wow 100/70 is my number

Your ER blood pressure: What is your number?

• too low

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 90/50 to 135/90

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • too high

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

perinova

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just came back from health check up yesterday. As usual my blood pressure is on the low end. The nurse needs to verify twice to make sure: 100/70. Her comment: Wow you will live forever.
DW however was too high 150/100 or something like that. (her lower number is my higher number !!!). She is better this morning. I guess she was stressed out about getting this check?

Anyhow it seems that stress keeps me alive whereas it might be the opposite for her. Something needs to be worked out now that we are in our mid 40s so that she can relax more I guess. Women get higher number later in life too...

Great news on your numbers!

As far as your DW, unfortunately the perimenopause or menopause phase of life can cause BP to increase in some women. :(

BP is usually around 90/60. Resting heart rate is usually about 45 beats/minute.

Good numbers for a 49 year old male :) but dad died at 52 of artery/heart problems less than a week after a check up in which the MD told him that he had a healthy heart and those sorts of problems run in both sides of the family so I figure that it is doubly important for me to maintain good vascular health :-\

When I give blood the attendent that takes the pulse and bp measurements usually runs off to get the supervisor to see if it is ok for me to donate because my numbers are so low. It's stupid I know but I kind of get a kick out it when they start asking question about it :D

MB

MB... I used to be that low a long time ago... but now am in the 120 to 125 over 80 range... put on way to much weight (not obese.. just to much...)

BTW, the problems with heart attacks is that in a big percent, the first sign you have of heart problems is you drop dead...

There seems to be another way of having problems.. that the plaque is not blocking your artery, but is growing in the wall of your artery. This does not show up on some of the test, but if it breaks out the results are the same... heart attack or stroke...

Don't know if they have a test for this... but since your dad died so young, I would ask and get tested if you can..

Spouse runs around 90/60 too. Some days even as low as 85/55... must be in the genes. She does no exercising other than evening walks and the occasional pushups/situps for the Navy's physical fitness test. She says she hates to stand and she always thinks better on her butt in the recliner sitting down.

When she reacts to a bee sting and sees a doctor, she has to keep telling them that 90/60 is her "normal".

Meanwhile 120/80 is my "personal best". It'd be interesting to wear a BP recorder and see whether that's reality or just white coat syndrome.

Can someone explain what BP means physiologically? My last check was 129/74. My resting heart rate is quite low because I run regularly. My top BP number used to be over 140.

I could cut back on sodium and caffeine, but have no idea if this will help more or if it really matters for someone in the normal range. If one is on the higher end of normal BP, does that mean that your circulatory system is working harder and is less efficient? Is one more susceptible to long term heart attack risk if they don't lower it further?

Kramer

Thanks Texas Proud,

Texas Proud said:
There seems to be another way of having problems that the plaque is not blocking your artery, but is growing in the wall of your artery. This does not show up on some of the test, but if it breaks out the results are the same heart attack or stroke...

Don't know if they have a test for this... but since your dad died so young, I would ask and get tested if you can..

Yes, this was the apparent cause of death for both dad and mom.

You're right about getting a test. I know little about this but maybe magnetic resonance imaging where I think they can see the actual fluid flow patterns in the arteries would give some info. Like you mentioned I think a lot of the standard tests miss it.

Tests are something that I should look into though. DW has been bugging me about it quite a bit. Makes me realize she still cares :)

Nords, I think that 25 years of pretty consistent running and biking have helped keep my bp low. That is one variable where I'm in better shape (pun intended) than my parents. Not sure what the bp would be without that but I suspect that I would be 20 lbs or so heavier.

MB

kramer said:
Can someone explain what BP means physiologically? My last check was 129/74. My resting heart rate is quite low because I run regularly. My top BP number used to be over 140.

From the American Heart Associate web-site:

What do blood pressure numbers indicate?

* The higher (systolic) number represents the pressure while the heart is beating.
* The lower (diastolic) number represents the pressure when the heart is resting between beats.

The systolic pressure is always stated first and the diastolic pressure second. For example: 118/76 (118 over 76); systolic = 118, diastolic = 76.

kramer said:

Kramer,

I had intended to write you a brilliant essay with truely useful health recommendations supported by original scientific research a bunch of crap where it is difficult to separate the truth from the urban myths but decided to make the unusual decision of leaving it to someone that actually knows what he is talking about!

Rich, do we have a doctor in the house?

MB

Thanks for the info. I will probably just google this to find out more.

My doctor seemed to think everything was hunky dory and did not recommend any changes. I am trying to look below the surface, understand more, and possibly improve health beyond just "OK"

Kramer

The first number in the xxx/yy designation is the systolic pressure, the one created by the contraction of the left ventricle of the heart. The second number (diastolic) is the pressure between beats. They are probably equal in their risk effects.

Elevation in either reading, on a long term basis, is a risk factor for stroke, heart, kidney failure and, less so, for heart attack.

Occasional elevations can occur with stress including going to the doctor to have it checked. The traditional cutoff is 140/90 for treatment, but it is a linear risk and I personally make the decision with the patient including their other risk factors. I am more aggressive if other risks are present.

Treatment is usually easy and effective. Good old treatments like hydrocholrothiazide are effective, cheap and safe. We use much lower doses today than in the past. It has been shown that treatment reduces risk with little doubt. Fancy drugs are not usually necessary.

Unlike some complex and high tech preventions, this one is easy: if you have high blood pressure (140/90 more than once, for example) you do better with treatment. Home recorders, repeated visits and other measures can be used to help decide in borderline cases.

One unappreciated correlation is that about 11% of high BP is caused or worsened by alcohol use. It's worth reducing or eliminating before making a treatment decision. Obesity is the same. African Americans are more likely to have high BP and are more likely to suffer its harm if they do have it. This is a genetically determined difference. It is true even when adjusting for all other known variables including weight, diet, and exertion level.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Rich, that is very helpful. I also found this helpful page put out by the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00027

Although, after reading your reply and the page above, I am still not sure if I should be undertaking more changes to reduce my systolic blood pressure even further, like below 120 (last check was 129/74). I consume no tobacco, virtually no alcohol, exercise regularly, and have excellent BMI -- but I am sure I could improve my diet for sure.

OK, it sounds like one should make sure they are not shorting themselves on potassium, either, this could be as great of a risk factor as high sodium (bananas or potatoes anyone?). http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/COLUMNNN/nn981104.html

Kramer

Back
Top Bottom