Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2019, 05:39 AM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking forward to further positive updates. Back to going out to lunch with F soon hopefully.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #342
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! I'm sure it feels good to be past the surgery.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #343
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thanks, all!

The hydrocodone took away the pain. I never thought hydrocodone was very potent, but I guess it was for this type of pain. And then later, she gave me a Celebrex, too. So I am feeling much better. I have been napping and playing games on my iPad.

The nurse said That my doctor might send me home tomorrow! I’d love that. We’ll see.

Glad to hear the meds are working.

And, wow, just wow, if you get to go home tomorrow.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, all!

The hydrocodone took away the pain. I never thought hydrocodone was very potent, but I guess it was for this type of pain. And then later, she gave me a Celebrex, too. So I am feeling much better. I have been napping and playing games on my iPad.

The nurse said That my doctor might send me home tomorrow! I’d love that. We’ll see.
I don't know if this is the case nationwide but where I live the hospital always tries to get you out before you spend a third night. If you spend a third night then health insurance has to cover a rehab unit stay. If you leave under 3 nights then you have to go home or pay out of pocket for rehab stay. I guess the insurance companies decide hospital policy these days which is not good.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #345
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!
So far, so good.
I have found hydrocodone to work well for me also.
Have had it after my wrist surgery, and also once after gum surgery.
Glad it helped you as well.
Once the knee block is fully out of your system, if it is'nt already, you may need to up it to oxy for a while. Don't hesitate to do so if need be.

I'm so happy the surgery is over for you.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #346
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
Congratulations!
So far, so good.
I have found hydrocodone to work well for me also.
Have had it after my wrist surgery, and also once after gum surgery.
Glad it helped you as well.
Once the knee block is fully out of your system, if it is'nt already, you may need to up it to oxy for a while. Don't hesitate to do so if need be.

I'm so happy the surgery is over for you.
Yeah, not to worry W2R but I think she will be begging for Oxy once the anethesia and nerve block wear off. Unless she has a much higher than normal pain tolerance.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #347
Moderator Emeritus

Today at the hospital I walked 150 feet twice for PT, and I was cleared to come home (and did so this afternoon). The ride home was pretty painful (due to unexpected problems adjusting the passenger seat), but we are home now and I am happily icing my knee and enjoying my Dream Home.

After watching TV over here for a while, F just left to go pick up my two prescriptions; hydrocodone/acetaminophen for pain, and baby aspirin as a blood thinner. No oxy, although the surgeon said I could call him if the pain meds did not suffice. We shall see!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #348
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After watching TV over here for a while, F just left to go pick up my two prescriptions; hydrocodone/acetaminophen for pain, and baby aspirin as a blood thinner. No oxy, although the surgeon said I could call him if the pain meds did not suffice. We shall see!
I hope the Vicodin is enough for the pain. For me, Vicodin was significantly less effective for pain than Oxy. It has the same constipation issues and addiction potential with far less pain benefit. Maybe that's just me and it will work great for you. I hope so.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #349

Great to hear you're doing well and now relaxing at home and have someone nearby to look after you. Home is a much better place to heal - fewer distractions and far fewer infection hazards.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #350

Quote:
PT just came, unhooked me temporarily, and I walked down the hall and back with them, using a walker and with a man pushing a chair right behind me in case I needed to sit. Mostly not too painful, although there were a few squeals from me now and then. So anyway, the new knee works.
When they came to get me for my first walk with the new knee, I was sure they had me confused with someone who'd had their surgery days earlier. Nope, they don't let you get too comfortable. As I've learned "motion is lotion" with this surgery. The more you walk, do your PT exercises, use the CPM, etc., the better it is. It was not comfortable, but it's paying off now - tomorrow is 5 weeks for me. I went back to yoga last week and did another one today. Full disclosure: it's chair yoga, but it's still movement. I just don't have to worry about falling over as there's always a chair right there.

So glad all went well and that you're home, which is THE best place to get better.

Keep us posted!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #351
Give me a forum ...

Glad you are home safe and sound, keep us updated and relax and rest...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
AWESOME!! I'm predicting a total success.
+1 good luck
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Hooray!!
Old 08-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #353

Hooray!!

So happy to hear that your surgery went well. Continue prayers for a great recovery
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #354

Quote:
Today at the hospital I walked 150 feet twice for PT, and I was cleared to come home (and did so this afternoon). The ride home was pretty painful (due to unexpected problems adjusting the passenger seat), but we are home now and I am happily icing my knee and enjoying my Dream Home.

Good grief - home the day after surgery - you are a rock star!!

I hope the pain meds keep you as comfortable as possible, and your recovery proceeds smoothly.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879
I hope the Vicodin is enough for the pain. For me, Vicodin was significantly less effective for pain than Oxy. It has the same constipation issues and addiction potential with far less pain benefit. Maybe that's just me and it will work great for you. I hope so.

My Doc had me on oxycodone 5mg and acetaminophen 500 mg. And a regular full size aspirin every day. It is an effective combo. I have since moved to ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I’m due to ditch the daily aspirin In four days.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #356

Glad to hear you are home already....and dear F is there to care for you.

Hope you remain pain-free with the meds.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Yet another knee surgery thread
Old 08-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #357
Give me a forum ...

Yet another knee surgery thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Good grief - home the day after surgery - you are a rock star!!

I think one night in the hospital is SOP these days unless something bad comes up. I went home with a drainage thing hooked up, and a pain med ball. Both were removed at home. I had tremendous pain the first day home, until the PA told me one 5mg oxycodone pill was the minimum dosage and that I could go as high as three pills if needed to beat the pain down.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #358
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My Doc had me on oxycodone 5mg and acetaminophen 500 mg. And a regular full size aspirin every day. It is an effective combo. I have since moved to ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I’m due to ditch the daily aspirin In four days.
That is what I would consider the minimum proper pain management for at least the first 2 weeks. I am concerned we will be getting reports of W2R having excessive pain with just Vicodin as the primary pain reliever.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #359

I'm surprised the Dr proscribed acetaminophen with the hydrocodone. Ibuprofen or naproxen sodium would be better than acetaminophen, in my experience, especially regarding dealing with inflammation.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #360
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
I'm surprised the Dr proscribed acetaminophen with the hydrocodone. Ibuprofen or naproxen sodium would be better than acetaminophen, in my experience, especially regarding dealing with inflammation.
After my total hip replacement I was told not to take Ibuprofen for the first 6 weeks because it can slow the process of the bone attaching itself to the implant. I was instead prescribed Celebrex. I don't know if that is common practice. I agree that later in recovery Ibuprofen is better than Acetaminophen for pain relief. At least for me it is, I have heard others say the opposite though.