Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Of course, I took precautions........
Doesn't that belong in this thread UK health booklet: Teen sex can be fun

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm going camping in the north woods of Wisconsin next month. Tweezers are on my list of things to bring. I'll have to check myself daily.
I'll be there too. Stop by and I'll do a tick check for ya.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

While in most cases it likely takes some time before the Lyme spirochete makes its way from the midgut of the tick to its salivary glands and then to you as you're being bitten, I heard Willy Burgdorfer (for whom the Lyme disease spirochete was named Borellia Burgdorferi) relay the results of a study he did which showed that up to ten percent of ticks already have the spirochete in their salivary glands and can transmit Lyme disease upon biting. In other words, they don't have to be attached for hours to transmit the disease.

If you have the rash, you have the disease. Unfortunately, many people don't get the rash but still get the disease. Lyme is a clinical diagnosis. Tests can be misleading (false negatives).

Check out "Cure Unknown" by Denise Weintraub and "Coping with Lyme Disease" by Denise Lang.

Some links:
Diagnostic and Treatment Tips ILADS - International Lyme And Associated Diseases Society
The new documentary about Lyme Under Our Skin: An Infectious New Film
Lyme Times archive Archive Issues of Lyme Times
The Lyme vaccine controversy Overview of 3 years of Research

From Lyme Disease Foundation
o One tick-bite can spread multiple diseases, including ehrlichiosis, babesiosis, bartonella, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, relapsing fever, tick paralysis, tulerimia, and more.
o Ticks across the country spread diseases.

o The most common Tick-Borne disease is Lyme disease, which accounts for 90% of all vector-borne infections in the United States.

o Lyme disease patients live in every state.

o There is no definitive test for Lyme disease.
o A survey by the Lyme Disease Foundation and the Society of Actuaries found that Lyme disease cost this country approximately $1- $2 billion per year in increased medical costs, lost productivity, prolonged pain and suffering, unnecessary testing, and costly delays in diagnosis and inappropriate treatment.
o According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, cases of this Tick-Borne disease have increased 25-fold since national surveillance of it began in 1982. Between 1980 and now 244,003 case have been reported and accepted by the CDC as qualified cases. Studies have shown that the actual number of Tick-Borne disease cases are approximately 10 times the amount reported due to poor surveillance of the disease.

o Patients with Lyme disease are increasingly having difficulty obtaining diagnosis and treatment for these diseases, and being restored to health. Because of differences in medical and scientific opinion, clinicians and other providers of health care services (testing laboratories and intravenous teams) face retaliation from insurance companies and medical licensure boards based on their diagnosis and treatment of patients that vary from the CDC's surveillance criteria.

Kindest regards,
spncity
Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just now took a look at this thread and noticed a couple mentions of Fairfax County, VA where DH and I live. Ticks are bad here this season and heard it has something to do with the unusually wet weather we've had. I also heard something on a local news radio station regarding DEET which indicated it's not that effective and has potentially bad side effects. The recommendation was to use tick repellentants made of natural substances which repel these nasty pests but don't pose health risks. I recall Repel brand lemon eucalyptus tick repellent being mentioned as well as herbs such as catnip and lemony smelling plants. Garlic was also mentioned as a natural and effective tick repellent. I did a quick google search and couldn't find it otherwise I'd post a link.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #25

Guinea hens and chickens are very helpful in controlling insect populations if you are able to let them range in an area. We do not have a huge tick problem here in SC, but I have a friend that is mostly disabled as a result of Lyme disease. She is only 27 and her health problems are pretty overwhelming.
I would never give up my outdoor pursuits, but I go with the good odds and wear repellant, long pants, check myself for ticks, and look for rashes or odd physical symptoms after I've been hiking.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Guinea hens and chickens are very helpful in controlling insect populations if you are able to let them range in an area.
That sounds pretty uncomfortable. Do you stick them in a pocket, tie them to your body, or just hold them in your arms?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That sounds pretty uncomfortable. Do you stick them in a pocket, tie them to your body, or just hold them in your arms?
LOL
Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

She did get that sales tip re a push-up bra--maybe they're in there?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #29

Feever, you got it exactly right. There is a great visual...a bra full of guinea hens. LOL

Nords, you never miss a beat!

Now...what to put... never mind...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm outside a LOT and this is the first year that I started getting ticks on me.

I needed tweezers to pull them off.

I do not react to bug bites very strongly I have been stung by a couple hundred bees over the years and it does very little to me.

So I might be a bad example but I had no after effects from the tics other than a very very tiny red dot.

These tics are so small that if I had one on my scalp or even in chest hair or other hairy areas I don't think that there is any way I would have ever found it.

Jim
Old 07-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
These tics are so small that if I had one on my scalp or even in chest hair or other hairy areas I don't think that there is any way I would have ever found it.

Jim
I've had Lyme disease. From what I understand, the tiny ones are the dangerous ones (most cases are from the nymph stage of a deer tick) because you don't notice them. The nypmh stage is the one on the fingernail.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just saw my doctor. I had blood tests scheduled for other reasons, and when I told him about the tick he said he would run a lyme test as well. He wasn't worried about it, but as Rich said it's good to have some baseline numbers in case I come down with something. The bite itself has just about gone away.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Kronk

Sorry it took me so long to reply...I missed your post.

That is EXACTLY what the ticks looked like that I found on me!

The one was the bigger one and the other the smaller one.

Jim
Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Our next door neighbor just got Lyme disease and is recovering. She got a fever and thought she had the flu. She took a shower and her spouse saw a big target shaped rash on her butt. Thank goodness for spouses that like to look.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
She took a shower and her spouse saw a big target shaped rash on her butt. Thank goodness for spouses that like to look.
And for you single ladies, HFWR is standing by to offer his personal assistance...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And for you single ladies, HFWR is standing by to offer his personal assistance...
And for you gentlemen, I promise to keep it all very scientific...
Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I promise to make no promises...
Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

bbbamI
I have my clipboard all ready...need an assistant ?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
bbbamI
I have my clipboard all ready...need an assistant ?
Well, I usually work alone, but it would be handy if you were there with your clipboard, magnifying glass, tweezers and rubber gloves....
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Don't forget the boots and whip...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote