Yeah, I see the problem-- you're gettin' old.

60 ain't big.......60 ain't nuttin'.........wait until you hit 70.....you'll yearn for the halcyon days of your 50s and 60s.

Nemo, with your stair climbing workouts, I suspect your better days are still ahead, and you've probably left no vitality in the rear view mirror.

It seems as one gets older, it gets tougher to recover from little aches and pains, and certainly major injuries. Couple that with an older person's quest to never age by trying to maintain exercise intensity of a 20 year old - then you have problems. Last year I used to run 5 days a week, but developed injures to the point where now I can only hike and bike for cardio - at lesser intensity and frequency than what I'm used to. And it's tough mentally to have to adjust to a "lesser" workout. But if you maintain a sensible diet and exercise program, you'll find that do not not have to exercise like a 20 year old to stay fit.

Yeah, I figured I'd be feeling the love on this thread... I was hoping to learn about some magic potion missing from my diet or advanced massage techniques. Heck, I'd even stab myself with a B12 needle if I thought it'd do any good.

I take ibuprofen as safely as I know how-- always after food, and rarely more than 5-6x/week. 800mg is my orthopedic surgeon's recommendation to ensure the anti-inflammatory effect can kick in. I never take it before a workout-- the last thing I need is a pain-free workout without feedback on when I'm overdoing it. At least it seems less risky than Naproxen.

Ironically this morning's workout with spouse was "back to normal"-- six weeks after we came back from our Mainland trip, we finally did our full sets of everything. And I know now that I can boost the weight on the squat bar a bit more. But I'm looking forward to my usual nap...

Well, maybe look at it this way: If you overdo taekwondo, will you miss the next morning's scheduled dawn patrol? How important is that to you? How about the yardwork?
To me, it sounds like taekwondo is more important to you because it is something you enjoy with your daughter, rather than it simply being something you enjoy. I hear you on that...it is really important to keep that close connection. But if it means you have to give up the dawn patrol (also a shared connection with DD), what would you do?
At 50+ our bodies simply will not recover as fast as they did when we were in our 20s, even if we are relatively fit compared to the general population. I found that out myself, trying to run and ride my way to being able to do a triathlon, after never being very active in vigorous sports until 4 years ago.
Given your enjoyment of the various activities, whether it is just because you love it, or because you love your daughter, or somewhere in between, it may very well be worth the effort to try to tame the most intense of your efforts just a little, or you may injure your body, or your pride, to the point of not wanting or being able to go back. Not going back does not sound like a very good option to me.
That's right, taekwondo has been a lot less fun since my daughter left for college (two years ago). I give TKD a lower priority than surfing, and I try to give both a higher priority than yardwork. But when the green waste biweekly pickup day looms nigh, I can skip a TKD workout. Maybe even a dawn patrol.

I think the worst part about Wednesday's squats was the betrayal/surprise of how quickly my brain exceeded my physical limits. I probably could have paddled out on Thursday morning, but I was still a bit concerned about cramping up at a bad time.

[-]You mean other than your grip on reality?[/-]:)
Your thread title sums it up. You can run, but you cannot hide from what age does to the human body.
Um, is there some reason you cannot keep doing all the things you do, but just do a bit less of them?
Suggestion: learn to replace competitiveness with wisdom. :cool:
Heh-- it's a self-imposed hypercompetitive drive. After 40+ years of that lifestyle, it's hard to let go. So far all that's "doing less" is yardwork & home improvement. TKD is best with a minimum of two practices per week, which I'm barely maintaining now. It was pretty darn hard coming back from a six-month break, so I'm going to stick with it or quit cold turkey. I can't go down to once per week (injuries), and I know better now than to do three or four per week. Dropping down to the adult color-belt class is no good either-- I barely break a sweat there now, and I'd rather stay with the black belt adults and learn the rest of the black belt forms.

Not a lot of sympathy here! I've run since 30's (61 now) and plantar faciitis is killing that. Got a mountain bike, and now having knee problem as well.
Been through those, too. Luckily the PF wasn't very severe, and TKD does a lot for foot muscles. With all the other exercise I do, these days I only ride my bicycle if we run out of cars.

Yeah, that and calorie restriction! I so want to believe, but they're still rats.

