Why Hillary Clinton should seriously consider (not so) ER

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is NOT a political thread, it's a health one. According to Reuters, Hillary has a right transverse sinus venous thrombosis.

Clinton suffers clot behind right ear, full recovery seen | Reuters

Although they are insisting that she is fine, this is in fact a (fairly uncommon) type of stroke.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Over 60% of patients treated with anticoagulants have a normal outcome, but that's not a given. In Hillary's case, one obvious antecedent factor was the dehydration she developed after picking up gastroenteritis recently on her grueling travels.

I like Hillary and I recognize that many people want her to run again for President of the US in 2016. But the fact is that she's 65, and has been looking her age recently. She has certainly paid her dues.

What are the odds that she will retire in 2013?

I wish her the best. Not my favorite candidate. But she has served her country in the best way she saw fit. Hope she recovers. We should all wish her the best no matter what our affiliation.

If she runs for President in 2016 she'd be 69 at the start of her term. Anyone thinking of voting for her needs to seriously consider who her running mate is because she may not make it thru her full term let alone 2 terms. She's an old 65. The last 20 years have been massively streesful for her. I think she SHOULD retire but I don't think she will.

I wish her the best. Not my favorite candidate. But she has served her country in the best way she saw fit. Hope she recovers. We should all wish her the best no matter what our affiliation.

Agreed.

This is NOT a political thread, it's a health one. According to Reuters, Hillary has a right transverse sinus venous thrombosis.

Clinton suffers clot behind right ear, full recovery seen | Reuters

Although they are insisting that she is fine, this is in fact a (fairly uncommon) type of stroke.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Over 60% of patients treated with anticoagulants have a normal outcome, but that's not a given. In Hillary's case, one obvious antecedent factor was the dehydration she developed after picking up gastroenteritis recently on her grueling travels.

I like Hillary and I recognize that many people want her to run again for President of the US in 2016. But the fact is that she's 65, and has been looking her age recently. She has certainly paid her dues.

I am glad you posted this since I was really wondering about how healthy she was, nice to have doctor confirm my suspicions.

It is interesting I didn't like her as a first lady. Gained a grudging respect for her as Senator. She wasn't my choice for Presidential candidate, but in hindsight I think the country made a mistake. I do think she has been an above average Sec. of State. and at this point definitely respect her.

But as you say she has been looking her age, for her own sake and for Chelsea sake I do hope she takes it easy for a bit, cause she certainly deserves to spend time with the grandkids.

The news mentioned that she's flown about a million miles as secretary of state. We already know that long flights aren't good as long periods of sitting can cause clots.

Good thing they probably have the best medical care possible. First George Bush senior and now Hillary.
I wish them both the best.

Last edited:
Get well soon Hillary.

What's she going to do-- sit at home with Bill to write her memoirs, and pester Chelsea about grandkids?!?

If there's anyone who's doubly cursed against early retirement, it's lawyers who've enjoyed a taste of the successful political life.

I think she'll die someday. I think she'll die sooner if she stops doing the political life she's been enjoying for the last 20 years. I bet in the next four years she makes a bunch of lifestyle changes and waves her medical records in everyone's faces to prove how much healthier she is.

Certainly hoping for a great outcome and wishing she would retire and take it easy. She works too, too hard.

Just last month my dad spent a week in the hospital for blood clots in his lungs. The dr. said, "his lungs are stormed". When i asked what that meant, he just said they were full of clots.

It will be awhile before my 82 yo dad feels good again. He is a very busy, farmer kind of guy, building fences, feeding large animals, stuff like that. He is still pushing himself every day, though he does take breaks for fishing.

I am guessing a clot in your skull is even scarier.

The news mentioned that she's flown about a million miles as secretary of state. We already know that long flights aren't good as long periods of sitting can cause clots.

Good thing they probably have the best medical care possible. First George Bush senior and now Hillary.
I wish them both the best.

