Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
2017 Premium w/ $13k deductible - $12,800/yr
...but right now we are basically going to pay the first $26k in medical expenses.
The $13k deductible is the family deductible. The individual deductible limit within the family plan is lower if only one person is sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
We are both pretty healthy.

Would anyone roll the dice and not get health insurance under these circumstances?
Most without ACA compliant coverage are exempt from the penalty, especially if the cheapest Bronze plan is over 8.16% MAGI for 2017 (8.13% is the 2016 threshold).

Since I am also currently healthy and could pass the medical underwriting questionnaire, the minimum I would consider is an exchange plan for January and an 11 month non-compliant Short-Term Medical (STM) plan for the remainder of the year. An STM from a major carrier like UHC has a broad, national PPO network with access to negotiated rates at a lower premium.

HHS has proposed a rule to limit STMs to 3 months but it is receiving a lot of backlash and may not be implemented.

Quote:
Q. When I compare health insurance plans in the exchange for our family, they all show total family deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums (OOPMs). Does that mean we’d have to meet the full family out-of-pocket limit, even for just one person?

A. As of 2016, no (and even before that, the answer was usually no).

Prior to 2016, family plans could have aggregate deductibles and OOPMs.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/faqs...st-one-person/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only place I have seen rates like what the OP quoted ($1500 a month for *young* people) is Alaska. Even there though the $1700 premium for us would be reduced to about $200 to $300 with subsidies.

I cannot fathom how someone would do Roth conversions over taking the immediate benefit of the subsidies at that level. $15,000 a year free money now vs the possibility of RMD down the road?

Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

That's the way I look at it, getting $10k subsidy this year and I'm assuming way more than that for next given the crazy GA rate increases. Plus we get a better Silver policy with greatly reduced OOP expense if we need care, which saves us even more money (currently $500 PP deductible vs. $6800 for Bronze).

There's no way I'm converting to Roth up to the top of the 15% bracket with that kind of free money on the table today. But I plan on QCD'ing a lot of RMDs to avoid the tax torpedo anyway, so I'm not expecting a big future tax hit.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: Fort Myers, FL by Winter - Lake of the Ozarks, MO by Summer
With the increase in HC premium and no subsidy, we have decided to go with Christian Healthcare Ministries.

Now we are deciding which plan to go with

For two of us per month
Bronze Plan - $90
Silver - $170
Gold - $300
Old 10-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #65

So have you read careful thru the pre-existing conditions clause, in particular where it says you don't even have to have prior treatment for an illness,
if it shows up anywhere in your medical history.

So for 3 years from the time you apply for insurance any things you have ever gotten treatment for won't get a full payment under this plan. Now if you are a 20 year old who have always been in perfect health it might not be a big deal. but I believe you do mention a few pre-existing issues.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I cannot fathom how someone would do Roth conversions over taking the immediate benefit of the subsidies at that level. $15,000 a year free money now vs the possibility of RMD down the road?
Who has said they would? I only saw one person who talked about doing Roth conversions instead, and they seemed to be nowhere near that level. The OP talked about consulting income, I believe.

I'm in the same boat, but with Coventry pulling out of VA next year it looks like premiums are going up enough to make the effort to manage income below the subsidy level worthwhile.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

My premium is going up 53% in 2017.

Definitely considering going with out insurance.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
My premium is going up 53% in 2017.

Definitely considering going with out insurance.
Any numbers? A premium going from $100 a month to $153 a month would not drive me toward going without insurance.

What is your MAGI and what sources does it come from?

It just seems so easy for early retirees to manipulate MAGI to whatever they want, but maybe we are just in a unique situation.

I guess if I had a $100,000 a year pension at age 45 I would have something to complain about with no subsidy eligibility.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: Fort Myers, FL by Winter - Lake of the Ozarks, MO by Summer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
So have you read careful thru the pre-existing conditions clause, in particular where it says you don't even have to have prior treatment for an illness,
if it shows up anywhere in your medical history.

So for 3 years from the time you apply for insurance any things you have ever gotten treatment for won't get a full payment under this plan. Now if you are a 20 year old who have always been in perfect health it might not be a big deal. but I believe you do mention a few pre-existing issues.
We have been reading up and asking questions for about a year now.... And yes there are conditions on the pre-existing..... I have arthritis and asthma, that I take maintenance drugs for.....To date, I have never needed anything more..... As well I had a spot on my nose that I had taken care of with Black Salve......

DW is in good health, no pre-existing to worry about......

We live off DWs Taxable IRA and Annuities, along with SS..... Once I turn 59.5 we will then begin the draw from my IRA......We live on roughly 100K per year, no subsidies......

We hate taking the risk, but we enjoy early retirement between our two homes..... I think it is just crazy spending $1450 per month, on a Bronze HC plan ..... We will see how 2017 goes and report back