If you are looking for another martial art, give a look at Uechi-Ryu... It is a traditional Okinawan karate. I love it.
Hunh, thanks, that has to exist somewhere on this island's culture. Never heard of it before, but I'll look for it.

Sounds like it is time to form your own dojo - Mature Taekwondo, or whatever. Keep up the sport but at a sensible pace. Following a 30 y/o into the emergency room is dumb.
I didn't appreciate what I'd done to myself until it was too late, and I'm sure the instructor never saw it coming. It'd be tough to leave this dojang, but I'll have to ask that question. Based on the awards won by the instructors & students, I'm in the best dojang in the state. But of course the flip side is that it's very competitive, and it's youth-oriented. I'm even a decade older than the owner, although I think he's starting to see a tiny glimpse of the same recovery problem.

I'm going to have to have a quiet talk with the owner about bowing out when I've reached my limit. That'd mean leaving 40-50 minutes into some workouts instead of staying for the full hour. I don't think anybody will mind once they know it can happen, but I don't want anyone getting worried and reaching for the defibrillator...

Nemo, with your stair climbing workouts, I suspect your better days are still ahead, and you've probably left no vitality in the rear view mirror.
:LOL: If only!

~ 10 years ago, after my late wife died, I was cycling 50 miles a day, doing pushups and such.......blew out my elbows doing the latter, (osteoarthritis is a likely factor)......all in the past.

But.....I did two stair workouts the other day, and at one point as I was descending, two young boys arrived waiting to carry their bikes up.......when they realized I was going back up, the youngest/smallest, aged about 13, who was the obvious spokesman, said I should go ahead of them.

I got out of their way at the top, and the young guy asked how many reps I did in a day.......when I told him, he looked at me and said "Wow, good shape!"

But...then again, his grandfather is probably younger than me and an overweight smoker. :LOL:

Long time lurker here... saw your message and felt compelled to join and respond.

I see many responses here that suggest to accept the inevitable and to live within the new limitations. I disagree with that approach and am fighting it any way I can.

My sporting activities are skiing during the winter and mountain biking and sand court volleyball during the rest of the year. Training for these activities keeps me going to the gym nearly everyday. Keeping up with the diet and training is a full time effort! Who has time for a job!

I am also in my early 50s and have noticed the recovery problem you mentioned. The root problem appears to be loss of muscle mass. For me, the additional muscle mass seems to prevent injuries and to help rehabilitate the injured tissues. ( I can give lots of examples).
My challenge has been with a variety of injuries over the past few years that have been accumulating despite physical therapy and rest and diet and ibuprofen.

For a variety of reasons, I recently had my testosterone levels checked and was diagnosed with Low T. Further exams showed I also had low estrogen and osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis).

So, I started testosterone injections nearly 3 months ago.

Its early still, but the results are favorable. I am finally able to workout through old injuries without aggravation. My workouts are approaching the results I last achieved 8 years ago.

HRT is something for you to investigate.

Also about your cramping. You mention that you are paleo and low carb... that's fine as I am wheat free and junk food free myself. But the carbs are important and your cramping suggests insufficient glycogen and electrolytes.

I try to workout nearly 1.5 hours every morning (weightlifting and HIIT). Good carbs, along with protein, are an important part of the recovery process.

My workouts are in the morning, so I have healthy carbs before and after my workout. I generally consume 80% of my carbs by lunch. I switch to protein and fats for my afternoon snack, dinner and late night snack.

Also, I don't know anything about your workouts. Bodybuilding.com has a geezer forum to read through and I always recommend P90X as a great, comprehensive workout... for those who are already active!

Hope this helps.

Thanks-- and welcome to the board!

I am also in my early 50s and have noticed the recovery problem you mentioned. The root problem appears to be loss of muscle mass. For me, the additional muscle mass seems to prevent injuries and to help rehabilitate the injured tissues. ( I can give lots of examples).
My challenge has been with a variety of injuries over the past few years that have been accumulating despite physical therapy and rest and diet and ibuprofen.
I've shed a lot of fat and actually put on 10-20 pounds of muscle since I retired, especially in legs/chest/shoulders. I worry more about overtraining injuries than muscle mass, and I'm way more likely to overtrain. Of course needing a longer recovery time seems to keep me from being able to overtrain, so maybe this "problem" will eventually be self-correcting.

