Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

your method for saving HSA receipts?
Old 04-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

your method for saving HSA receipts?

Hello all,

I have tons of medical receipts from years 2012 - 2016 that I have organized into files and placed into our firebox. We had an HSA those years but decided not to reimburse ourselves so that we could let the HSA grow. At some point in the future, we will turn in those receipts for reimbursement.

Questions:

1) These receipts are like cash to us, essentially - probably about $30K. Hubby is a bit concerned they are not safe enough in the firebox. It would be a HUGE task, and I suppose I could scan each and every one of them {groan} ...but I'm trying to think of an easier method to back them up/make them safe. Any ideas?

2) Does anyone know how long you need to keep these receipts after you do take a disbursement from the HSA?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My HSA does not require receipts. I put money into the HSA and take money out and report those transactions to the IRS on my taxes. If I'm audited, I can show the receipts.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My HSA does not require receipts. I put money into the HSA and take money out and report those transactions to the IRS on my taxes. If I'm audited, I can show the receipts.
That's true. So, I guess I need to keep them as long as they recommend keeping your tax records after the year that you submit them. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since the HSA investment options are lousy we take a disbursement ASAP. The expense ratios for the HSA are far above what our other investments suffer. Why pay a higher expense rate for an investment you can use with an IRA, Roth etc ? Manage your entire portfolio to fit your asset allocation with minimum expenses and taxes. It's worth your time.

My advice would be to file them and keep the receipts as long as would be required to for tax purposes.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #5

I've been funding the HSA with the idea it might make a nice LTCI surrogate. For the last couple years I have been scanning and tallying the medical expenses since I need to put them into my tax forms. Even though I really don't hit a limit that lets me deduct on the federal return, I can on my state return. Since I get some deduction on state return complicates later trying to get the money out of the HSA with these receipts. Same would be true with deductions on the federal returns if you itemized your health expenses. Using the $ for deductions and pulling out of an HSA are likely not legal.

But my plan is to spend the HSA $ after medicare starts or possibly when I blow through my max out of pocket.

your fire box is likely safer than your computer ... unless the computer data is stored in the cloud.

I have been using a flat bed scanner (old one), however you may to well to just use a camera set up properly
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I remimburse myself each Jan for qualified expenses the previous year.

I dedicate a file drawer that contains all receipts organized by year. For expenses not reimbursed yet, I have a separate folder for that.

Also, for quick reference I create a spreadsheet separated by year. That way I can quickly see what I contributed, what I paid, what was reimbursed. I assign my own reference number to each item on the spreadsheet and write the reference numbers on the receipts.

Hope this makes sense, if not, that is because I'm listening to a baseball game as I type and might be a bit distracted .
Old 04-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
1) These receipts are like cash to us, essentially - probably about $30K. Hubby is a bit concerned they are not safe enough in the firebox. It would be a HUGE task, and I suppose I could scan each and every one of them {groan} ...but I'm trying to think of an easier method to back them up/make them safe. Any ideas?
If you have proof of payment in digital form, such as credit card and bank statements, you could list them, reference the payment type and date, then store that doc in digital form along with the bank statements. You continue to keep the original copy and use that as backup.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
your fire box is likely safer than your computer ... unless the computer data is stored in the cloud.

I have been using a flat bed scanner (old one), however you may to well to just use a camera set up properly
I like the idea of using my camera - brilliant - thanks! Much easier for me than our flat bed scanner.

If I backed them up digitally I was going to do it on the cloud. I have been contemplating FidSafe.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If you have proof of payment in digital form, such as credit card and bank statements, you could list them, reference the payment type and date, then store that doc in digital form along with the bank statements. You continue to keep the original copy and use that as backup.
I do pay all bills by check or credit card, so yes I could refer to those if need be. I do also make an excel spreadsheet every year listing all of the receipts, with dates paid, who was paid,and how I paid them for an overall reference. However, I wasn't sure if I would need the actual bill from the service provider if audited. And some bills (like prescriptions from CVS) would definitely need an actual receipt to prove it was truly a prescription, and not just non-medical supplies.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We do scan the paid bills if we don't have an electronic copy already. Occasionally I put an updated DVD in the bank safe deposit box.

We don't actually plan to reimburse these - we want to spend the HSA to reimburse Medicare parts B and D when we can no longer contribute. But I feel compelled to maintain the records anyway.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #11

Since such a wide variety of expenses are allowed, that drives a wide variety of payment methods and, frankly, quite a mess. That is, if you don't spend it, so might need the proof if you get audited.

