Yipee! Finally approved for HD HSA!!!!!!

Corporate ORphan

Recycles dryer sheets
We got notice that we have been approved for a HD HSA policy thru BCBS at the quoted rate with no riders! Now, hopefully, there are no surprises with the policy and paperwork, etc. DH and I are kinda dumbfounded. BCBS was so much easier to work with than UHC... no repeated calls from the customer service reps with the same questions from the underwriters, only 2-5 years of history, they got our birth dates and addresses correct the first time around, no long holding times to talk to them... and they approved us in about a week! Basically, we got treated in a way we thought we should have been the first time.

We're thinking this is a blessing in disguise. If UHC was so hard to deal with just getting the policy, heaven help us when we'd want them to pay for anything! Now since we have a huge deductible ($11,000) we have to make a big effort to not get sick. (Wouldn't you know just yesterday I sliced my hand with a knife cutting an onion! Thought I would need stitches but at least for now it's stop bleeding.)

Thanks to all who "listened" to my rants and offered advice, especially dgoldenz who answered my many questions. I felt really bad asking so many (my agent has been worst than worthless) and dgoldenz was very nice in answering them.

Now I will have to look at setting up a HSA. Anyone have one through Vanguard? We're thinking we will use it for medicaL expenses since the bulk of our assets are already tied up in retirement accounts and we can't touch them for 5 more years. Hate to set it up at the credit union and get less than 1% interest on it.

Congrats on getting coverage w/o the riders! Less to worry about now. I hope your knife wound heals w/o incident too.

Congratulations CO on finishing your insurance journey. It didnt surprise me that BCBS was your best choice since we are from the same state and it was the best rate for me. You probably won't find a great rate right now in any HSA. Be careful about investing all your immediate hsa money in a mutual fund right off the bat. I followed the advise of other people on this forum and currently building up a 3 year war chest left in the savings account. After that has been completed next year, I will then go into mutual funds with the future contributions .

Congrats! I see a large dental bill in the horizon for me. Glad I got my HSA to help cover that.

Anthem rocks. :)

If you weren't looking for something with portability, that would've been my first recommendation. Easy underwriting, low rates, no exclusion riders, never a hassle with claims, great customer service, great company.

Anthem rocks. :)

If you weren't looking for something with portability, that would've been my first recommendation. Easy underwriting, low rates, no exclusion riders, never a hassle with claims, great customer service, great company.

Glad to hear that. I was wondering if I had missed something on the application!

Thanks for the congrats, Dimsumkid, Mulligan and easyrider! Now dh and I are trying to figure out what we were doing before falling into "private insurance hell". It was kinda like ending up in "the Twilight Zone."

Last edited:
Yeah, the old cut finger. Even if it's stopped bleeding, that's only the first step. Keep it very clean until it's not red any more. My DH got stitches a few years ago and after a week of good healing it got infected. So keep it very clean and keep it dry in the shower - that's where the doctor said my DH went wrong.

Glad to hear it and glad that you got some good advice and suggestions from dgoldenz and others here on the board.

Yeah, the old cut finger. Even if it's stopped bleeding, that's only the first step. Keep it very clean until it's not red any more. My DH got stitches a few years ago and after a week of good healing it got infected. So keep it very clean and keep it dry in the shower - that's where the doctor said my DH went wrong.

Thanks for the advice. Interesting that your DH had that issue even with stitches. I had wanted them at first but DH talked me out of it. He is "taking care" of me. (I think he is secretly getting a kick out of repaying me for being the "food nazi" about his cholesterol.:LOL:) He is insisting I don't do anything with it and has a huge bandage on it. Amazing how much you use your ring finger. Makes taking a shower interesting.

Back
Top Bottom