I've noticed that I've lost a lot of subcutaneous fat in the last few years. (I certainly feel it when the surf temperature drops.) But I think that's a separate issue.

For a variety of reasons, I recently had my testosterone levels checked and was diagnosed with Low T. Further exams showed I also had low estrogen and osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis).
So, I started testosterone injections nearly 3 months ago.
Its early still, but the results are favorable. I am finally able to workout through old injuries without aggravation. My workouts are approaching the results I last achieved 8 years ago.
My behavior in these situations makes me worry more about testosterone poisoning than deficiency. But seriously, I've read that a man's "normal" range is a pretty wide distribution. How does the medical field determine "low" if they don't know my baseline? And then there's the issue of whether my spouse really thinks it's a good idea to raise my testosterone levels...

HRT is something for you to investigate.
I'm under the impression that's associated with menopause. Is there a male version of HRT?

Also about your cramping. You mention that you are paleo and low carb... that's fine as I am wheat free and junk food free myself. But the carbs are important and your cramping suggests insufficient glycogen and electrolytes.
I'm not a paleo zealot, so I still get carbs-- for example pizza. I didn't mean to give the impression that glycogen or electrolytes were the source of the cramping. Hydration is a big deal around here. I'm usually well fed and thoroughly hydrated, and I was on that night as well. I can't remember the last time I had a cramp, but I've had plenty of sore muscles from overtraining. This was just a matter of 100+ squats leading to exertion exhaustion, lots of lactic acid, and a slow removal.

But I have to admit that testosterone "supplementation" is a tempting question to research.

The concern with muscle mass is that we know it decreases with age. As we try to maintain our activity levels, the mass that remains has to do more work... leading to quicker fatigue and longer recovery (and possible injury).

Your original post mentioned that you were dragging even after good sleep. That was one of my symptoms.

Normal testosterone is between 300 and 1000. I initially tested below 300 and am now trying to achieve a level around 900. Too much causes me to be too alert all night long.

>> Is there a male version of HRT?

For males, the hormone of interest is testosterone (TRT). You probably see ads for some of the topical products. I preferred the injections (much cheaper).

As for the cramping, 100 body weight squats is not all that much for someone who works out regularly. Furthermore, these squats work primarily the quad muscles, but its your hamstrings that are cramping. To me, that suggests there is more than too much exercise involved. This cramping should be investigated.

Being highly active requires proper and supportive nutrition. Half a pizza a week is neither proper nor supportive. Lots of studies show a carb and protien recovery drink consumed within 1 hour of a workout provides the optimal recovery nutrition. I consume 2 of these nearly every day.

I don't mean to be critical, but your original post asked for ideas and opinions... I'm just sharing how I am combatting these same issues!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of this thread when I played tennis today.

These days it takes me a while to get ready as I have to put on ankle braces, knee braces, a back brace and a wrist brace. I also like to wear a heart monitor since my max HR these days is a measly 163 (soon to be 162) using the 220-age formula. (In my hour long cardio challenge class on Thursday I had to slow down on the final run as it hit 170).

After playing I also need to stretch, ibuprofein at times, and then take a bubble bath.

I accept that at some point I'll have to switch to doubles and eventually stop playing, but until that happens I'll make whatever modifications it takes.

All of these tales of woe say loud and clear to me that I should try to have activities and hobbies that I enjoy that I will be able to do even when I am declining physically. Brewing is extremely physical as I currently do it, but with some somewhat expensive equipment I could reduce a lot of the physical effort. Hiking I suppose is as tough or as easy as you wish to make it (all day marches at 10,000 feet are probably out when I am 70). Hunting seems to be only slightly more physical than hiking (chasing squirrels on flat ground is not tough vs. dragging a mule deer to my truck on steep ground at 9,000 feet). Fishing can be pretty easy (snoozing in a chair while keeping a lose grip on the rod).

Wow, I really have been getting in touch with my inner redneck lately...

There's a lot of discussion on cramping in the running community. The usual tale is that your electrolytes are down, and getting salt and/or potassium will help. Others think it is simply a matter of asking your muscles to do too much. In the running world, that means running a marathon at a pace you aren't in shape for. I think it's probably some of each, and in your case you probably just over-fatigued those muscles.

At 50 and getting back into shape after missing a few months due to ACL repair, I really have to watch increasing my running too quickly. One week I'll feel good and able to do my planned runs, and the next week my legs are just heavy and listless, and I have to cut back. I've always been used to trying to push my limits, but that's not working well for me right now.

Then there's Ed Whitlock Runs 3:30 Marathon At Age 81 | Newswire. And he's slowed from 3:15 last year, because he broke a rib late last year and missed a few months of training. I've beat his 3:30 time, but not 3:15. Don't tell Ed he's getting old.

Sorry, no magic that I know of. I figure if I can keep showing up for my races that's better than trying to scorch one and take myself out for months afterward. But it's not like I'm slacking off. I have in mind to get back to full strength next year, and run a 100 miler in 2014.

I was getting night cramps or restless leg syndrome. I walk on pavement a lot and do a bit of hiking and backpacking. I found taking a magnesium supplement helps a lot.

Bodybuilding.com has a geezer forum to read through and I always recommend P90X as a great, comprehensive workout... for those who are already active!

Hope this helps.

Did BodyBuilding.Com add a geezer forum or are you referring to the over35 forum? If the later, most of those guys, with a few exceptions, are not in the geezer category from my perspective.

Sorry about the confusion... it is the over35 forum. There are plenty of conversations about nutrition, aches, pains, injuries and generally doing less.

There are participants that are very knowledgeable and certainly some that can lift a lot of weight. But, they offer plenty of knowledge and enthusiasm for staying fit while aging.

I find it to be a good resource to find ideas that I can make work for myself and my challenges... you know, pains, injuries and doing less!

Last edited:
The concern with muscle mass is that we know it decreases with age. As we try to maintain our activity levels, the mass that remains has to do more work... leading to quicker fatigue and longer recovery (and possible injury).
Your original post mentioned that you were dragging even after good sleep. That was one of my symptoms.
Sure. But my legs are more muscular at age 52 than they were at age 41, both visibly/measurably and due to the few thousands of squats & lunges I've done for the last decade of physical therapy after tearing my ACLs. Now maybe my body's trying to repair more muscle mass, but I think the issue is that it's taking longer to repair the existing mass. So I'll ask for a testosterone assessment at my next physical and see what comes up.

As for the cramping, 100 body weight squats is not all that much for someone who works out regularly. Furthermore, these squats work primarily the quad muscles, but its your hamstrings that are cramping. To me, that suggests there is more than too much exercise involved. This cramping should be investigated.
Actually I think the squats were a considerable effort. The first 50 were body weight squats, the second 50 were side-split squats (lots more weight on one leg), and I hit failure on the subsequent single-leg squats. If you can do 55 minutes of taekwondo training and then the first 100 squats as described and finally pop off five single-leg squats (with the other foot in the air, with or without an ACL in your knees) then you should consider marketing a training video. I'd buy it.

Half a pizza a week is neither proper nor supportive.
Oh please. Veggie pizza as a dinner once a week, with a couple of leftover lunches over the following 2-3 days? Without pizza and an occasional chocolate protein bar then this discussion isn't worth having because life wouldn't be worth living. Heck, my drinking days are behind me and I hardly ever even eat cake or cookies anymore.

These days it takes me a while to get ready as I have to put on ankle braces, knee braces, a back brace and a wrist brace. I also like to wear a heart monitor since my max HR these days is a measly 163 (soon to be 162) using the 220-age formula. (In my hour long cardio challenge class on Thursday I had to slow down on the final run as it hit 170).
After playing I also need to stretch, ibuprofein at times, and then take a bubble bath.
I accept that at some point I'll have to switch to doubles and eventually stop playing, but until that happens I'll make whatever modifications it takes.
I finally stopped wearing my knee braces at TKD 2-3 years ago. My knees no longer needed the support and were working harder to move the braces around than they'd be working to move me around. I keep up with the joint stability by doing lots of lunges & squats.

I'm beginning to appreciate the data afforded by a heart monitor. One of these days I'll get around to it.

All of these tales of woe say loud and clear to me that I should try to have activities and hobbies that I enjoy that I will be able to do even when I am declining physically. Brewing is extremely physical as I currently do it, but with some somewhat expensive equipment I could reduce a lot of the physical effort. Hiking I suppose is as tough or as easy as you wish to make it (all day marches at 10,000 feet are probably out when I am 70). Hunting seems to be only slightly more physical than hiking (chasing squirrels on flat ground is not tough vs. dragging a mule deer to my truck on steep ground at 9,000 feet). Fishing can be pretty easy (snoozing in a chair while keeping a lose grip on the rod).
Yep, I can see a lot of walking & swimming in my future. However I worry that without taekwondo I won't maintain the reflexes/proprioception to avoid tripping over a sidewalk bump and falling flat on my face. Not that something like this happened to my 70-year-old mother-in-law or anything.

Speaking of your inner redneck, there's a definite squirrel shortage in Hawaii. Maybe we could market it here as "flash-frozen free range enhanced-protein sciurus". Or maybe squirrely jerky?

Others think it is simply a matter of asking your muscles to do too much. In the running world, that means running a marathon at a pace you aren't in shape for. I think it's probably some of each, and in your case you probably just over-fatigued those muscles.
I was definitely asking my leg muscles to do too much at the end of a workout. The muscles between my knees and my ribs get a good workout before the end of the hour. Arms-- not so much. I can pop off 100 situps or 100 pushups without too much fussing at the end of the workout, but those squats were quite the unpleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Speaking of your inner redneck, there's a definite squirrel shortage in Hawaii. Maybe we could market it here as "flash-frozen free range enhanced-protein sciurus". Or maybe squirrely jerky?

Eh, then I would have to farm the damn things. Its a lot more fun to walk through the woods and "collect" them from the trees.

Vitamin D3 has been my savior when it comes to post exercise recovery. I take 5000IU per day and will double it if I start having issues.

I am gluten intolerant and have a liver enzyme deficiency and assume that affects how my body metabolizes and utilizes vitamin and minerals in food and supplements.

I'm late to this...as usual... but I'd have to say, Nords, that you answered your own question in the title. It sounds like you've actually done very well considering your age to even be there and compete....and yes, 50 bodyweight squats, then 50 more on one leg each, then the actual fighting? uhhhhh, most people would have died about the 20 bodyweight squat point.

I play badminton and there is a great deal of performance difference due to the age of the players - my husband and I are the youngest ones there and we play very well, however, a lot of the players are decades older than us and don't move as well as they used to...nevertheless they are out there and doing well enough to enjoy themselves and make it fairly competitive if we go for more of a finesse game. I was just helping a lady in her lesson and she's 82!!!! She was complaining about not moving well - hell, I hope I'm moving as well as she when I'm 82.

So, I say embrace the suck of old age and prioritize your activities. If you like long recovery than go all out - if you don't then moderate - didn't you do that with your equipment on the sub - the older stuff got a little more TLC while the newer stuff got to 'show its stuff' - and every now and then the old whippersnapper showed the youngster a thing or two - one more analogy - the old bull and young bull in the pasture - the young bull says, "let's run down there and have some fun with one of those cows" - the older one says, "let's walk and fun with all of them."

I had to give myself new perspectives on how to practice TKD. I won't have the speed, endurance, strength or short recovery that I once had. I can't judge myself with what I once could do, I'm nearly forty years older now than when I started. My opponents are no longer the other MAs, it's creeping age.
What can I do? I can keep skills sharp, stay flexible, and judge myself from how well I performed against my own standards for myself, and feel good about that.
The new standard is whether I am happy with my performance, and am I feeling a 'healthy' sore afterward. As for instructors, I demand the latitude in class to do what I must to keep myself healthy. Geezer reps? nah, just keeping myself healthy. The young bull doesn't have the feedback of strain that my body gives me, he just won't understand. I won't make excuses but I may have to draw lines. From a business standpoint, you represent what could be a large market for your school. It may be in your instuctor's best interest to learn from you on how to train older students.

Last edited:
You asked what you are missing. I think you are missing that ibuprofen is dangerous for your liver and your health.

You asked what you are missing. I think you are missing that ibuprofen is dangerous for your liver and your health.

I'm no doctor, but I believe acetaminophen aka Tylenol is dangerous for your liver. Ibuprofen aka Advil or Motrin not so much...

I'm no doctor, but I believe acetaminophen aka Tylenol is dangerous for your liver. Ibuprofen aka Advil or Motrin not so much...

+1

Ibuprofein is bad for the stomach.

I cited a source in post #11 on this thread about "vitamin I" and some of the cautions about its overuse by athletes.

Back
Top Bottom