Join Early Retirement Today

Yet another new test for Alzheimer's
Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Yet another new test for Alzheimer's

So far none of the "breakthrough tests" have made it into the big time. For those that are interested, here's an announcement of another new test to diagnose AD. Rowan researchers develop blood test to detect early Alzheimer's | NJ.com

Quote:
"Our results show that it is possible to use a small number of blood-borne autoantibodies to accurately diagnose early-stage Alzheimer's. These findings could eventually lead to the development of a simple, inexpensive and relatively noninvasive way to diagnose this devastating disease in its earliest stages," DeMarshall added. In a proof study, which involved 236 subjects, the test was able to detect 100 percent of subjects whose MCI was actually caused by an early stage of Alzheimer's disease.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't want to hear about another diagnostic test until they have a cure.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I totally get that.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just heard today that Kris Kristoferson was diagnosed with Alzheimer's only to later discover he has Lyme disease, which is treatable.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Certainly no cure yet, but I heard some fairly positive information recently about work by a team that has produced some improvements in cognitive function in folks who were experiencing cognitive decline and in early stages of Alzheimer's. It's a multi-front approach, and the therapy is tailored to each patient based on a fairly in-depth appraisal of blood levels of various substances together with what we know about the formation of beta-amyloid plaques, etc. They look at 36 different indicators and use drugs, nutrition, exercise, sleep, etc to bring them into the optimum range.
Ironically, since there's no new "magic bullet" drug, there's not much money for this, and because they are changing so many variables, it will be hard to do large controlled studies. But, they seem to be getting results, which is good news in a field that has produced very little good news. Obviously, the jury is still out. At this point we have just anecdotal reporting.

-- A good podcast on Dr Dale Bredesen's work (People's Pharmacy, NPR). There are some nutritional recommendations mentioned in the podcast that many people might want to adopt on their own.
-- A short Web MD article on the approach. It has not been studied enough to earn widespread acceptance.

Again--take with a big spoonful of "wait and see".
Old 06-10-2016, 05:10 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Cannabis is being used to treat Alzheimers. successfully.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

On the one hand, I'd like to know for planning purposes. On the other hand, call me paranoid, but I'm afraid of what health insurers or community agencies could do with the information.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
Cannabis is being used to treat Alzheimers. successfully.
How can they tell?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote