Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
That's pretty scary. I'm glad that right now I don't have to pay too much attention to the labels because one of my favorite quick meals is canned soup (usually chicken noodle) with a lot of stir-fried vegetables thrown in.
Chicken soup of any kind is incredibly easy to make and you can make huge amounts and freeze it in single servings.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is a ton of bad science in the field of human nutrition.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

The bottom line on food processed by corporations, they are interested in their bottom line, it is up to each of us to decide what to consume.

Salt, Sugar, Fat, etc. the dose makes the poison, too much water can kill you.

A cashew is real food, nom nom ah, oh wait cooked in man made cottonseed oil, AKA "vegetable" oil. Never mind the salt bath so you will desire their brand. How about that nice piece of "farm raised" Salmon that your favorite food corporation genetically modified. The farm is a pen in the ocean, just like Ebola they have it under control, no worries.

I try to choose well, not easy reading 0.5 font on labels , almost need a special pair of +20x reading glasses. The nutritional field is now starting to be practiced as a real science, processed food for profit could become the the new Tobacco. I have wondered how much processed foods impact our rising medical cost.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #44

I have a family history of low blood pressure, and I inherited this, so salt isn't an issue for me. At least I have one food item I don't have to worry about.

I was a sugar fiend, but gave it up in May. No more desserts (I was having 2 or 3 a day), and I'm eating a lot "cleaner". I've also noticed my complexion looks much, much better, which I've heard other people also state. I'm trying to give up processed, white flour items, and as a result of all these changes, I've lost 12 lbs., very slowly, with little pain. I still have an occasional splurge, like a piece of birthday cake, but I'm finding I don't miss it. Never, ever believed I'd make that statement.

I do agree, everything in moderation. When you deprive yourself of something, it becomes the forbidden fruit.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Short article that suggests that salt may not be as bad as sugar.
[/url]

What's next?
Just wait for the next study..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ERqegOs.jpg (44.1 KB, 4 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I read an article today comparing Special K granola to Fruit Loops.

Quote:
spoon for spoon Froot Loops contains 20% less sugar and roughly 1/3 the calories as Special K granola.
But the granola is low-fat and high fiber.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I read an article today comparing Special K granola to Fruit Loops.

But the granola is low-fat and high fiber.
FWIW worth here is my current breakfast cereal favorite which has lots of fiber:

Raisin Bran cereal - the kind that does not have much or any sugar added
With toppings: seasonal fruit like raspberries or black berries, dried cranberries (Whole Foods purchase), mixed nuts.

I use nonfat milk on this stuff.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Dang it, I wish the media and others would learn to understand the difference between salt and sodium. Eating sodium will kill you in short order. Salt does contain some sodium, true.

My weakest subject ever is chemistry. Yet I do remember the difference between salt and sodium. Especially some vivid demostration by chemistry teachers arround seventh grade.

By the way, what do hospitals feed through the IV to severly dehydrated people? Salt solution!

"
In reality, you can eat just about as much salt as you can stand – without harm. (Unless you have damaged kidneys and/or very high blood pressure)
How can I possibly state this? Well, a very wise Swedish professor pointed something out to me a few years ago. If a patient is very ill in hospital and cannot eat, or drink, they will have a drip put up to replace fluids. This very often contains 0.9% NaCl. Or nine grams of salt per litre. Quite often the patient will have two litres of this replacement fluid a day – which is (as you may have figured) 18 grams of salt."

I found a fellow whou can explain it the difference in salt and sodium quiet well:

"
Consuming two grams sodium would likely cause you to explode, splattering sodium hydroxide over the walls. Along with various organs and other body parts.
So why do people talk about sodium consumption? I have never really worked this one out. But it does make things rather confusing. The latest guidelines suggest we should consume less than 2300mg of sodium a day, even as low as 1500mg. Go on, try it. Any idea how much salt (NaCl) that would be? Any idea how much salt you consume every day? No, thought not.
Yes, we have been given guidelines that are totally meaningless, and impossible to follow. In fact 2300mg of sodium is roughly 6000mg of salt (NaCl). So why are we not advise to eat six grams of salt a day? I have no idea. Perhaps someone can tell me. What is this sodium nonsense? [Not that anyone has any idea what six grams of salt even looks like poured out of a salt shaker – I know, I have tried this several times.].... "

Salt is good for you | Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

Food for thought.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #49

This, from the Arizona Dept. of Health Services - Eat Less Salt - The Difference Between Salt and Sodium

It kind of contradicts the last post on salt vs. sodium. I'm definitely no chemist, so I may be mis-interpreting things. I always thought there was a very close relationship between salt & sodium.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Table salt is made of equal proportions of sodium and chlorine, both of which are very poisonous. I wish a chemist would explain why we are supposed to worry about the sodium, but not the chlorine.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
This, from the Arizona Dept. of Health Services - Eat Less Salt - The Difference Between Salt and Sodium

It kind of contradicts the last post on salt vs. sodium. I'm definitely no chemist, so I may be mis-interpreting things. I always thought there was a very close relationship between salt & sodium.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Regarding salt & sugar, I just aim for the "middle of the road". If I had a real blood pressure problem I'd be inclined to keep the salt to a minimum ... just in case.

But I do like my salt and sodium and take great pleasure in indulging moderately.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post

Salt is one source of sodium, but not the only source. In baked goods in particular, you'll find baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and baking powder (30% sodium bicarbonate, 5-12% monocalcium phosphate, and 21-26% sodium aluminium sulfate.)

Both are great sources of sodium. That Panera Wild Blueberry scone? 900 mg of sodium, over half the recommended sodium intake for folks over 50. (Most scone mixes rely on baking powder to rise.)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #53

I thought it was good to be considered an old salt.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Table salt is made of equal proportions of sodium and chlorine, both of which are very poisonous. I wish a chemist would explain why we are supposed to worry about the sodium, but not the chlorine.

Amethyst

Table salt is sodium ion and chloride ion. Both are found in our body. Chloride ion is not chlorine gas, which is poisonous, because when chlorine gas is combined with water (as in our lungs), it reacts and turns into hypochlorite and hydrochloride acid. The acid damages lung tissue.

Sodium as an element is not readily found in nature, and when combined with water, produced sodium hydroxide and hydrogen gas and heat (in other words, it explodes).

However, these elements exist in ionized form and are crucial for cell functioning, along with potassium, calcium, magnesium and others ions.

We need a certain amount of sodium, potassium, and chloride ions as well as a pH of 7.4 in for our body and its cells to function . The 0.9% saline solution described earlier is actually too much sodium. It is helpful in shock and dehydration as it can quickly improve blood pressure. But if your problem is congestive heart failure or high blood pressure, it can make the problem worse.

Our average sodium intake per day is over 3 grams. (Too much!) It should be less than two grams. Table salt is sodium chloride. Part of its mass comes from the sodium, part from the chloride. The atomic wt of chloride is the heavier of the two ions, therefore 6 gm of table salt is about 2.3 gm of sodium ion and about 3.6 gm of chloride ion.

Hope you don't mind the mini lecture. I'm a biochemistry major and physician.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Not only do I not "mind" it, I appreciate it very much. I enjoy learning about scientific topics - especially those with immediate practical value.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Not only do I not "mind" it, I appreciate it very much. I enjoy learning about scientific topics - especially those with immediate practical value.

Amethyst
Same here, it's good to hear this stuff explained credibly.

My doc told me I have low sodium (I assume he meant low sodium chloride) but didn't seem concerned or suggest I do anything about it so I don't restrain myself with the salt shaker.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Salt vs Sugar? Lets get ready to Rumble!

I bought into the low salt thing about 20 years ago and avoided salt. Developed a variety of aches and pains that were resolved when I added salt to my diet. Happened several times. Salt is an important nutrient so I consume it in moderation. As I eat few processed foods, I freely salt my steaks, corn and cantaloupe.

Sugar is a broad term that needs to be broken down.
Lactose is a sugar from milk and is problematic to those allergic to it (like me). I avoid milk and normal ice cream, but freely consume cheese and yogurt.

Glucose is a sugar that is processed in most (if not all) cells of the body. Its a fine nutrient until you consume too much. (Insulin spike, obesity and all that)

Fructose is the bad player for the human body. It is damn near a poison... which is why it is only processed in the liver (just like alcohol). The by products of Fructose consumption are triglycerides and SDLDL... which are major contributors to heart disease.

My diet is of the high fat- low carb variety. When I am active, I don't hesitate to eat corn and potatoes (glucose based starches). I try to keep my daily fructose consumption below 10gms daily.

So, Salt vs Sugar is a tie... Fructose gets the TKO for the win!
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post

Our average sodium intake per day is over 3 grams. (Too much!) It should be less than two grams. Table salt is sodium chloride. Part of its mass comes from the sodium, part from the chloride. The atomic wt of chloride is the heavier of the two ions, therefore 6 gm of table salt is about 2.3 gm of sodium ion and about 3.6 gm of chloride ion.

Thanks for the explanation.

I found a converter to figure rough volume for table salt. According to that 6 grams is roughly equal to .35 Tablespoon or 1.05 teaspoon.

That is a picture I can understand.

THe curious question is why when people are cautioned on too much sodium, the story is not presented in total salt volume? Most folks are clueless about sodium and chloride ratios in tablesalt. I know I was until read the previously quoted discussion and EastWestGal's description.

Table salt amounts converter | Convert to units and culinary measures.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
Fructose is the bad player for the human body.
I'm sure you know this, but many don't. The evil and ubiquitous High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is very similar to common table sugar.

Table sugar (sucrose) is 50% glucose and 50% fructose.

HFCS has some water in it, but is mainly a combination of the same two sugars. The most common formulation is HFCS 55, which is 55% fructose and 42% glucose. The other most common type is HFCS 42, which is 42% fructose and 53% glucose.

So there really isn't a big different between sugar and HFCS.

I'm another fan of the LCHF diet, so I would agree that large amounts of any sugar are more harmful than most common nutrients, but it's helpful to know what you're actually eating.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Salt is needed by your body to produce stomach acid and if the acid is not strong enough you will get acid reflux. Anti-acids destroy the digestion system and also the acid inhibitors. if you take them for a time you will be B12 deficient. Salt you food to taste.