Join Early Retirement Today

Women's & teen's health references?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Women's & teen's health references?

(The following post meets with spouse approval.)

Spouse is 46 years old and our daughter is 15. They're both curious about updated references to guide us through the next 10-15 years. Me, too, because I'm motivated to maximize family harmony and my own lifespan with any resource that helps me tap-dance through their minefields.

First, we're looking for something like "What to Expect When You're Expecting 46 Years Old" or some similar menopause/aging-related title. We've read "It's My Ovaries, Stupid!" and all of Gail Sheehy's "Passages" but we're looking for an updated in-depth analysis of the former combined with the timeline of the latter, minus the reassurring feel-good fluff.

Second, we're looking for a good reference for older teens. I'm told that back in the 1970s the standard used to be "The Ms. Magazine Guide to Women's Health", which was sort of an encyclopedia of various growth/sex topics. That book is still a great idea today but it desperately needs an update. Ideally it'd be something that I could throw to her bedroom door and run away fast e-mail her a link to, reassured in the confidence that it'll answer all her questions without either of us actually having to discuss them-- let alone make eye contact.

Has anyone seen anything in print or on the Internet that compares to these types of titles?

Me, I'm all set. I've read "Dave Barry Turns 40" and "Dave Barry Turns 50", and I'm handing out copies of "Dave Barry's Guide to Guys"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
(The following post meets with spouse approval.)

Spouse is 46 years old and our daughter is 15. They're both curious about updated references to guide us through the next 10-15 years. Me, too, because I'm motivated to maximize family harmony and my own lifespan with any resource that helps me tap-dance through their minefields.

First, we're looking for something like "What to Expect When You're Expecting 46 Years Old" or some similar menopause/aging-related title. We've read "It's My Ovaries, Stupid!" and all of Gail Sheehy's "Passages" but we're looking for an updated in-depth analysis of the former combined with the timeline of the latter, minus the reassurring feel-good fluff.

Second, we're looking for a good reference for older teens. I'm told that back in the 1970s the standard used to be "The Ms. Magazine Guide to Women's Health", which was sort of an encyclopedia of various growth/sex topics. That book is still a great idea today but it desperately needs an update. Ideally it'd be something that I could throw to her bedroom door and run away fast e-mail her a link to, reassured in the confidence that it'll answer all her questions without either of us actually having to discuss them-- let alone make eye contact.

Has anyone seen anything in print or on the Internet that compares to these types of titles?

Me, I'm all set. I've read "Dave Barry Turns 40" and "Dave Barry Turns 50", and I'm handing out copies of "Dave Barry's Guide to Guys"...
From my sister:

About Us - Our Bodies Ourselves
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check the American Academy of Pediatrics website (aap.org) and bookstore

https://www.nfaap.org/netforum/eweb/...b-a1c6f7d1f211
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This may not be directly relevant to your question, Nords, but it may be indirectly relevant. Teenage girls now can get the HPV immunization. I think it's a series of three shots. From my personal family experience, I would recommend that every girl get this immunization. The HP virus is epidemic and can lead directly to cervical cancer in very young women. Here's a recent article about it.
HPV Vaccine: Why so Unpopular? | Newsweek Health | Newsweek.com
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys, I'll keep passing them on.

OBOS is up to its eighth edition... yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
This may not be directly relevant to your question, Nords, but it may be indirectly relevant.
Yep, she took care of that last year. What would be more relevant, however, is a "how to detect when your alleged 'friends' are taking advantage of your good will" vaccine...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 04-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I went to Amazon looking for the name of a menopause book I used to have . I could not find it but there are 11,249 menopause books . I think it depends what you are looking for a general book on menopause ( is it normal to cry and have headaches and sweat like a pig ) or natural hormone therapy ( soy , soy ,and more soy ) or taking prescription hormones . Lots of books to choose from maybe just check a few from the library and go from there .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Not specifically what you asked for, but for something on the lighter side, try:
Amazon.com: You're Only Old Once! A Book for Obsolete Children: Dr. Seuss: Books

A fun read for all of us who are aging.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I was watching Charlie Rose last night and the last segment was about a new website calledA New Way for Women to Talk Culture, Politics & Gossip | WOWOWOW. A bunch of famous senior woman Leslie Stahl, Liz Smith, Peggy Noonan a several other started a website for woman over 40. Right now they are using their connection to generate Buzz. They mentioned menopause as specific topic.

