Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

The Dr. that did my colonoscopy specialized in doing colonoscopies and also the gastric work where they run a scope down your esophagus and look for reflux issues, ulcers, and whatever other stomach problems.

While I was relaxing on the table, all hooked up and ready to go, the nurses and anesthesiologist were chatting about getting ready for Christmas. Boring stuff.

I asked them if they used the same camera for going up the back door that they use when they go down the front door.

The next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Hospital bill: $1232 / Plan paid: $827 / My portion: $16 (for supplies)
Doctor's bill: $750 / Plan paid:$283 / My portion: $0 (no wonder he didn't talk to me)
PreOffice visit $90 / Plan paid: $0 / My portion: $70 (did not see a doctor, had to go and buy my prep stuff afterward)
Where's the anesthesiologist's bill?

Who would have thought we'd spend this much time on this topic?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Who would have thought we'd spend this much time on this topic?
I think the thread title grabs your... attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Fireball View Post
The Dr. that did my colonoscopy specialized in doing colonoscopies and also the gastric work where they run a scope down your esophagus and look for reflux issues, ulcers, and whatever other stomach problems.
My father learned the "endoscopy" word last month.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #224
Confused about dryer sheets

I recently had a colonoscopy at Tripler and would share my experience with the "sedation" Most exams are done with "conscious sedation" and that means a drug to make you forget (Versed) and a painkiller (usually fentanyl). Most do sort of well with this "cocktail", most are awake but think that they were asleep. Unfortunately about 10% have an absolutely horrible experience (Versed doesn't help with pain and the amnesia can be very creepy and long-lasting). The best way to do colonoscopy sedation is with an anesthesia provider and propofol. You are instantly deeply sedated, feel nothng, awake instantly with no hangover. Unfortunately most places insist on the crummy Versed/fentanyl combo because of cost; unless you have a medical history of being unable to tolerate this combo. I told them that I had "hives and difficulty breathing" with Versed during an overseas dental procedure and immediately for real anesthesia for my colonoscopy...propofol. Didn't cost me a dime. I have had 3 colonoscopies and prefer them unsedated, but the Tripler GI doc gently insisted that I let anesthesia give me propofol..........it was o.k. but distressing to watch the other patients babble after getting Versed....what a terrible drug. My wife is a physician and said that it's a "patient control drug" and thta many medical professionals would never sonsent to receive it. So, if you may have an allergy to Versed you might mention this and insist on propofol. My neighbor (a nurse) still has memory loss after her colonoscopy with Versed and that was months ago. check out askapatient.com for versed horror stories. Do your homework before agreeing to the standard sedation for colonoscopy..it's a disaster for fully 10% of patients (10% us huge).
Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #225
Administrator

I have to admit that my experience with Propofol for my colonoscopy was ideal. I was out instantly, had wonderful dreams while on it, and awakened feeling refreshed and happy that it was all over.

I never asked beforehand what anesthesia I would be getting. Afterwards I thought it was a little scary that I had had propofol because of the Michael Jackson connection, although I did have an anesthetist looking after me which is more than he had.

I have never had Versed but it sounds less than ideal.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #226
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentsurfer View Post
I have had 3 colonoscopies and prefer them unsedated, but the Tripler GI doc gently insisted that I let anesthesia give me propofol.
I had a horrible reaction to Versed myself (I'll never do it again) and am reluctant to be put completely under, so I'm curious to hear about your unsedated experiences. How did those go?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

happy dance

Palomalou is doing the happy dance, because she had her annual "exam" and all was clear. 16 years cancer-free!
But reading the above posts, I wonder if I had a reaction to the Versed yesterday/today, although I never had one before. Went back to hotel after, napped 4 hours, got up for 3, went to bed at 11, got up at 8 feeling WRETCHED! I had the shakes (which I attributed to not having eaten, since I was so groggy), dry heaves, and a continuation of the diarrhea. Now I feel a bit better but so sleepy--kind of feels like a sleep emergency.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have to admit that my experience with Propofol for my colonoscopy was ideal.
Same here. It was the first time I didn't wake up from anesthesia upchucking my brains out.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #229
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Where's the anesthesiologist's bill?
I thought it was under the "hospital" part? That didn't sound right. I hope I don't have another sneaky bill coming.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #230

Quote:
I hope I don't have another sneaky bill coming.
It's possible. The anaesthesiologist for my colonoscopies bills separately from the hospital.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #231
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I thought it was under the "hospital" part? That didn't sound right. I hope I don't have another sneaky bill coming.
You'l get the anesthesiologist bill for professional services if he/she was there (as opposed to the gastroenterologist overseeing conscious sedation).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #232

Heh.... they always get you in the end.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #233

Quote:
Heh.... they always get you in the end.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Oboy, it's about that time again. And ironically, March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. What better way to mark the occasion?

Let me share some details so that those of you with recent experience can let me know if I'm missing anything.

I posted on this thread (nearly five years ago) about my last colonoscopy:
"World-class colonoscopy"

Exam #2 raises the stakes a little. Last August I had an emergency appendectomy (Lifestyles In Financial Independence: Your Mortality - Military Guide) and the biopsy found a carcinoid tumor on my appendix. I thought cancer was a binary occurrence (you either have it or you don't) but apparently there's a gray area of "not really cancerous... not just yet". Coupled with my Dad's history of intestinal polyps (and prostate cancer), and the polyp found on my last colonoscopy, I'm sure that this upcoming inspection is going to find a few interesting material deficiencies.

To my surprise, this time I might actually get a world-class colonoscopy. Instead of being referred to the military's Tripler Army Medical Center, I'm going to a tiny little boutique clinic (Pacific Endoscopy, Endoscopy Center Pearl City, HI - Pacific Endoscopy Center) much closer to home. I'm supposed to sign up on their website and upload important documents like medical directives. They're even having a special this month: a free prostate exam with every colonoscopy.

I asked if they have a waiting room for my spouse, and they said "Sure-- Wal-Mart and a Starbucks!" Yeah, definitely a step up from Tripler.

The prep has apparently improved, too. The big event happens Thursday afternoon, and Tuesday night will be my last meal. There are the usual warnings about abstaining from nuts, fruits, and veggies. Wednesday will be a fasting day, although I can drink as much clear liquid as I want. (My preferred approved beverages are water, green tea, and coffee.) This time I'll be chugging MoviPrep, one quart at 5 PM Wednesday and the next quart at 5 AM Thursday.

Ideally I'll have a great prep and they'll be able to see clearly now.

Their anesthetic of choice is propofol, with a Versed chaser available upon request. I'm told that I respond really well to propofol (not that I can remember anything, which seems to be the whole point) so I'll try to pass up the Versed.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #235

Best of luck to you that they don't find anything interesting.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #236

Wish the poker a clear view and the pokee happy dreams. And a good outcome.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #237

Have a great colonoscopy, Nords!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #238

Can they do the prostate part while you are still not remembering?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #239
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Up yours, Doug. Sincerely.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #240
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Their anesthetic of choice is propofol, with a Versed chaser available upon request. I'm told that I respond really well to propofol (not that I can remember anything, which seems to be the whole point) so I'll try to pass up the Versed.
I had a terrible reaction to this combo (as I mentioned on this thread a few years ago), so I opted for an unsedated colonoscopy my next time. It was only somewhat uncomfortable; the worst part was when they went around the corners. And once it was over, there was nothing to recover from. This is how I'm going to roll -- so to speak -- from now on.

Focus is offline   Reply With Quote