Join Early Retirement Today
Worse Than Leather
Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Worse Than Leather

Did any of you catch the story on the news about this guys face after driving a truck for 20 years. Its hard to believe the sun can do so much damage. My face looks like a babies bottom compared to him.

World News: Daily sun exposure leaves left side of man

DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
It could be a good ad for using sunscreen.

powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Yes, I saw that. Pretty amazing. Really got the point across what the sun can do to your skin.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Yes, we saw that on the news and it rang a bell. I've never seen evidence like this but now we know. We've heard for a number of years about the sun beating in the windows of the car. My BIL told us a while back about some statistic regarding people with skin cancer on their left arm vs the right arm. Since 1990, when we moved to Florida, we have always had the front windows on our cars tinted the maximum allowable. Not quite as dark as the privacy glass in the rest of the car but dark enough.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
I used to get a bit of a sunburn when driving on long trips, face and hands. Never thought of doing it professionally.
Animorph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I guess this is reasonable. However: Half the time you are driving, your face is not in the sun at all. Also, it is only when the sun is relatively low in the sky (and less strong), that your face is in the sun. Finally, Chicago is not that far south, and the air is smoggy.

Why isn't the left side of his nose sun-damaged?

If the damaging UVA rays penetrate glass, then the front of his face got a lot of exposure also.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
According to the article, the vehicle was unairconditioned, so he had the driver's window down most of the time. The wind may have done as much damage as the UV rays. Also, I would like to know if he is/was a smoker.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Sounds like some people can't believe the sun could do this much damage but over the years, even if it was just the summers when he got the sun, after what, twenty something years? I can understand this. When we were in Okinawa years ago, the lady drivers always wore long sleeves while driving and my SIL said it was due to the intense sun. The ladies wanted to avoid it. Okinawa and Tampa are at the same latitudes. This guy just had the most extreme case I could imagine.

JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote