Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poor man. Did it make him taller or shorter? And did things even out after the second knee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The difference in leg length after the first knee surgery was the one thing that drove my SO nuts . He had to have two lifts in his shoe and when he was walking around the house without shoes he limped and it started to bother his hips .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Poor man. Did it make him taller or shorter? And did things even out after the second knee?
It made him a little taller and the second surgery evened out the legs . This is pretty common with total knee surgery . He is so glad He had the surgery and was back to better than normal in no time.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #63
Administrator

Went to Home Depot today.

Thanks to my surgeon I now have a handicapped hangtag, so I parked in a handicapped spot. Didn't feel a bit guilty about it either, because I can hardly walk. I got out the walker that I have recently started using to lessen the pain, and with Frank by my side, I slowly made my way inside the store. The Meloxicam NSAID he prescribed for me helped too. I took several breaks to sit on the seat on my walker, as needed.

Anyway, my mobility problems are not fixed, by any means, but I feel very happy to be able to handle something like this once again.

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 13%, SS 20%, investments 67%.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #64

Good you managed to get out, get some sun and fresh air, see other living beings. Limited mobility and being stuck at home must drive you crazy.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Good you managed to get out, get some sun and fresh air, see other living beings. Limited mobility and being stuck at home must drive you crazy.
Thanks. Yes, it does drive me nuts. Even though I have always been fairly sedentary, I have always had the option of doing things before and limited mobility is very difficult to accept.

Today was a wonderful day to get out, also. Weather here in October is the best of the year - - sunny, low humidity (unusual in New Orleans), and relatively cool after such a hot summer. I really enjoyed doing this.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

W2R , Have you tried aspercreme on your knees ? My Mother who had knee arthritis always used it and it gave her some relief .
Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
W2R , Have you tried aspercreme on your knees ? My Mother who had knee arthritis always used it and it gave her some relief .
No I haven't, and thanks for the idea! I'll ask my orthopedic surgeon about it when I see him soon. So far the Meloxicam has done wonders for me but nothing wrong with more pain relief, for sure!! I am also hoping that the Synvisc shots that he is giving me at this next appointment help.

Part of the problem for me now is that I am weak from not being able to do much, and I need to build my muscles back without overdoing. I guess that is a fine line. I'm going to ask him if he thinks some PT is in order. I know that if/when I have surgery, I'll have a lot of PT afterwards and it would probably help if I was in better shape going into the surgery.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

I lost some weight to help my arthritic feet and then my knee started to hurt. Go figure. Just timing though. I have been able to use an exercise bike with light resistance throughout. It's a pretty boring way to exercise, but the magical iPad helps a whole lot.

The Synvisc (it was really a different product, but the same idea) has helped me a lot. It isn't perfect, by any means, but it is a substantial improvement. I'm 57 and would like to buy a few more years before replacing the damn thing. We just got back from three weeks in Europe and my knee did really well, but we were in nice, flat Barcelona. Downhills are still a problem though, even with the improvement.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #69
Administrator

Sorry that you are facing this problem too, AllDone. I can sure understand why you would like to delay the surgery if possible.

After reading about it online, the recovery time after the surgery until one resumes normal life sounds pretty long and gruesome. So I don't want to go through that unless it is necessary. I'll need my surgeon's guidance on this. I am 68 so I am not eager to wait any longer if it needs to be done.

I still don't see how I could possibly lead a normal life the way things are, but I haven't had the Synvisc shots yet so maybe they will help. I am skeptical.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sorry that you are facing this problem too, AllDone. I can sure understand why you would like to delay the surgery if possible.

After reading about it online, the recovery time after the surgery until one resumes normal life sounds pretty long and gruesome. So I don't want to go through that unless it is necessary. I'll need my surgeon's guidance on this. I am 68 so I am not eager to wait any longer if it needs to be done.

I still don't see how I could possibly lead a normal life the way things are, but I haven't had the Synvisc shots yet so maybe they will help. I am skeptical.
You know what's weird WR, I'm now at a point where I'm ready for the surgery. I'm simply tired of living with the pain. After planning and dreaming about moving to the middle of the city, to be able to walk to restaurants, theaters etc and now can't because of chronic pain is just unacceptable. I'll roll my dice with surgery

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
You know what's weird WR, I'm now at a point where I'm ready for the surgery. I'm simply tired of living with the pain. After planning and dreaming about moving to the middle of the city, to be able to walk to restaurants, theaters etc and now can't because of chronic pain is just unacceptable. I'll roll my dice with surgery
Believe me, I understand. I think I'm feeling a great deal the same, despite how gruesomely awful the recovery after surgery sounds. It might not be that bad, I suppose, like you said, roll of the dice. My dream house that I bought and moved into 15 months ago is in a wonderfully walkable neighborhood and I could easily walk to Trader Joe's or many other businesses if I have good results from the surgery.

Can't wait to hear what your orthopedic surgeon has to say; I am hoping that maybe it won't be much longer for you. I still have a while to go.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm reading that there are new techniques being developed that grow cartilage from the patient's own cells and deposited where there is damage. Does anybody have experience with that?

If this works, it will make obsolete doctors that have spent decades perfecting their knee replacement skills.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_at_49 View Post
I'm reading that there are new techniques being developed that grow cartilage from the patient's own cells and deposited where there is damage. Does anybody have experience with that?

If this works, it will make obsolete doctors that have spent decades perfecting their knee replacement skills.
Super! That sounds great.

I don't know anything about it, and don't know anyone who has had that done here instead of knee replacement surgery. It would be great to not have to go through the surgical recovery torture process. The new cartilage would have to be pretty tough and not subject to wear away easily, because if/when I end up with good knees I plan to use them quite a bit (walking lots more, exercising, and so on). I am eager to get on with life.

It does sound super for those who can wait until it is locally available, and until they find out how this works for patients over time. Personally I think I'll just go ahead and get my knees replaced if the Synvisc shots don't help me enough.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_at_49 View Post

For your reading pleasure:

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biome...891-016-1085-9

Bottom line: this is promising, but in the research stage right now.

Even if it proves to be safe and useful, I doubt if it will be a panacea. Orthopedic surgeons need not worry about their job security just yet.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
For your reading pleasure:

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biome...891-016-1085-9

Bottom line: this is promising, but in the research stage right now.

Even if it proves to be safe and useful, I doubt if it will be a panacea. Orthopedic surgeons need not worry about their job security just yet.
Thank you.

UPJ obstruction used to require major surgery. Now it's repaired with a simple laser treatment, without surgery. Urologists didn't lose their job, but profitability for assembly-line type of medical groups plummeted.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Dr. HFWR I'm not, but as we've discussed in many previous threads, it's difficult to out-exercise a "bad" diet, in this case "bad" being too many calories for a given metabolism and/or activity level. And gimpy knees make being active a bit more difficult...

Still, using some upper body compound lifts will get your heart pumping. I stick to chest presses, lat pulldowns, shoulder presses, and seated rows, rather than isolating stuff, like curls. Your arms will get a good workout doing the compound machines. And the creaky knees get a break. I'd let the PT decide what is appropriate for the knees, both pre-and post-surgery.

As for the diet, I'd start with calculating what calorie level you'd need to maintain your "ideal" weight (how much would you like to weigh?), and try to maintain that level. Low carb might be indicated as well, given the relatively low level of activity from being gimpy...

And I "highly" recommend medicinal marijuana... 😎

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #77

Quote: And I "highly" recommend medicinal marijuana... 😎

I don't know...I remember the munchies from the 60's...it would be hard to lose weight!

W2R, I am sorry to hear about your knee problems; truly, I hope every works well for you.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Believe me, I understand. I think I'm feeling a great deal the same, despite how gruesomely awful the recovery after surgery sounds. It might not be that bad, I suppose, like you said, roll of the dice. My dream house that I bought and moved into 15 months ago is in a wonderfully walkable neighborhood and I could easily walk to Trader Joe's or many other businesses if I have good results from the surgery.

Can't wait to hear what your orthopedic surgeon has to say; I am hoping that maybe it won't be much longer for you. I still have a while to go.
So, scheduled for knee surgery on 12/5 at the Rothman Institute. Overnight hospital stay, evidently the first two weeks are the roughest (and the most use of drugs). Had to wait at least three months since my last cortisone shot.

I'll keep you posted
Old 10-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #79
Administrator

That's wonderful!

My surgery seems to be on hold for the time being. Can't wait to hear how yours goes!

Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #80

good luck, bclover!