I have a spreadsheet and receipts printed and bound, but it's not 100% audit proof. I just hope it doesn't come to using these records, but if it does, it will be mostly proven.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Like easysurfer, I keep a spreadsheet with the date, amount, who it was paid to, and if necessary, an explanation. I also use a reference number that matches the spreadsheet entry to the receipt--2017-01 for the first receipt this year, 2017-02, etc.

If I lose the receipts I'll still use the spreadsheet to make claims. If I get audited, I'll go to the providers if I have to get proof. I keep a backup drive in my fireproof safe. I'd like to keep a drive offsite, but I don't know where to do that and it doesn't seem worth paying for a safe deposit box. I'm just not comfortable backing up all my data to a cloud.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My records are all at HSA bank, I never keep any receipts.

I charge all legit expenses to the HSA VISA card and they all appear in my online statements. Which read pharmacy, dentist, co-pay.

Easy.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Try photographing them with the expensify app.It pulls all the numbers and information from the receipts. It files it by date, gives you a pdf download and pulls information from each receipt. It also gives you thumbnails of each receipt. I use it and love it! Then store the downloads in the cloud. Easy!
TrophyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana View Post
Try photographing them with the expensify app.It pulls all the numbers and information from the receipts. It files it by date, gives you a pdf download and pulls information from each receipt. It also gives you thumbnails of each receipt. I use it and love it! Then store the downloads in the cloud. Easy!
Nice idea--for all kinds of receipts, I'll look for the app.

BTW, you can reimburse yourself from your HSA anytime you want--you don't have to reimburse yourself the year the bill was incurred. It's on an honor system unless you get audited. So keeping the receipts is really important, along with records for when you pulled money out of the HSA. Even if you don't dip into the HSA at the time you have health care expenses, all those receipts mean you can reimburse yourself anytime you want without penalty. Just be sure you know when you started the HSA and don't reimburse yourself for expenses before you had the HSA. Also, if your expenses are included in a tax deduction, you cannot then reimburse yourself for those expenses.

Interesting scenario: You've had an HSA for many years and have contributed the maximum and your account has grown. Over the past 5 years you have incurred $30K in health care expenses but paid them out of pocket (note that this includes your spouse and dependent children).

Your car then gives up the ghost and it's time to by a new (or used car, new to you). Guess what? You can pull $30K out of your HSA account and use it to buy the car. And you don't have to be 65 to do it. Can't do it if you haven't had the expenses, though! So it's sort of like another IRA or aa limited Roth IRA.

This thread from Bogleheads is a discussion of the topic:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107058
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
My records are all at HSA bank, I never keep any receipts.

I charge all legit expenses to the HSA VISA card and they all appear in my online statements. Which read pharmacy, dentist, co-pay.

Easy.
Good points. HOWEVER, My Dr has decided to work of a living and his new office is a joke regarding billing. Nuf said.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Interesting scenario: You've had an HSA for many years and have contributed the maximum and your account has grown. Over the past 5 years you have incurred $30K in health care expenses but paid them out of pocket (note that this includes your spouse and dependent children).

Your car then gives up the ghost and it's time to by a new (or used car, new to you). Guess what? You can pull $30K out of your HSA account and use it to buy the car. And you don't have to be 65 to do it. Can't do it if you haven't had the expenses, though! So it's sort of like another IRA or aa limited Roth IRA.
Oh yeah, if you do that it would be a good idea to have all the receipts for sure. IRS looks at your HSA account and see a 30 grand payment to "North Country Ford", that will get attention big time.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Oh yeah, if you do that it would be a good idea to have all the receipts for sure. IRS looks at your HSA account and see a 30 grand payment to "North Country Ford", that will get attention big time.
It doesn't work that way. You take the money out directly to yourself. On your tax forms you declare how much you withdrew and how much of it was for eligible medical expenses. The IRS could audit you, or not, same as any other tax related claim.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana View Post
Cool! I will check it out, thanks!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It doesn't work that way. You take the money out directly to yourself. On your tax forms you declare how much you withdrew and how much of it was for eligible medical expenses. The IRS could audit you, or not, same as any other tax related claim.
I agree, if you use an HSA account for this kinda stuff, you need records.

If you use it to pay eligible expenses as they occur directly to the providers it's all right there in their records. You pay yourself you better have good records.