Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Even routine but serious illnesses can easily run up $80,000 to $100,000. Start talking about more serious or prolonged illnesses and half a million is not rare. High tech drugs can cost you $30k per year (certain chemo) and many run $3000 per year.

Since you're healthy, you might easily overlook the cost of serious trauma or burns. 6 figures easily.

If you can handle that from personal funds comfortably for years or decades of exposure then maybe going bare can make sense. But I doubt it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Anecdote:
I have always been paranoid (not sure if that's the right word) about having health insurance.
Back in the early '60s it was discovered that my brother had cancer. My father was self employed and there was no medical insurance.
The bills were unbelievable (several individuals and groups did pay/waive fees).
I would say to at least have some insurance for major sudden cost.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For some reason people think about health ins differently than other ins.
If you were allowed to drive a car without ins; would you?

The concept of most insurance policies is asset protection.

If you do not have any assets you might be willing not to pay for health insurance and assume all the attending aspects if you do get ill.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If the company set the rules this way, they should not be surprised if people use the rules to their advantage.

If "everybody did that", they would need to change the rules. This is no different than some of the subsidy and rebate programs from the govt. I don't agree with them, but that does not change the fact that they are out there. If I can take advantage of them I will. That's what they are there for.

-ERD50
That's a really warped way to view others, screw everyone else, I got mine, who cares about integrity. It's policy holders that pay for parasites, not "the company." YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I would never go without insurance if there were any other alternative.

My brother and sister in law tried that, and that is when my sister in law was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Many, many bills later, she is fine.

ta,
mew
Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH (60) and I (50) just signed up for individual health insurance at $300 per month with a $10,000 deductible ($5,000 per person) and a $5 million cap. Like you, we are low consumers of healthcare.

It also has an accident provision where the first 30 days of treatment are paid 100% without meeting the deductible. You would save the deductible in about 2 years through lower premiums.

You might check with a local insurance broker to see what is available in your state. I know we are in for increases every year but I was pleasantly surprised with the starting premium.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That's a really warped way to view others, screw everyone else, I got mine, who cares about integrity. It's policy holders that pay for parasites, not "the company." YMMV
In that case, you should chastise everyone who takes advantage of the "Cash for Clunkers" provision, accepts any subsidy/rebate for "energy efficient" appliances, takes a mortgage deduction, etc, etc, etc. It is the rest of the taxpayers that pay for that, not "the govt". That does not vary, it is factual.

It is not screwing everybody else to play by the rules. The problem is the rules.

Re-read my post, and you will see that the "take advantage of them" that you bolded was directed at the govt programs.

There are points where I would say it crosses the line of "playing by the rules" and into "playing a game within the letter but not the spirit of the rules". That line will be subjective, I think it is crossed by the people who return a perfectly good TV or something just to get a refund and buy a new one. But those rules probably need to be changed. But if an insurance co says you can go in/out of the system, I'd assume that is already baked into their costs.

-ERD50
Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #28

I would not go without health insurance and have counseled my children to do the same.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I would not go without health insurance and have counseled my children to do the same.
Me too, and she has been without health insurance anyway for the past 9 years. Kids!! This has scared me to death.

Luckily, her fiance will have her added to his health plan after they marry, this October.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #30

I'm not sure your "jump in, jump out" plan will really work. Some medical events have rather sudden onset (car accident, broken bones, stroke, cardiac event, etc). I cannot imagine any plan is so flexible that you will be able to retroactively sign up for it after an event and they will still cover the care. You will leave yourself exposed to many of the risks that health insurance is supposed to insure against.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #31

I went for a whole year without health ins, from age 50 to 51. I was working at a job which did not have health insurance. I liked the job enough to accept the lack of health insurance. Took a risk. Luckily, I did not need any insurance.

