Join Early Retirement Today
2 year market outlook?
Old 09-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
2 year market outlook?

Hey readers, I was recently looking over my brokerage account to determine my exposures since many of the talking heads are saying expect more market declines. I mainly saw no issues not to stay the course, except for two things. I have some money in HSBC notes and Goldman Sachs notes that both expire in the summer of 2017. Neither offers interest, they are notes that return on principle, and the principle is guided by the Dow (GS note) and the S&P low volitility (HSBC note). I bough these in 2010 (GS) and 2012 (hsbc) so even with markets down now, I still have an overall profit of 7.8% a year average at this time. Essentially, where do the gurus on here estimate the markets in the near term of two years? Worth it to let mature, or collect my profits and invest in something else?

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

visinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
If talking heads actually could predict anything, they would be fabulously rich and long ago retired.

Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm a buy and generally hold kind of guy. So my kind of investor would probably leave things as is unless I was excited about placing that money somewhere or if the original basis for making that investment was no longer valid. Bottom line is don't have any idea what the market will be like in 2 yrs but if I didn't expect a general trend upward, wouldn't be invested in the first place. For example, my only recent changes caused by this recent market dip have been to sell some bond funds that weren't producing any income (price drops more than dividends add to fund) and buy some stocks that were low priced and had long history of paying dividends. Didn't sell anything else.
Whisper66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
All you can do is assume that the market will follow the trends of the last 130+ years.

Of course, if we are in a deflation spiral, all bets are off. You can look to Japan's market at that point. I think we have deflation on the horizon, not inflation.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Right now you have 7.8% profit.

This will not go up if things stay the same, does not even pay dividends.

If the markets go further down, you get less (like having an etf you are forced to sell in 2 years.), you cannot hold onto it until things go back up.

If the markets go up, you will get more profit (but you could do this by selling this and buying some broad etf as well).

Therefore I say sell, buy something like VTI and VXUS and sit on them collecting dividends and wait for the markets to go up.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets
What would a deflation spiral entail?

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

visinery is offline   Reply With Quote