Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to worry a lot, but then it turned out to be Depression. So now I try not to worry so that I don't kick off another round of Depression. Now that I have a reasonable AA that I can sleep well at night, I don't worry at all.

My mother worried all the time, and it didn't do her any good. She passed away with plenty of money. Now my wife worries even though I try to show her we have plenty to get by with.

Worry. It's one of the worst traits in humans. . .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #22
Administrator

I take my cue from the USMC -- improvise, adapt and overcome. It has worked well for the first 58 years of my life. I expect it will suffice for the remainder. No need to worry.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think how much you worry is part of your personality. I tend to be a worrier (and, consequently, a planner). One of my sisters doesn't worry at all = which causes me to worry.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how much I'll worry when I'm dead?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
DW has severe anxiety. She worries enough for ten people. I try to minimize it, but I'm woefully lacking the skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I don't worry about anything as DW handles that for me.
+1
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morricol61 View Post
Keeping insurance policies up to date, hard copies filed and electronic copies saved to my phone.
Putting household bills onto a spike file in date order and paying by the due date.
Our Wills are updated from time to time and the kids have copies and know where to find the originals.
Maintaining a healthy diet, walking daily.
I don't smoke and only drink alcohol occasionally.
All our life is now electronic so I handle it all. Once in a while things go awry but I don't worry about it. It gets sorted out. I schedule all payments ahead of time and I set a tickler to ensure that the accounts have money to cover them all. Sometimes I have too much cash to cover to reduce the concerns/activities.

I worry about the health of my loved ones. Son had testicular cancer. Good friend has esophageal cancer. But I keep it in check.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I worried about a big test in college, some work stuff, family health and the 2008/2009 market crash. Overall I'm not a big worry, certainly not normal daily stuff.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #28

The essence of sorrow is to desire that which cannot come to pass...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

For me, some worry is healthy, if it is something I know I can influence. Worrying about how I would do in college and if I would graduate kept me motivated to do the best I could in my classes. Worrying about whether I would contribute enough to keep my job at Megacorp - as I never took it for granted - kept me motivated to do the best I could at work. Worrying about having enough money if I was laid off kept me motivated to be a good steward with finances. Ultimately when a worry came up, my thought was "is there anything I can do to address it?" I am very fortunate in how my parents that me to not let worries paralyze me.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Just a comment on worry, humans are know for misjudging risk How Big a Threat Do Terrorists Pose to Americans? - The Big Picture In the Uk the recent fire has apparently killed twice as many folks as the 3 terrorist attacks combined. Note the numbers that americans have a 1 in 98 lifetime chance of suicide, but only a 1 in 249 chance of murder. Since telling bad news is the way the media gets eyes on the adds which is why the media exist, we only hear the bad news.
This is the "If it bleeds,it leads" news of the day. We recently had a fatal plan crash here and it was ll over the news. Only the pilot died, unfortunately. But the number of daily traffic deaths in the greater LA area get hardly a mention.
The one sort of amusing thing that came out of the crash was a news reader at the site saying they had not found the black box or the registration numbers.
It was an old taildragger, that would never had a flight recorder, and worse, the registration numbers were painted on both sides of the fuselage a foot high!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I was worried this thread might be provoking in some way, and am relieved to see there is nothing new to worry about.

I worry about a bunch of stuff, - what if x happens, will "Y" be mad at me for "z" , etc.
Look on the bright side all my worries will be gone one day.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I do most of the worrying and DW just lets stuff happen. If not for me, no planning would have been done and we would probably not have FIREd. Still, I envy her calm and collected demeanor. I guess each family needs one worrier - and I'm it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote