Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Yes, I'm going to talk about "IT"...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I'm going to talk about "IT"...

"IT" being my newest rite of passage into "oldfartdom" (right, Martha?)

I am proud to proclaim that yours truly bit the bullet and went for her "turn 50" colonoscopy yesterday. All is well.
The prep was not fun, especially the cheese pizza hallucinations when I was well into my purge and fast schedule. I'll spare you the details.
I will say that Jello, orange PowerAde and chicken broth will not be on my favorite foods list for quite a while.
Now...the results...I avoided a future disaster by having my screening test done. It turns out I have a few minor diverticula (see links at end of post), none inflammed, none serious. I have to give up nuts, popcorn, and any large seed foods as a precaution. My doc told me if I increase the fiber in my diet, they just might get better and the possibility of more occuring would be diminished.
No polyps, no hemorrhoids, no suspect areas. My return visit is set for 5 years.
I was treated with respect, fussed over and congratulated for coming for early screening by the nurse, and I remember nothing. Except the cheese pizza hallucinations, of course.
So...just do it! Preventative colorectal screening is the way to go.

diverticula
http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge-newspaper-2006/nov-6.html
worst case if they progress:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diverticulitis/treatment.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I am SO HAPPY . . .

that there was no embedded photo.
Congraulations. DW had diverticulitis about a year ago, and the gastro-guy said that if everyone took a spoonful of Metamucil twice each day he'd be out of work. The orange stuff doesn't taste bad. Very Tang-like.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad you did talk about it. Having turned fifty last year it is on my to do list this year. Please don't spare us the details, I really want to know as much as possible about the procedure. My basic understanding is that you drink some awful fluid that keeps you running to the bathroom and near facilities. I'm assuming those food sources were in the allowed category? You can elect to watch the procedure or be out completely, yes? How soon after can you have the pizza? Since I am still working how much time off will I need to prepare and recover? I also appreciated the links and did read them, thank-you.
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have to give up nuts, popcorn, and any large seed foods as a precaution.
What?! No whirling nuts?!

I'm glad you are doing well, and this is all "behind" you.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

March 3,4. I'm right behind you...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! I also had mine and I can not pass the juice aisle without getting nauseated . The big mistake I made was taking a late afternoon appointment . I was soooo hungry at that point since it was two days without food . I would be no good in a prison camp .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
I'm glad you did talk about it. Having turned fifty last year it is on my to do list this year. Please don't spare us the details, I really want to know as much as possible about the procedure. My basic understanding is that you drink some awful fluid that keeps you running to the bathroom and near facilities. I'm assuming those food sources were in the allowed category? You can elect to watch the procedure or be out completely, yes? How soon after can you have the pizza? Since I am still working how much time off will I need to prepare and recover? I also appreciated the links and did read them, thank-you.
Ok, you asked for it. Just kidding...

Week before is 7 days prior to Day 1.
Day 3 is the day before Day 2.
Day 2 is the prep/purge day.
Day 1 is the procedure day.

Countdown style, got it? Here we go...

Week before - no aspirin, no vitamins, no fiber supplements. Tylenol only.
Talk to your doctor about any meds you currently take.

Day 3 - I made sure I ate very simple foods, easily digestible, like rice and chicken, avoided spicy or heavy in fat (red meats, gravy). This made Day 2 so much easier in so many ways. Use your imagination. Made up 6 small boxes of Jello for tomorrow.
Day 2 - Allowed: non-red Jello, chicken broth, PowerAde, GatorAde, clear fruit juices, tea, black coffee. Absolutely not allowed: dairy, solid food of any kind.
2 PM - 4 DucoLax (OTC laxative) pills for the "Kickoff".
6 PM - 8 PM Miralax (OTC laxative, entire bottle) mixed with 64 oz orange PowerAde (decent taste cold). Drink 8 oz every 15 minutes.
7 PM - Let the "End Zone" games begin.
1030 PM - Most of purge overwith.
11:59 PM - Nothing at all allowed after midnight.

Day 1 - Happy Colonoscopy Day

2 AM - Woke up, more games but lesser duration.
6 AM - Ditto, even lesser duration.
Fasting and no water allowed (due to sedative). Had to be driven to and home from hospital, no exceptions. Major pizza hallucinations.
10 AM - Driven to hospital for 11 AM arrival, nitpicked dh2b's driving in a snowstorm, all the way. Poor guy!
12 - 1 PM - Procedure done. I elected total "lights out".
2 PM - Woke up in recovery room, silly as h*ll. Major pizza hallucinations continue.
3 PM - Allowed to eat simple, non spicy, non-greasy food (mac and cheese and mashed potatoes, no gravy at KFC worked well). No pizza allowed yet.
4 - 10 PM Crashed on couch, rest and relaxation mandatory until sedative wears off. No stairs, no driving, under constant watch of another person as ordered by hospital. Slept most of the time.

Today - still a tad woozy this AM until 1 PM. Perfectly fine now.
Still eating simpler foods, to avoid more "games". Getting back to normal.
Still have pizza on the brain but holding off til tomorrow (playing it safe).
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

A few polyps when I had mine in Dec 2007; Doc wants me on a 3 year schedule. But that is not why I am responding. A very good friend starts chemo in two weeks for his stage 4 colon cancer; is a month short of 60; had about 8 to 10 inches of his colon removed 3 weeks ago; gets regular exams but hadn't gotten around to the colonoscopy that his Dr. has wanted for 10 years ... Please have this somewhat unpleasant (but most experience/remember nothing) test done!!

thanks,
t.r.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I am SO HAPPY . . .
that there was no embedded photo.
Congraulations. DW had diverticulitis about a year ago, and the gastro-guy said that if everyone took a spoonful of Metamucil twice each day he'd be out of work. The orange stuff doesn't taste bad. Very Tang-like.
Heavens to Mergetroid...Now would l'il ol' me put a gross photo up here? <scanner warming up>
I've actually been taking Metamucil, the orange flavor, for about 3 weeks independent of doctor's orders. I had a low fiber diet and felt it would improve...um...things. It tastes exactly like Tang! Good stuff.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What no Fleet Depending on the individual's chemistry, sometimes these take less or more time for the "games" to begin than the instructions indicate. I spend too many of the late night/early morning hours playing "games" ....procedure itself - well, I remember nothing!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
A few polyps when I had mine in Dec 2007; Doc wants me on a 3 year schedule. But that is not why I am responding. A very good friend starts chemo in two weeks for his stage 4 colon cancer; is a month short of 60; had about 8 to 10 inches of his colon removed 3 weeks ago; gets regular exams but hadn't gotten around to the colonoscopy that his Dr. has wanted for 10 years ... Please have this somewhat unpleasant (but most experience/remember nothing) test done!!

thanks,
t.r.
I am so sorry to hear about your friend.
Part of the reason I posted was exactly along these lines...I had some mild constipation going on for a few weeks. I took fiber supplements on my own, but ONLY UNTIL I went for my test. If my test date had been scheduled further out, I would have gone to see my doc sooner.
My minor diverticula could have easily turned into a ticking time bomb. And believe me, the big C was on my mind too.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #12

After one of mine the doc kindly gave me a couple of extra photos. I will spare sharing them with you.

Yes, one of the lessons learned is always make it a morning appointment! Do not accept anything less.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #13

The test is cake. I've had 4 or 5 of them and I sort like the stuff they give you to go to sleep, very relaxing.

You also get to lose a few pounds for a day or so.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I was just kidding about warming up the scanner.
All I could think of when my doc gave me my photos in the recovery room was "Journey To the Center of the Earth".
I was still under the influence of the sedative.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ugh! I'm too young to be an old fart.

I go in for my just turned 27 colonoscopy in a couple weeks.

I'll be expecting a shillelagh in the mail.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #16

When my husband had his the Dr. allowed him to eat as many hard boiled eggs as he wanted during his prep day. He said that hard boiled eggs leave no residue in the colon. I saw the pics and yup, no residue.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I had mine 2 years ago, and please don't dread going for the test. It's the easiest thing you'll ever do. In fact, you don't do anything. You get all comfortable on the table and this nice nurse says "I'm just going to put this medicine into the IV to help you relax" and the next thing you know a different nurse is shaking you to wake up. It's the best I've ever slept, and if they start selling that stuff over the counter, I'll take it every night. Jumped up, dressed, dh drove me home, went back to sleep for several hours and that's pretty much it. The day before isn't fun but you'll survive. Never put off or dread a colonoscopy. You feel real good when your doctor says you're in perfect health.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

If it says I'm in perfect health then that'll be really bad news cause then we'll be back to square one and the constant pain will continue unabated.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
...The day before isn't fun but you'll survive. Never put off or dread a colonoscopy. You feel real good when your doctor says you're in perfect health.
Amen to that!
I was very relaxed the day before and definitely the day of. Worst part was 6 PM - 10:30 PM during the height of the "End Zone" games. Inconvenient but no agony.
I feel so good for having gone and finding I have a preventable (from worsening) and maybe just maybe reversible situation.
Bottom line ? I have control over the outcome. If I had put this screening off, things could have progressed to the danger zone.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
So how do I find someone to perform this exam?

And how do I find someone to drive me to and fro?