Based on my 5 minute tour, it doesn't suck too bad.. but what do I know. Not much help for the teen girl, but aren't there zillion social networking/education site for teen girls.

BTW, There are now more woman on the net than men

The voting booth, board room, locker room, presidency and now the net. My god is nothing safe!!
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a third vote for "Our Bodies, Ourselves." That book rocks.

No help here with the menopause question... sorry 'bout that.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I was watching Charlie Rose last night and the last segment was about a new website calledA New Way for Women to Talk Culture, Politics & Gossip | WOWOWOW. A bunch of famous senior woman Leslie Stahl, Liz Smith, Peggy Noonan a several other started a website for woman over 40. Right now they are using their connection to generate Buzz. They mentioned menopause as specific topic.
Excellent. This should be interesting!

My FIL used to work audio for the Charlie Rose show occasionally. The crew would mercilessly tease the guy with comments like "Hey, Charlie, we really appreciated hanging out on your yacht last weekend, thanks!!" The joke was that he had so many toys yet was working such long hours that he never knew who was using them, let alone used them himself. FIL ER'd from CBS in 1994 and Charlie... well, Charlie's still at it. He's found his avocation and he's probably even taped his obituary.

Quote:
BTW, There are now more woman on the net than men
As far as we know. At least half of them are 14-year-olds from Missoula.

Quote:
The voting booth, board room, locker room, presidency and now the net. My god is nothing safe!!
Well, let's do a gender poll at lunch tomorrow. I suspect there are one or two bastions left... although they would definitely benefit from less testosterone poisoning.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
gone traveling

Our Bodies ourselves. Excellent, she will love it.

Menopause.. Just be understanding, listen to her feelings, keep a fan running even when you are freezing. Its difficult, wife went through surgical menopause, everything was removed three years ago, continue to love on her.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Nords I am sure you will be excited to hear that Menopause: the musical will soon be playing at the Hawaii theater. You're on your own for this one.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:20 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few years ago, my mom gave me a book by Christiane Northrup: Women's Bodies; Women's Wisdom.
Have not looked at it lately, but it definitely has more on menopause than OBO. Also, other uterine issues like fibroids and endometriosis. More on nutrition. Has a somewhat new-agey overtone and uses personal stories/case studies as illustrations.
She has a web site here:
Christiane Northrup, M.D. Web Site
where you can check out a book she has just on menopause.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Our Bodies ourselves. Excellent, she will love it.

Menopause.. Just be understanding, listen to her feelings, keep a fan running even when you are freezing. Its difficult, wife went through surgical menopause, everything was removed three years ago, continue to love on her.
And sweep the house for all sharp, pointed objects...

Nords: puberty AND menopause? I say spend a lot of time surfing.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And sweep the house for all sharp, pointed objects...

Nords: puberty AND menopause? I say spend a lot of time surfing.
At least he's in a place where the climate in conducive to spending much time outdoors (and the in-laws are gone).

My younger sister was born when my mother was 34; resulting in in Mom at 50 with Sis at 16. They all managed to survive (as did the marriage). At one point Dad (45) left for 2 weeks (don't forget his mid-life crisis). Sis spent 2 summers away from home, working at summer camp.

When Sis was still hanging around the house at 19 after graduation (and not interested in college), Dad invited the local Navy recruiter to lunch. She made a career of Navy and Reserves.

In a triumph of hope over experience, she married (twice) and had children (with the second one).

Families can go nuclear.