most cases is completely gone. For those reasons alone I am sticking with my work out plan. I am in better shape now than the day I retired.

I have since lost the weight I gained and then some, by changing my diet away from the so called "White Menace" of refined flour, rice, potatoes etc. etc. It is working beyond my expectations. I never thought weight loss could be this easy. I like to cook so trying new recipies and learning new techniques has been fun. I figure if not now when. I have the time, will and money to do this. I also want to enjoy this retirement for as long as possible so why not concentrate on a health make over.

I think that exercise and dieting go hand in hand at this point. What I am finding most fascinating is the influence of insulin on our bodies and am reading every thing I can get my hands on to learn more.

10 years ago I would run 2-5 miles at a time, 3-5 days a week, and sometimes took long breaks. I was gaining a pound or two or more per year.

In 2001 I decided to train for and run a marathon, and ran up to 45 miles a week. I lost 20 pounds. I didn't consciously change my diet. I felt like my appetite increased, so I did eat more, but tried not to let it be a license to eat junk. There's no doubt in my mind that the weight dropped because of the increase in running.

After the marathon, I cut back on my running, and much of the weight came back on. I've run 9 marathons since then, and every time I'm in marathon training I lose weight. Right now I'm in training again, and have dropped about 12 pounds this summer. Again, I haven't changed my diet noticeably. The big variable that always goes along with my weight loss is the increase in running.

But the weight loss doesn't come with 30-60 minutes of running 3-4 times a week. I have to run a lot more than that. But the Taubes article says that wouldn't matter, and questions why Blair thinks it would.

I don't think exercise (lots of it) makes me lose weight, I know it, because I've proven it to myself. What I don't know is whether this applies to other people. I also think I could lose more weight with a better diet, but I don't know it.

Back
Top Bottom