Join Early Retirement Today

Zagat Guide To Physicians
Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Zagat Guide To Physicians

Quote:
WellPoint, Inc., the nation's largest health benefits company, and Zagat Survey, LLC today announced the upcoming launch of a new online survey tool that will allow consumers to share their physician experiences with others. A first in the health care arena, WellPoint will begin to offer the online tool using the Zagat approach to select members in its Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield licensed subsidiaries in January 2008.
The online survey tool will allow consumers to review their doctor visits based on:
-- Trust
-- Communication
-- Availability
-- Environment
On the surface, this sounds great. Unfortunately, the rankings don't include anything on how good the doctor is at providing healthcare. It's great that the Doctor communicates well and that you can get an appointment, but I would rather know if his patients are healthy.

Quote:
As Jerry Flanagan of the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights told USA Today yesterday, “the fact that a doctor might have a friendly administrator at the front desk is meaningless if they have a high medical-error rate.”
It’s a bit like having car ratings only address color scheme and seat comfort: these are nice facts to know, but at the end of the day you want a car that you can rely on, a consistent performer that does its job and does it well.
For more opinions on this and the source of the above quote, go here.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a risk that people will judge a physician by frivoulous means unrelated to the quality of health care delivered.

However, I see this as a breath of fresh air into a system that has as yet been very opaque to those looking in from the outside. Information to the public is good. We'll take it for what it is. It's about time for something like this.

So Hip, hip, Hurr (that's two and a half cheers for Wellpoint) !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have mixed feelings about this initiative. But I agree with you that it's about time that something like this was started. You have to start somewhere.

The car analogy in the quote is a bit simplistic. Other than things like LASIK surgery, purchasing healthcare is a lot more complicated than buying a car. When you buy healthcare, the doctor makes most of the decisions, so factors like trust are important. In that sense, these ratings have some value.

I read another article on this and one of the criticisms was that only disgruntled patients would post. It will be interesting to see if this experiment does any good.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

These things surface periodically. It is very hard to rate or rank physicians for lots of reasons.

My opinion is that the average consumer is forced to rely on the licensing and credentialling process to assure a base level of competence (which is does fairly well in my experience). As to philosophic approach, interpersonal skills, judgment, and the rest, they are largely unmeasurable.

As for the "Best Doctors in America" type polls, they are essentially of no value. I have been on that list for decades and frankly its closest analogy is the yellow pages of your phone book. They send you an offer to buy a laminated plaque commemorating your being on the list, for $129.99 a month later.

Word of mouth counts. Nurses in your local emergency room or hospital services (esp for surgeons) know a lot, and are worth calling for recommendations. Finally, making your best guess and not being reluctant to move on if the comfort level isn't there is probably as good a strategy as any.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Rich. The same occurs for lawyers. There is a lawyer in my community that regularly is on the "super lawyers" lists. He is not a super lawyer. But he is nice and holds a political office.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:13 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone know what a "super doctor" or lawyer or mechanic or contractor is?
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:14 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha,
Whose picture is that as your post screen... a celeb ?
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That's Martha's glamor shot. Not bad, eh?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
My opinion is that the average consumer is forced to rely on the licensing and credentialling process to assure a base level of competence (which is does fairly well in my experience).
Rich, unfortunately the licencing and credentialling process didn't work too well in Britain. The Shipman Inquiry.

I agree, it's difficult to get objective ratings of physicians. Customer satisfaction is important, but does not excuse incompetence. And it's difficult to quantify outcomes unless the physician is in a procedural speciality.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote