Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have to admit that one good reason to retire early is to have the time to exercise. Works soaks up a huge amount of my waking hours and I get home exhausted, stressed, and often with more work to do in the evening. Not so good.
True enough- but gyms are full of young people, fewer retirement age folks. I think most people on this board have the discipline to do daily workouts, but many retired people clearly do not.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

What discourages me from joing a gym, besides lack of time and ridiculous contracts, are the photos of young studs, in their mid 30's as the most, with rippling abs.

I would be more impressed by what they could do with a more worn body running on 50% of the hormones these young studs have.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

You two should join MY gym! Although some members are young, I'd guess the median age at my gym is about 70.

I like that - - the staff plays oldies for the background music, and I feel very young and strong in comparison with the other gym members.

When I was working, I really couldn't get to the gym as easily because I had to fight rush hour traffic after work to get there. Now that we are retired, we go in the middle of the day and we get a big discount on membership if we limit our hours from 9-4 (so we do).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut
What discourages me from joing a gym, besides lack of time and ridiculous contracts, are the photos of young studs, in their mid 30's as the most, with rippling abs.

I would be more impressed by what they could do with a more worn body running on 50% of the hormones these young studs have.
The photos are just marketing/advertising.

Even here in Vegas the gym isn't filled with young hot bods. Our gym is the biggest in the city and the exercisers mirror the population...young, old, big, small and everything in between.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm a member of a municipal rec center. Cost is $11/mo.; all the usual aerobic devices, weight machines, indoor track, basketball and racketball courts, indoor pool...

Don't care who else is there, or what they look like. Well, don't mind some pleasant "scenery"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have to admit that one good reason to retire early is to have the time to exercise. Works soaks up a huge amount of my waking hours and I get home exhausted, stressed, and often with more work to do in the evening. Not so good.
Quote:
If you were doing this in a military unit, then the workout would be part of your day (or your very early morning, or your late evening) and you'd make it all fit. You'd make it all fit because your chain of command would make it fit. In fact, the ones in charge of "making it fit" are usually the worn-out bodies in their 30s with 50% of the young-stud hormones.

As you know, working harder isn't the answer. Working more efficiently would help if you could get out of the energy deficit you're currently trapped in. But you'd have to devote at least 20 minutes a day to at least walking, even if you're not doing Crossfit P90X extreme workouts.

So if you're on your own, you'd have to develop some sort of personal support system to find a level of exercise that makes you feel better while enabling you to get your work done.

Studies have shown that some people have the same problem with retirement-- they're not able to be responsible for their own entertainment. The way you solve this exercise/time-management issue now will pay big dividends when you're ready to ER and trying to figure out what you'll do all day.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Studies have shown that some people have the same problem with retirement-- they're not able to be responsible for their own entertainment.
It's just lucky for me that I find myself endlessly entertaining.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
It's just lucky for me that I find myself endlessly entertaining.
I guess this helps keep your entertainment budget low
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Studies have shown that some people have the same problem with retirement-- they're not able to be responsible for their own entertainment.
When I was a little girl, I found out quickly what would happen if I wouldn't take on that responsibility. If I told my mother I was bored, I would end up doing endless housework.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

To modify a quote by Oscar Wilde "The ability to self entertain in the beginning a life long carnival"

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #71
gone traveling

Quote:
Studies have shown that some people have the same problem with retirement-- they're not able to be responsible for their own entertainment. The way you solve this exercise/time-management issue now will pay big dividends when you're ready to ER and trying to figure out what you'll do all day.
Good advice Nords. My motto is "doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't". My only regret is that I didn't start to live that motto until I was 59
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Aha, Ha. If they are correct T-Al and I have it covered since we do BBS's lifts once a week but crank out the miles on the bike the rest of the week.
Yes, this is likely a very good program. I think these two forms of exercise target quite different body processes.

Here is news release (I don't have the study) that suggests that even very short dropoffs in daily output have meaningful metabolic costs. Weekend Warrioring just does not cut it.

“We now have evidence that physical activity is an important part of the daily maintenance of glucose levels,” Thyfault said. “Even in the short term, reducing daily activity and ceasing regular exercise causes acute changes in the body associated with diabetes that can occur before weight gain and the development of obesity.”

MU News Bureau | MU News Bureau

Similarly, the 2002 Krause study cited above shows best metabolic improvement in the moderate >=18 miles/week joggers. No way to know for certain, but to get this amount of activity likely would require regular exercise, not just bursts of high activity.

I can see why it might take a long time to delineate these things experimentally, even with a very competent investigator interested in it.

Ha
Old 09-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

From that study:
As the number of people diagnosed with diabetes continues to grow, researchers are focusing on discovering why the prevalence of the disease is increasing. John Thyfault, an assistant professor in MU’s departments of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology and Internal Medicine, has found that ceasing regular physical activity impairs glycemic control (control of blood sugar levels), suggesting that inactivity may play a key role in the development of type 2 diabetes.

It's interesting, but not too surprising, that cutting down on exercise affects blood sugar control, but it doesn't say anything about why the prevalence of the disease is increasing, unless you can show that people are cutting down on exercising these days.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

90% of the people in a gym are trying to look like the other 10% of the folks there. (hope that has not already been posted and I missed it). I read that years ago and loved it.

A nice gym in our town recently started offering $9.99/mo basic memberships. ($10.71 with tax). I joined and started exercising again after several months of very little exercise. It's hot and humid in AR and I didn't enjoy my DH and DS walking through the room while I was making an attempt.

What a difference in the way I feel. While there has been NO weight loss , about once a week somebody asks me how much weight have I lost.

And, the energy level is so much better. After retirement (July 2012), I can go in the mornings and it is even better nicer then...much smaller crowd.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
From that study:
As the number of people diagnosed with diabetes continues to grow, researchers are focusing on discovering why the prevalence of the disease is increasing. John Thyfault, an assistant professor in MU’s departments of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology and Internal Medicine, has found that ceasing regular physical activity impairs glycemic control (control of blood sugar levels), suggesting that inactivity may play a key role in the development of type 2 diabetes.

It's interesting, but not too surprising, that cutting down on exercise affects blood sugar control, but it doesn't say anything about why the prevalence of the disease is increasing, unless you can show that people are cutting down on exercising these days.
I don't think he was trying to say why diabetes is increasing. This type of introduction to a paper is always there, it justifies why NIH or ADA or AHA or whomever should fund the guy's next study.

Anyway, there are many good reasons to exercise and never stop. Today I went out to U District to enjoy the short shorts. After a meal at a great Arab kebab place I was walking down the Ave. Some young woman coming up the street got in my path and when I stopped she said to me "Lose the Birkenstocks and no one coud tell you were old."

I wish! But still, it meant something (if only no immediate neeeds to call the undertaker) and I thanked her.

In all ways, today was a glorious late summer day.

Ha