Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I'm going to contact the local news/weather folks and ask if this November/December has been cloudier than usual.
Yell at them for me while you are at it. I'm already sick of the snow and it is only December.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

We were lucky to have a brighter-than-last-year November this year in Chicago. But now the ground and the sky are the same color--white-ish gray. Very hard to keep spirits high. So yell at the weather folk for me too, Khan!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #23

Ever since the year (1967) when I rode a motorcycle through the winter I've never been "quite right in the head" about winter and cold weather. I have a passionate hatred of it, and hope to eventually be able to move someplace where I'll never see snow again. Family issues are the only reason to remain up north.

In the winter I go outside to go to work and buy food, and that's about it.

So you're not the only one.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

My dear cousin is married to a guy who is this skinny tough guy of about 70. He road his motorcycle from California to northern Minnesota just before Thanksgiving. It was 7 above zero when he got here.

We had a big storm a week or so ago. He snowblowed his own driveway, he snowblowed the quarter mile driveway of someone who had run out of propane so the truck could get it, and he snow blowed the drive for my family farm. Took two days straight. Twenty five below zero.

**** me.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Freezy weather + light rain = ice. About 6 this morning we heard something go down - thought it was one of our garden sheds or maybe the neighbor's woodshed. Was wrong - it was their oak doing some self-pruning:

Glad that the whole tree didn't fall - our house is in the way - had a substantial amount of the tree's weight removed when we lived there but resisted all calls to take it down - it's about 4' through the base - figure it was here around Columbus time. Feel the same way still.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Oakfalldown.bmp (1.37 MB, 35 views)
Old 12-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
...it was their oak doing some self-pruning...
Looks like scraping the ice off the windshield will be the least of the worries there.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Great picture, Calmloki! I hope that's not your car!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Windshield is in good shape. maybe driveable - they have to get to San Diego on the 5th and usually drive. Oh - NOT my car! Tippytoed back from Salem last night and plugged it into the garage!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0795.jpg (917.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0796.jpg (951.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0798.jpg (925.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

BAH HUMBUG on Winter! Friday I spent in the house watching it snow and blow. Yesterday I spent moving the $#@! and on my knees between the tractor and the snow blower replacing the shear pin three times. Today it is blowing 40 mph and the forcast says up to 60 later. Snow is again up to the center hubs on the Buick and halfway to the doorknob of my workshop. The dog (St Bernard) only stayed out for three minutes.

Bruce
Old 12-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #30

broken wrist? there's gotta be a dirty joke here about being single with a broken wrist. but instead i'm just gonna say hope you heal soon.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Great photos, Calmloki. Gosh, I miss freezing rain! Did I ever tell ya about the time way back last century when I drove home to visit my parents on Christmas eve. Took the 4-lane freeway, stayed in the slow lane (where the cars turned the ice to slush) all the way. No one passed me in 70 miles.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife had a lot of SAD symptoms in the winter when we lived in Connecticut. We moved to southern Arizona and she feels much better throughout the year. Winter down here is a cloudy/rainy season, but being in the desert, it's still sun shine most days.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Windshield is in good shape. maybe driveable - they have to get to San Diego on the 5th and usually drive. Oh - NOT my car! Tippytoed back from Salem last night and plugged it into the garage!
God, these pics bring back memories. Think it was the winter of 1986. Wife and I went to a New Years Eve party and when it was over, went outside to find an inch of ice all over. I was too "stupid" to drive so she had to drive three miles home on the ice. She doesn't like to drive on dry pavement so out new year started out bad. Next day me son-in-law brought out two chainsaws and we spent the next two days cutting ourselves back to civilization. Nobody went to work for three days. Ice and freezing temps. This was in Kalamazoo, MI. Those were the good ol' days. Don't miss it a bit. Today, I'm in Tampa, FL and have to play golf tomorrow. Just saw the forecast of 83 degrees.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #34

I keep saying that I have no idea why anyone lives where there is snow. This is a free country and one can move where ever they want. Hopefully, once DH retires, we will move to where the sun shines year round. Unless, my DD and her DH and my beautiful grandbaby move back here and then I guess I would have an idea of why a sane person would live where it snows.

Khan, I am sorry about all the trouble that you are having. I hope that you do get one of the lamps and that it helps you with your SAD. I wonder if my DH has the SAD syndrome. He definitely does not like winter anymore.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:45 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I keep saying that I have no idea why anyone lives where there is snow. This is a free country and one can move where ever they want. Hopefully, once DH retires, we will move to where the sun shines year round. Unless, my DD and her DH and my beautiful grandbaby move back here and then I guess I would have an idea of why a sane person would live where it snows.

Khan, I am sorry about all the trouble that you are having. I hope that you do get one of the lamps and that it helps you with your SAD. I wonder if my DH has the SAD syndrome. He definitely does not like winter anymore.
Snowmobile drag racing, cross country or downhill - surely we have a few winterphiles who post here.

There is this 'character' at the doughnut shop(retired railroad) who loves to winter trap for fur.

heh heh heh - .
Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Most people don't move for any number of reasons. Family. Friends. Familiarity. Health Insurance.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #37

Quote:
I keep saying that I have no idea why anyone lives where there is snow. This is a free country and one can move where ever they want. .........why a sane person would live where it snows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Snowmobile drag racing, cross country or downhill - surely we have a few winterphiles who post here.
Heading into my 52nd year here in north-central IL, I still enjoy all 4 seasons...including the 1 that involves snow! I couldn't even imagine living somewhere where they don't experience fairly clearly defined seasons. Having the snow and cold in the Winter, helps me appreciate the hot & humid 'dog days' of August! As the hot & humid 'dog days' of August help me appreciate the snow & cold of January (and this Winter, December).

Then Spring brings the first glimpses of floral beauty, as the crocus begin to pop up through the light covering of residual snow, and the trees and shrubs begin to bud out and blossom.....all against the grayness of what was Winter!

After a nice and usually moderate Summer, filled with an over-abundance of floral & faunal displays, Fall approaches with crisp, clear nights, and the gorgeous hues & colors of autumn foliage!

And besides, in a much more basic approach, without the snow & cold of Winter, there'd be NO snowball fights, snow angels, snow forts and/or castles, tobogganing, sledding, or other similar things for kids...young & old...to enjoy!!! And nothing quite compares to getting smacked smacking somebody 'up-side' the head with a snowball...which around here has normally devolved into an all out neighborhood snowball war!!! Now THAT is what real living is all about!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Although we grow tired of the cold and snow when we have an especially brutal winter like this one, we can't imagine living anywhere other than the Pacific Northwest. Our kids and grandkids are here, our circle of friends established over 25+ years, and the fact that this part of the USA is so appealing to us for all but a few months out of the year. We can hop a jet and take a week or two break from the cold several times during the winter. For us, that makes it tolerable.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I keep saying that I have no idea why anyone lives where there is snow.
Because that's where the job was. But after ER.......no!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I can still remember bogying out of Boeing parking lots to Snowqualmie in time to get a fair amount of night sking before 10 pm? during the winter in the late 60's.

heh heh heh -