Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
300 pound plus NFL linemen are not all lean. They carry a lot of muscle but they also have a boatload of fat.
Again, offensive linemen usualy do not want to be lean. A big part of their job is to be hard to move out of the way. Find a fat college swimmer or rower.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Again, offensive linemen usualy do not want to be lean. A big part of their job is to be hard to move out of the way. Find a fat college swimmer or rower.

Ha
No argument. I was simply disputing the idea that if you exercise hard enough you can't get fat.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
300 pound plus NFL linemen are not all lean. They carry a lot of muscle but they also have a boatload of fat.
Quote:

Ha
Quote:
No argument. I was simply disputing the idea that if you exercise hard enough you can't get fat.
Well, I suspect offensive linemen (as well as heavy weight lifters, sumo wrestlers, and others who need weight to perform properly) still have significantly lower BMI than they look like they do. There's this thing called slab muscle that looks like fat but isn't. But you're right, even if you burn a ton of calories, if you try (especially using supplements and chemicals) to gain fat you can do it.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree if you eat more calories than you burn you get fatter and fatter. It doesn't matter if your calorie intake is from bacon or pasta or celery. I notice portion sizes in the states are huge. If I eat a whole portion in almost any restaurant, I am so full I need to lie down when I get home. In France or Germany, where I visit regularly, after a meal I feel good, not hungry but not stuffed after a meal. It's not exactly low fat food in Europe either, I think it is just more reasonable portion size.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So who among us has the self discipline to self impose that kind of regimen?
Every season on "The Biggest Loser".

And as soon as the spotlight turns away, most of them gain it right back.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, I suspect offensive linemen (as well as heavy weight lifters, sumo wrestlers, and others who need weight to perform properly) still have significantly lower BMI than they look like they do. There's this thing called slab muscle that looks like fat but isn't.
Harley - I would think the other way around.
BMI only takes the mass and height into considerations and muscle is denser than fat.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

And, or course, the refrigerator:

Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Here's an article from this morning's paper (to sum up, don't eat after 7:00 pm at night):

Quote:
Even though they ate a high-fat diet, the mice who wrapped up their eating day early and were forced to fast for 16 hours were lean — almost as lean as mice in a control group who ate regular chow. But the mice who noshed on high-fat chow around the clock became obese, even though they consumed the same amount of fat and calories as their counterparts on the time-restricted diet.

Extra weight wasn't their only problem. The obese mice developed high cholesterol, high blood sugar, fatty liver disease and metabolic problems. The mice who ate fatty food but were forced to fast showed hardly any signs of inflammation or liver disease, and their cholesterol and blood sugar levels were virtually indistinguishable from those of mice who ate regular chow. When put on an exercise wheel, they showed the most endurance and the best motor control of all the animals in the study. Nighttime fasting may foster weight loss - latimes.com
Old 05-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Here's an article from this morning's paper (to sum up, don't eat after 7:00 pm at night):
On the other hand, Spain and Argentina and many other Latin countries rarely even consider dinner before 10:00pm, and they are a loss less fat than North Americans who eat their dinner early.

Ha
Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On the other hand, Spain and Argentina and many other Latin countries rarely even consider dinner before 10:00pm, and they are a loss less fat than North Americans who eat their dinner early.

Ha
I imagine the Spanish-speaking mice were in the control group.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksols

Or could it be that we just don't "do work" ? We let/pay others to mow our yard, clean our gutters, paint our house? We don't clean/ vaccuum/dust our own homes, or as quoted above...keep moving?
Good point.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #52

I had one roommate in college that ate at 11PM and then went straight to sleep. He could eat an entire 16" pizza including the outer crust, which he would leave till last and dip in ketchup. He was pretty thin, and I think it was his only meal of the day.

Like saving up for something you really like.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Italians, too, sit down to their last meal around 9 or 10 p.m. I found this very hard to do when I lived there. It was hard to wait for that meal, and hard to go right to bed on a full stomach. On the other hand they eat a very skimpy breakfast--cornetto, coffee--probably because they wake up still full from last night's meal. Back here in the U.S. I eat something like the lean mice in the experiment--very early dinner then many hours of fasting until breakfast. It feels "right."