Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich,

I am a certified yoga instructor in my "spare" time when not working on my day job in Finance. I would recommend Jason Crandell's DVD to you. He has a two-disc DVD set produced by Yoga Journal available on Amazon. Disk 2 contains a 60 minute program that, I believe, would be ideal for your home practice. Disk 1 contains detail instructions of how to do many key yoga poses but you would have to use your remote to advance from one pose to another. Therefore, to do a 45 to 60 minute home practice, you should start by working with Disc 2 which is the actual practice. Check these out through Netflix and let me know how you like them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I do notice the buff, muscular firefighters a little more than most men, for some reason.
How do you know they are firemen in the gym? Is it the size of their hoses that get your attention?

Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
How do you know they are firemen in the gym? Is it the size of their hoses that get your attention?
Could be! What an eyeful.

Or, could be the more boring fact that they come in as a group, all wear official firefighter t-shirts that designate them as such. I am pretty sure that the gym allows them in with no fee as a courtesy to the fire department, and the t-shirts identify them to the staff.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
Rich,

I am a certified yoga instructor in my "spare" time when not working on my day job in Finance. I would recommend Jason Crandell's DVD to you. He has a two-disc DVD set produced by Yoga Journal available on Amazon. Disk 2 contains a 60 minute program that, I believe, would be ideal for your home practice. Disk 1 contains detail instructions of how to do many key yoga poses but you would have to use your remote to advance from one pose to another. Therefore, to do a 45 to 60 minute home practice, you should start by working with Disc 2 which is the actual practice. Check these out through Netflix and let me know how you like them.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Retire2014, looks like Crandell has quite a few DVD programs out. Can you specify which set would be the best?

Thanks.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It looks like this is the 2 disc set he mentioned. I was looking for a yoga DVD also and appreciate the recommendation.

Amazon.com: Yoga Journal's Complete Beginners Guide with Pose Encyclopedia: Jason Crandell, Yoga Journal: Movies & TV
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I do yoga a few times a week at home to complement my running. I really like Bodywisdom's "Yoga for Everybody" as there are many different routines you can choose from, depending on how long you want to go or what body parts you want to focus on.

Amazon.com: Yoga For Every Body: J.J. Gorrmley, Michael Wohl: Movies & TV

There are 174 reviews, so you can see what other people say as well. Some people don't like it as it doesn't flow as well as some DVDs, but that way they can use a certain number of poses and mix them up differently to create different routines.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for from your practice, but I also do this one a few times a month (will do more frequently once I FIRE!) for a bit of a change since it's yin yoga, so you hold the poses longer:

Amazon.com: Yin Yoga: The Foundations of a Quiet Practice: Paul Grilley, Ian Albert and Mark Holmes: Movies & TV

I first heard about this DVD here:

The search for a yoga DVD that doesn’t suck: finally over – The Fluent Self

but bought it from amazon.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I've recently put myself (at DW's urging) on a therapeutic Yoga program for some low back pain. It's only been a few weeks so it is hard to tell if it is helping, but I find mysef liking the way it makes me feel in general. I'd like to expand the workout beyond the low back.

So, can anyone recommend a good DVD for a general Yoga experience? I'm interested in a broad-based session, perhaps 45-60 min. I am not looking for a spiritual experience though I understand that that aspect of Yoga is very important to some practitioners. I'll consider classes once my back is healed but for now the home variety is what I'm interested in.

Any recommendations? BTW my back pain book is by Loren Fishman, Relief is in the Stretch. It's very therapy-focused but seems interesting for what it is.
I've looked through quite a few, and personally, I think the ones produced by Yoga Zone are the best in terms of quality of instruction. Specifically the ones with Alan Finger doing the instruction. He has an South African accent too, which is just kind of interesting/different. His instruction is calm and precise. He's good at reminding the practitioner of key points during poses.

Yoga Zone - Introduction to Yoga (Beginners)
Yoga Zone - Conditioning and Stress Release (Beginners)

are two good ones to start with. These are also included in the "Beginners Premiere Collection" DVD set. Or you can buy them individually. Amazon.com: Alan Finger - Movies & TV

I think Yoga is great! Not just for stretching the body and breathing, but also for posture, balance and strength - things really important for our aging bodies. Been doing it since 2000.

Class instruction is important first, though, because you do need to be supervised when you first learn the basic postures, it's easy to make mistakes until you kind of get the feel for it. A basic hatha yoga class will cover the essential poses.

Audrey