Parenthetically, I was hearing about folks without insurance who simply refused to pay any medical bills, and got away with it, even though they had assets that could have been attached by creditors. Also heard about folks who did not get away with it, and were on the hook for years, for medical bills. Hmmmm.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read these topics on health care on several other forums and they are all quite similar when describing all the problems and costs involved with private insurance, but i cant figure why so many balk at the idea of universal health care, As a Canadian i've never had to worry about whether i get health care or not or what it costs its just there from birth till death .Taxes? yeah they take out about $25-$30 per paycheck,whats the problem?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

If you are willing to fall on your sword. I went 12 years without health insurance(the SO had her union insurance). In 1993 they wanted about 720/mo for Cobra which basically would have broke my retirement budget.

Given the the choice between ER and going back to work - I took ER. I was lucky - the 90's Mr Market, getting wiped out by Katrina and moving to another state - high deduct was 158/mo at age 62 - way cheaper.

I don't recommend it for anyone else.

heh heh heh - The level of agile, mobile, and hostile varies with the individual situation - only you can decide.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
For some reason people think about health ins differently than other ins.
If you were allowed to drive a car without ins; would you?

The concept of most insurance policies is asset protection.

If you do not have any assets you might be willing not to pay for health insurance and assume all the attending aspects if you do get ill.
But it is not the same at all. You are uninsured and you have an accident. It is over. What is done is done. You pay, your insurance pays, or if you can't at worst you file bankruptcy and lose your non-exempt assets.

With health care you can't just incur the care and blow off the bill. Often you are precluded from getting the care you need when you need it.
Health insurance gives you access to quality care. If you can't pay you might not get care and evidence shows the quality of your care will be worse in many circumstances and your risk of death increases.

Apples and oranges.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Health insurance gives you access to quality care.
I think health care insurance just gives the insurance company lots of your money,whether you get quality health care depends on the professionals that treat you,the number of malpractice suits in the US seems to indicate that not all those insured feel they are getting quality health care.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd never willingly be without insurance. The key word here is WILLINGLY!

I was downsized at age 59; my company agreed to pay health insurance for me and my husband for 1 year. (Our health insurance was through blue cross blue shield; the cost was $1,500/month of which I paid 20 percent.) At age 60 I was looking for health insurance; couldn't get any because of preexisting conditions. Even though I have preexisting conditions (cholesterol and high blood pressure), these things are under control and I'm never sick. I've never been in the hospital except to give birth.

So, I couldn't find health insurance. But, there's some rule that since I'd been with BC BS for years, they had to give me a policy. So I bought a catastrophic policy, which has a $5,000 deductible; it pays for nothing until I reach the 5K. The premium for the policy was $458/month. (This is for me only; husband is on Medicare.) After 6 months, the premium increased to $610/mo; 6 months later I'm paying $732. My bottom line is: if they increase me again, I will be unable to afford it. So then what?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As a Canadian i've never had to worry about whether i get health care or not or what it costs its just there from birth till death .Taxes? yeah they take out about $25-$30 per paycheck,whats the problem?
Universal health care - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Health care in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Canada's healthcare spending is expected to reach $171.9 billion, or $5,170 per person, in 2008.
Jambo - how many paychecks do you get a year? 172?

Who pays the remainder of the $5,170 per person? Did Canada actually develop perpetual motion and the free lunch, and are keeping it a state secret?

-ERD50
Old 07-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
My bottom line is: if they increase me again, I will be unable to afford it. So then what?
If you haven't seen this information, take a look. Be sure to check Health Insurance and Coverage Help for Consumers Everywhere regarding available health insurance options in your state.

Hope it helps.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Health care in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jambo - how many paychecks do you get a year? 172?

Who pays the remainder of the $5,170 per person? Did Canada actually develop perpetual motion and the free lunch, and are keeping it a state secret?

-ERD50
I think that $5k figure is a guesstimate as to what the cost breaks down to per person, It usually is just an across the board figure,in reality the more you make the more you pay so bringing home $40k per year works out to about $200 a month,my kid who makes half that pays about $100 per month,the company i worked for probably pays $10,000 a month.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #40

I would never go without health insurance at my age. In my younger days, I never gave a fig.