Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
But the fact is that she's 65, and has been looking her age recently. She has certainly paid her dues.

What are the odds that she will retire in 2013?
I doubt she will retire but I hope she realizes the gray limp hair is aging her .So a new hair do with a blond rinse and maybe a little botox and she is good to go.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This is NOT a political thread, it's a health one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The thought of a first "lady" Bill brings a smile to my face.
*Ahem.*

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I doubt she will retire but I hope she realizes the gray limp hair is aging her .So a new hair do with a blond rinse and maybe a little botox and she is good to go.
Lately she's been looking more and more like Madeline Albright, a previous Sec of State.

But I don't think she should do anything to change her appearance. She's accomplished so much and she's respected whether her age is apparent or not.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #24

I hope she will emulate a mentor, Madeline Albright, who pioneered the position of female Secretary of State. Clinton has been a more effective Secretary, but there is more to politics and influence than holding the presidency.

While the president of a country has a lot of high exposure, the influence of the office, has been reduced recently. The ability of the President of the United States to influence world affairs has diminished as the third world has grown economically and emotionally; and domestically, the office doesn't seem to have the ability to affect consistent change in the country. That's the politics.

President of the United States is a stressful position - that's the health part of the office. She can continue to influence governments (which she has demonstrated in her position) through non-government offices. Madeline Albright continues to do that through her work as a professor at Georgetown University, head of a consulting firm, and her work with other former foreign affairs ministers who act to influence governments as they struggle with domestic and international problems.

At age 75, she:
". . . is a Professor in the Practice of Diplomacy at the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service. She chairs both the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs and the Pew Global Attitudes Project and serves as president of the Truman Scholarship Foundation. She serves on the U.S. Department of Defense’s Defense Policy Board, a group tasked with providing the Secretary of Defense with independent, informed advice and opinion concerning matters of defense policy. Dr. Albright also serves on the Boards of the Council on Foreign Relations, the Aspen Institute and the Center for American Progress. In 2009, Dr. Albright was asked by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen to Chair a Group of Experts focused on developing NATO’s New Strategic Concept."

Global Business Consulting and Strategy Firm | Madeleine K. Albright | Albright Stonebridge Group

Sounds just as interesting and stimulating as being Secretary of State or President of the United States, without the stress level.

-- Rita
Old 01-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #25

As much as I agree with Meadbh that it would be best for her to retire and lighten up, I have to agree with Nords that it's extremely unlikely. I doubt if she could even conceive of a laid-back lifestyle.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #26

I wish her well. I definitely admire her and wish that she would retire. I think that it would be nice if Bill and her enjoyed retirement for awhile.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister
As much as I agree with Meadbh that it would be best for her to retire and lighten up, I have to agree with Nords that it's extremely unlikely. I doubt if she could even conceive of a laid-back lifestyle.
Hillary and Bill Clinton have more ambition in their finger tips than I have in my entire body. That is just their nature, and good for them. If she took a short vacation and settled into a lifestyle like I have of pure leisure, she would go crazy. Now people are certainly allowed to change their minds, but she and her husband both have been quoted repeatedly in the past that she will not run for president again.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The news mentioned that she's flown about a million miles as secretary of state. We already know that long flights aren't good as long periods of sitting can cause clots.
She's not flying in coach. She can and probably does get up and walk around during her flights.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Barring some serious medical complications, almost zero. High profile, high achiever types rarely voluntarily give up the spotlight.
Right! One name for you - Robert C. Byrd
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The news mentioned that she's flown about a million miles as secretary of state. We already know that long flights aren't good as long periods of sitting can cause clots.
Yes, I had the same thought when I heard about this. Plus, just the stress from constant long-distance travel (and the impact on sleep, diet, etc) has to impact your health after a while. In recent photos of her, she has definitely aged a lot these last few years. I have a lot of respect for what she has done for the country, and at age 65, I hope she does decide to relax and enjoy the remainder of her life. Even high-achievers need to realize when it's time for a change.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Right! One name for you - Robert C. Byrd
Yeah, and Senator Inouye died before he was ready to quit, too.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am only a year older than Sec. Clinton and I sure would NOT want the constant on the go stress of her job.

On several different sites I have suggested that perhaps her next title shoul be Grandma. That could, with some think tank or University position keep her REAL busy.
marvholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #33

I think we need to separate health from intention. For many people, health requires them to "slow down" long before their intention would... there are many people who's intention would be to never slow down in any way. I'm the exact opposite: As I get older, I'm beginning to think that my intention to achieve would not be as satisfying as "slowing down", stepping away from the rat race, and contributing whatever my health will allow me to contribute in some less competitive and stressful context. Maybe I'm mythologizing it (though those I know who are doing it would say I am not...) but I find the idea of finally seeing that net worth tip over some magic number, and being able to spend my time helping out at church and in my community in general rather than going to a job where my main reward is "just" money, to be very appealing.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I resemble that remark! Literally---since I'm one of those women who don't color her hair or get Botox. I just don't see that hair color makes people look younger. Ever see that red hair color so predominant in Florida on 80+ year olds? They still look their age.

Take a look at the gray haired women here and tell me they don't look wonderful:

Silver Sisters
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I resemble that remark! Literally---since I'm one of those women who don't color her hair or get Botox. I just don't see that hair color makes people look younger. Ever see that red hair color so predominant in Florida on 80+ year olds? They still look their age.

Take a look at the gray haired women here and tell me they don't look wonderful:

Silver Sisters
I dislike the hair coloring and cosmetic alterations. They look terrible twenty years later. People do stand out, but for the wrong reasons, and South Florida is the showcase for that.

This reminds me of a recent conversation with a niece, university age. She was visiting and had colored streaks in her hair. Over the course of the conversation she said "I have to dye my hair back to its original color". We joked after I pointed out the oxymoronic nature of that statement.

I do have to 'fess up. Shortly after retiring, on New Year's Eve ('00) I streaked my hair green. It was a wager with my daughter and her grades.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #36

Hilary has definitely earned my respect over the years. She is an extremely smart, seasoned politician with a wealth of knowledge. Don't know what she will do. While she deserves a rest I don't know if she will take it.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #37

I agree that maybe a cosmetic tuck and/or botox would help. I think she would look better if her hair were styled better. Even a braided pony tail would be nice...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I agree that maybe a cosmetic tuck and/or botox would help.
Whenever I hear something like this, I always think of Nancy Reagan and shudder.
If she had one more facelift, she would have been breathing through her navel.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With all this talk of Botox, face lifts and hair color, ask yourself if we would be having this conversation if Hillary were a man. (BTW have you noticed how much grey Pres. Obama has lately?) I do think Hillary should hire a good stylist and get a smart, short haircut that would look good with grey hair.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #40

First: You're correct: There is a lot more focus on Hillary Clinton's appearance than there would be if she were a man. Second: I don't think President Obama actually has aged as much as President Clinton and President Bush both appeared to have aged, at the beginning of their second terms.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote