Join Early Retirement Today

Why Hillary Clinton should seriously consider (not so) ER
Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why Hillary Clinton should seriously consider (not so) ER

This is NOT a political thread, it's a health one. According to Reuters, Hillary has a right transverse sinus venous thrombosis.

Clinton suffers clot behind right ear, full recovery seen | Reuters

Although they are insisting that she is fine, this is in fact a (fairly uncommon) type of stroke.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Over 60% of patients treated with anticoagulants have a normal outcome, but that's not a given. In Hillary's case, one obvious antecedent factor was the dehydration she developed after picking up gastroenteritis recently on her grueling travels.

I like Hillary and I recognize that many people want her to run again for President of the US in 2016. But the fact is that she's 65, and has been looking her age recently. She has certainly paid her dues.

What are the odds that she will retire in 2013?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Barring some serious medical complications, almost zero. High profile, high achiever types rarely voluntarily give up the spotlight.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wish her the best. Not my favorite candidate. But she has served her country in the best way she saw fit. Hope she recovers. We should all wish her the best no matter what our affiliation.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Barring some serious medical complications, almost zero. High profile, high achiever types rarely voluntarily give up the spotlight.
+1
Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If she runs for President in 2016 she'd be 69 at the start of her term. Anyone thinking of voting for her needs to seriously consider who her running mate is because she may not make it thru her full term let alone 2 terms. She's an old 65. The last 20 years have been massively streesful for her. I think she SHOULD retire but I don't think she will.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I wish her the best. Not my favorite candidate. But she has served her country in the best way she saw fit. Hope she recovers. We should all wish her the best no matter what our affiliation.
Agreed.
azphx1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is NOT a political thread, it's a health one. According to Reuters, Hillary has a right transverse sinus venous thrombosis.

Clinton suffers clot behind right ear, full recovery seen | Reuters

Although they are insisting that she is fine, this is in fact a (fairly uncommon) type of stroke.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Over 60% of patients treated with anticoagulants have a normal outcome, but that's not a given. In Hillary's case, one obvious antecedent factor was the dehydration she developed after picking up gastroenteritis recently on her grueling travels.

I like Hillary and I recognize that many people want her to run again for President of the US in 2016. But the fact is that she's 65, and has been looking her age recently. She has certainly paid her dues.

I am glad you posted this since I was really wondering about how healthy she was, nice to have doctor confirm my suspicions.

It is interesting I didn't like her as a first lady. Gained a grudging respect for her as Senator. She wasn't my choice for Presidential candidate, but in hindsight I think the country made a mistake. I do think she has been an above average Sec. of State. and at this point definitely respect her.

But as you say she has been looking her age, for her own sake and for Chelsea sake I do hope she takes it easy for a bit, cause she certainly deserves to spend time with the grandkids.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The news mentioned that she's flown about a million miles as secretary of state. We already know that long flights aren't good as long periods of sitting can cause clots.

Good thing they probably have the best medical care possible. First George Bush senior and now Hillary.
I wish them both the best.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Get well soon Hillary.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We're all getting old.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What's she going to do-- sit at home with Bill to write her memoirs, and pester Chelsea about grandkids?!?

If there's anyone who's doubly cursed against early retirement, it's lawyers who've enjoyed a taste of the successful political life.

I think she'll die someday. I think she'll die sooner if she stops doing the political life she's been enjoying for the last 20 years. I bet in the next four years she makes a bunch of lifestyle changes and waves her medical records in everyone's faces to prove how much healthier she is.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Certainly hoping for a great outcome and wishing she would retire and take it easy. She works too, too hard.

Just last month my dad spent a week in the hospital for blood clots in his lungs. The dr. said, "his lungs are stormed". When i asked what that meant, he just said they were full of clots.

It will be awhile before my 82 yo dad feels good again. He is a very busy, farmer kind of guy, building fences, feeding large animals, stuff like that. He is still pushing himself every day, though he does take breaks for fishing.

I am guessing a clot in your skull is even scarier.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The news mentioned that she's flown about a million miles as secretary of state. We already know that long flights aren't good as long periods of sitting can cause clots.

Good thing they probably have the best medical care possible. First George Bush senior and now Hillary.
I wish them both the best.
It appears that the secretary of state gets a private cabin on the 757 she generally travels on. This sort of implies a bed. In one interview she says she sleeps a lot on the plane as well. So in particular she likley does not sit as much as some of her staff may.
meierlde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
It appears that the secretary of state gets a private cabin on the 757 she generally travels on. This sort of implies a bed. In one interview she says she sleeps a lot on the plane as well. So in particular she likley does not sit as much as some of her staff may.
That's good to know.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #15

I've thought she looked very weary the last few months and that the job and all the travel have been hard on her.

I wish for her full recovery and really hope she seriously considers whether she should stay in the political world or settle into a less stressful world. However her husband has made some significant lifestyle changes and I would imagine she could to.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Like Hillary, I am in my 60's and all politics aside, just thinking about working that hard for so many years makes me tired!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I worked very hard until I was 60, but that was about all I was willing to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #17

Reagan has prostate problems before running for President, and medical science is thirty-five years more advanced. However, before Reagan was elected, Presidential politics was nowhere near as cut-throat as it is today, where both sides seek to exploit every single possible means of making the other side look bad, without any regard whatsoever to whether such information actually matters with regard to governance.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wish her the best. We should all wish her the best no matter what our affiliation.
+1. I am sure she's getting the best possible care, and she will be fine when all is said and done.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
....She's an old 65. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The news mentioned that she's flown about a million miles as secretary of state. ....
It's not the age..... it's the mileage.

I think she will take a year "off" to recuperate from her grueling schedule as Secretary of State and then decide. My money would be that she does decide to run in 2016. The thought of a first "lady" Bill brings a smile to my face.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Reagan has prostate problems before running for President
Well, at least that's one problem Hillary won't have to worry about!

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote