Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Each time a different prep, and I did not have problem swallowing any of them down.
Did you ever use the gallon of Golytely? It tastes like sweat. A gallon of sweat. I have a tough stomach - but it was so nasty tasting, and in such a huge volume, it was very hard to get through.

I've done it twice. I'll do the prep linked previously in this thread next time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My next one comes up Wednesday. I will be taking the prep advice on this thread.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #283
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've never brought this up in a discussion on the subject because I don't want to scare anyone away from a valuable test, but a HS classmate of mine died from a perforated colon during a colonoscopy. Your Doc in a Big Hurry sounds like just the kind of guy who would be capable of that. I'm glad you told the referring doc why you won't go to that guy again.

This is why my polyps can wait until I come back from my vacation. In short, let me enjoy myself.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Did you ever use the gallon of Golytely? It tastes like sweat. A gallon of sweat. I have a tough stomach - but it was so nasty tasting, and in such a huge volume, it was very hard to get through.

I've done it twice. I'll do the prep linked previously in this thread next time.
No, I have not had that pleasure.

I cannot remember what I had for the 1st colonoscopy. The 2nd time, I had MoviPrep. The 3rd and last time, the instruction was just for Miralax and Gatorade, plus another laxative which I forget.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #285
Recycles dryer sheets

I just successfully completed mine. I used Supraprep, which was actually not as horrible as I was anticipating. I only had about a quarter of the second dose, but I still got an "Excellent prep" on my report. Propofol was great - easy out, easy wake-up! And I'm on the 10 year plan!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #286

For me using a straw made all the difference when drinking down all that polyethylene glycol (PEG).

For me at least, I was able to use the straw to bypass my tongue so I barely tasted it.

Use a big (wide) straw so that you can move lots of liquid quickly. And make sure it goes all the way back in your mouth - you have to avoid your tastebuds.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #287
Moderator Emeritus

One more colonoscopy coda:

The bill from the endoscopy center was $2667.

The "allowed amount" was $382.

My Tricare copay portion of that $382 was $12.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #288
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

this was for the entire procedure?
They must have lost money on you.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #289
Administrator

Quote:

Outstanding!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #290

Quote:

So the negotiated rate is 14% of the "full" price.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #291
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

For comparison, my recent colonoscopy:

Amount Submitted: $5,700
Amount Allowed: $2,031
Total Paid By Plan: $1,455 (BCBS)

I ended up paying $580.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #292
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought this procedure was considered preventative and the cost to patient was nil.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #293

Another point of comparison, last December :

Billed: $4800
Insurance paid: $2775
I paid: $950

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #294
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I thought this procedure was considered preventative and the cost to patient was nil.
I think that this is true if they don't find anything - the minute they find a polyp, it becomes diagnostic and you have to pay. Doesn't seem fair, somehow!
Old 04-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #295
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannjen View Post
I think that this is true if they don't find anything - the minute they find a polyp, it becomes diagnostic and you have to pay. Doesn't seem fair, somehow!

Some have to get it done more often for other reasons and have to pay...

As far as changing it for the patient to pay everything, I think that I read where the gvmt was saying that is not how it is supposed to be done...

When I had mine, I told the billing person that if THEY billed it wrong I was not paying... IOW, they are supposed to bill the procedure as preventative and if they remove a polyp that is billed separately...
Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
When I had mine, I told the billing person that if THEY billed it wrong I was not paying... IOW, they are supposed to bill the procedure as preventative and if they remove a polyp that is billed separately...
I believe that would be correct if you had no history of problems which would require diagnostic colonoscopy, even if they found something *that* one would be preventative (in other words, if you went into it strictly for preventative reasons). But if they did find something and you needed more frequent ones than preventative guidelines call for, *those* would not necessarily be covered first-dollar by an ACA-compliant policy, and probably would be charged as a diagnostic one.

Speaking of which, now that I turned 50 last fall, I need to stop putting this off.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #297
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I believe that would be correct if you had no history of problems which would require diagnostic colonoscopy, even if they found something *that* one would be preventative (in other words, if you went into it strictly for preventative reasons). But if they did find something and you needed more frequent ones than preventative guidelines call for, *those* would not necessarily be covered first-dollar by an ACA-compliant policy, and probably would be charged as a diagnostic one.

Speaking of which, now that I turned 50 last fall, I need to stop putting this off.

Correct, correct, correct.... this was my first one and was clearly preventative....

And yes, if you need to have follow ups before the recommended 10 year period it is on you... since my deductible is over $6K, it would all be on me and I would look for prices...
Old 04-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #298
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, I have had 2 colonoscopy procedures. Both times they found polyps. I am on the every 5 yrs plan. Just wondering if the 3rd one will be free as the first 2 were free of charge. I have bcbs thru obamacare.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Well, I have had 2 colonoscopy procedures. Both times they found polyps. I am on the every 5 yrs plan. Just wondering if the 3rd one will be free as the first 2 were free of charge. I have bcbs thru obamacare.
They may have continued to code them as preventative and not diagnostic. You got lucky.

And, BTW, I know I'm being picky, but they weren't "free". They were 100% covered by your insurance policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

One thing they forget to tell you (but which DH confirmed with his doctor) is that once you're running clear, you can stop drinking whatever crap they prescribed. It's done its work and continuing to drink it would just produce more of the same result.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
My next one comes up Wednesday. I will be taking the prep advice on this thread.
By the way, everything went well. I prepped for three days. I took the cheaper prep with the gallon jug (do not remember the name now). It smelled like latex gloves but with the flavoring that came with it, it did not taste as bad as it smelled.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote