Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
This thread is useless without pictures.

....and no I haven't had one yet. My doctor can't run as fast as I can...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

DW has had 2 - both no problem. I had one with no problem. Prep is 12-24 hours before procedure. Then the medical crew drugs you to the point where you don't feel a thing.

I had mine as part of a recon mission that confirmed a ruptured appendix. For those wanting pics, I have no pics of the colonoscopy, but here's some of my appendix being removed.

Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

"World-class colonoscopy" ?

Is the plunge protection team/member of congress/fill-in-the-blank on duty again?

-CC
Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh, and I felt great after the colonoscopy, too. I was more hungry than anything. After this last one, I had my friend drive me straight home...she wanted to go out for lunch but I, uh, felt gaseous, and insisted that we beat feet home. I made her leave, too. She wanted to hang around and make sure I was alright but I, uh, wanted my privacy. I made a couple of soft boiled eggs and some toast and luxuriated on the sofa and watched trash TV all afternoon out of one eye and slept a very sound sleep. I don't think it matters about time of the year. I went to board certified gastroenterologists both times.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Book way in advance so you can get an early slot .
Stay near a bathroom during the prep
Have someone drive you
Eat light food after the procedure . I was famished because I was the last patient of the day and got delayed so I immediately ate a greasy cheese steak ( bad move )
It really is a piece of cake after the prep
You will permanently hate whatever you mixed your prep with so get rid of it after the procedure or you will have flash backs every time you open the refrigerator .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Book way in advance so you can get an early slot .
Stay near a bathroom during the prep
Have someone drive you
Eat light food after the procedure . I was famished because I was the last patient of the day and got delayed so I immediately ate a greasy cheese steak ( bad move )
It really is a piece of cake after the prep
You will permanently hate whatever you mixed your prep with so get rid of it after the procedure or you will have flash backs every time you open the refrigerator .
Agreed! I was allowed banana popsicles by my doc the day before, and I ate one after each glass of the elixir. I would be hard pressed to force down a banana popsicle now two years after the fact. My prep was cherry flavored (bleh). This last doc required that I also give myself two Fleet's enemas in the morning the day of the procedure...just for good measure. I really had to study those diagrams and instructions never having done something like this before.
The grocery store where I bought the Fleet's has a long memory, too. My reward's card spits out product coupons to this day for all sorts of plumbing problems related to both ends of the digestive tract.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #27

I've had my share and it is really nothing. You want to have it in the AM as you won't be eating from the day before. The prep is the only bad part, just stay close to the bathroom. The anesthesia is the best part, be sure to ask for some to take home.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Nords,

Advice from a veteran of this procedure. Apply Vasoline liberally to the "exit location" prior to and repeatedly during the prep - greatly eases irritation.
One of best tips offered. And reapply as often as discomfort indicates. It is basically acid and burning will accompany.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Nord,

I have had three and will schedule another this November. It is a piece of cake... after all it is a procedure unique to men and thus torture is avoided as much as possible -- not like a mammogram, for instance.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #30

You guys are too funny - well, until the photo came up. My colonoscopies were much cuter than that; i just know it.

It's one of those things that wasn't nearly so bad as feared- once it's behind you. (no pun intended) My dad is a colon cancer survivor so my brother and I were told to have them often. Had one last year and the dr told me he didn't need to see me back for 10 years....and there was a polyp, but he said that kind only turns cancerous about 10% of the time.

But, truly, it's not that bad. Just get it over with so you can pat yourself on the back for taking such good care of yourself.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #31

This weekend is Endofest 2010 in Miami.

ASGE: ASGE Endofest Hotel
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I worked as a nurse's aide one summer many decades ago. One of my jobs was to give enemas ("til clear") to every male patient scheduled for a colonoscopy or barium enema.

I was pleasantly surprised when I scheduled my first colonoscopy that you can clean yourself out the day before from the other end.

You asked for "world class". Here you go:
Milk and Molasses Enema Recipe
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Nords, I think it's really wonderful that you have all these great friends who are willing to lie to you and help you with the anxiety leading up to the worst experience you will ever have. My prayers are with you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slapshit.jpg (22.2 KB, 279 views)
Old 10-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #34

Had two, but agree with above. However I got to use it as a good punch line.

I was at Commencement and an irritating associate dean said "Hey Prof, you're now Emeritus, why are you hanging around?" I answered I just had a colonoscopy and it made me homesick for the school

Almost made it worth it.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Nords , I 've always wanted to see Hawaii and I have lots of experience with enemas .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuckoo16.jpg (18.9 KB, 270 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Nord,

I have had three and will schedule another this November. It is a piece of cake... after all it is a procedure unique to men and thus torture is avoided as much as possible -- not like a mammogram, for instance.
We are talking about colonoscopy right? I know lots of women who think men are walking colons but ladies have them too
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
We are talking about colonoscopy right? I know lots of women who think men are walking colons but ladies have them too
Ooops.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Nord,

Really?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought there was a pill of some sort you could take for the prep... rather than drinking large quantities of a nasty liquid. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure.. just found this from a google search:

Quote:
I had my first colonoscopy a few weeks ago I and I know how awful the Golighty is. It can really make you sick and this is one reason I kept putting it off. I should mention that I am 61 and should have this done years ago. I came across a prep called Lo So Prep and it was NOT unpleasant at all. it is purchased directy from the company and only cost around $9.00. The reason the doctors do not know about it or recommend it is because they refuse to think that there might be a better prep that does not cause all the side affects. Also since the prep is mailed directly to you the pharmacy cannot make any money off of it. You can find lots of information on the product by going to google and putting in "Lo-So Prep" if you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me at : The compnay that makes Lo So Prep was recently sold and I am not sure if you can still get it sent directly to you. You can reach at 1-800-544-4624. The company was called EZEM and that is how they will answer.
http://www.endonurse.com/articles/20...-patients.aspx

E-Z-EM Inc.

E-Z-EM Inc., offers Lo-So Prep and NutraPrep. Lo-So Prep contains less than 35 mg of sodium, which makes it appropriate for patients on a sodium-restricted diet. It is low in volume -- only eight ounces of laxative must be ingested -- compared to other preps requiring consumption of several quarts of liquid. Lo-So Prep, with its citrus flavor and natural effervescence, can be dispensed from the office. Each Lo-So Prep kit contains three laxative agents: magnesium citrate effervescent granules (which yield a solution equivalent to 4.4 grams of magnesium oxide), four 5-mg Bisacodyl tablets USP, and one 10-mg Bisacodyl suppository USP.

The NutraPrep System, used in conjunction with Lo-So Prep, provides an alternative to the clear-liquid diet typically associated with bowel preparation and fulfills total nutritional requirements. The low-residue food is labeled as breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack, and is a simple program to help ensure compliance.