It appears that the secretary of state gets a private cabin on the 757 she generally travels on. This sort of implies a bed. In one interview she says she sleeps a lot on the plane as well. So in particular she likley does not sit as much as some of her staff may.

It appears that the secretary of state gets a private cabin on the 757 she generally travels on. This sort of implies a bed. In one interview she says she sleeps a lot on the plane as well. So in particular she likley does not sit as much as some of her staff may.

That's good to know.

I've thought she looked very weary the last few months and that the job and all the travel have been hard on her.

I wish for her full recovery and really hope she seriously considers whether she should stay in the political world or settle into a less stressful world. However her husband has made some significant lifestyle changes and I would imagine she could to.

Like Hillary, I am in my 60's and all politics aside, just thinking about working that hard for so many years makes me tired! :2funny:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I worked very hard until I was 60, but that was about all I was willing to do.

Reagan has prostate problems before running for President, and medical science is thirty-five years more advanced. However, before Reagan was elected, Presidential politics was nowhere near as cut-throat as it is today, where both sides seek to exploit every single possible means of making the other side look bad, without any regard whatsoever to whether such information actually matters with regard to governance.

I wish her the best. We should all wish her the best no matter what our affiliation.
+1. I am sure she's getting the best possible care, and she will be fine when all is said and done.

+1

....She's an old 65. ...

The news mentioned that she's flown about a million miles as secretary of state. ....

It's not the age..... it's the mileage.

I think she will take a year "off" to recuperate from her grueling schedule as Secretary of State and then decide. My money would be that she does decide to run in 2016. The thought of a first "lady" Bill brings a smile to my face.

Reagan has prostate problems before running for President

Well, at least that's one problem Hillary won't have to worry about!

:LOL:

But the fact is that she's 65, and has been looking her age recently. She has certainly paid her dues.

I doubt she will retire but I hope she realizes the gray limp hair is aging her .So a new hair do with a blond rinse and maybe a little botox and she is good to go.

I doubt she will retire but I hope she realizes the gray limp hair is aging her .So a new hair do with a blond rinse and maybe a little botox and she is good to go.

Lately she's been looking more and more like Madeline Albright, a previous Sec of State.

But I don't think she should do anything to change her appearance. She's accomplished so much and she's respected whether her age is apparent or not.

I hope she will emulate a mentor, Madeline Albright, who pioneered the position of female Secretary of State. Clinton has been a more effective Secretary, but there is more to politics and influence than holding the presidency.

While the president of a country has a lot of high exposure, the influence of the office, has been reduced recently. The ability of the President of the United States to influence world affairs has diminished as the third world has grown economically and emotionally; and domestically, the office doesn't seem to have the ability to affect consistent change in the country. That's the politics.

President of the United States is a stressful position - that's the health part of the office. She can continue to influence governments (which she has demonstrated in her position) through non-government offices. Madeline Albright continues to do that through her work as a professor at Georgetown University, head of a consulting firm, and her work with other former foreign affairs ministers who act to influence governments as they struggle with domestic and international problems.

At age 75, she:
". . . is a Professor in the Practice of Diplomacy at the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service. She chairs both the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs and the Pew Global Attitudes Project and serves as president of the Truman Scholarship Foundation. She serves on the U.S. Department of Defense’s Defense Policy Board, a group tasked with providing the Secretary of Defense with independent, informed advice and opinion concerning matters of defense policy. Dr. Albright also serves on the Boards of the Council on Foreign Relations, the Aspen Institute and the Center for American Progress. In 2009, Dr. Albright was asked by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen to Chair a Group of Experts focused on developing NATO’s New Strategic Concept."

Global Business Consulting and Strategy Firm | Madeleine K. Albright | Albright Stonebridge Group

Sounds just as interesting and stimulating as being Secretary of State or President of the United States, without the stress level.

-- Rita

As much as I agree with Meadbh that it would be best for her to retire and lighten up, I have to agree with Nords that it's extremely unlikely. I doubt if she could even conceive of a laid-back lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom