2012 Stock Picks

jimnjana

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last year I picked

LEI, SSN, and MHR

LEI and SSN doubled at some point during 2011 from the price that I posted on 20DEC 2010, LEI was up over 300% at its high. MHR did not fare as well during 2011 and is off about 40% from the price on 20Dec 2010.

2012 I'm keeping SSN and MHR and adding SD and TGC. I'm still holding LEI, just think the others will outperform this year.

Wow, that's some dice-rolling on the small oil and gas producers, JnJ. I live in the oil patch, but I wouldn't know the first thing about how to handicap such stocks. Best of luck to you, however.

My risk profile is different. I just put in a limit order for HDV, the iShares High Dividend Equity Fund. I purchased some DVY (another iShares dividend fund) this year after researching favorable comments here on the board. This article in Barron's this week contrasts the two funds:
How Dividend ETFs Differ - Barrons.com
"It's a choice of dividend growth [DVY] versus dividend stability [HDV]," says Rene Casis, an iShares portfolio manager who helps run both funds.

In the present environment, however, there's another key difference. The newer High Dividend Equity fund has far less exposure to the poorly performing financial group. The newer offering has 1.09% tied up in the financial sector, versus 10.36% for its older cousin."

My safe investment ideas for the year are ABT and KMI. Although KMI has the potential to big winner (in addition to healthy 3.8% dividend) if Richard Kinder does his his magic. He was M* manager of the year a few years ago.

My speculative picks are RBCAA a well run and profitable Kentucky bank, who managed to increase profits and dividends in each year from 2007-2011. Plus AWX, a tiny Ohio based golf course, and landfill operator who's sole positive attributes is that is marginally profitable and is sitting on real estate holding which I think are worth 4-5x the market cap of the company. Although realizing them will probably require the Ohio economy to improve.

The newer offering has 1.09% tied up in the financial sector, versus 10.36% for its older cousin."
In late 2006/early 2007 DVY was pushing 30% financials. That was back when lots of financials were a good thing, because they were ruling the world doing God's work.

DVY was pretty much self-correcting by early 2009, and it was still yielding over 5.5%...

In late 2006/early 2007 DVY was pushing 30% financials. That was back when lots of financials were a good thing, because they were ruling the world doing God's work.

DVY was pretty much self-correcting by early 2009, and it was still yielding over 5.5%...

DVY was $70 per share in 2006 /2007 and paying a quarterly dividend of $0.60 per share for a 3.4% Dividend. By early 2009 it skipped it's quarterly dividend stock price was at 40 and then resumed in March of 2009 paying a total of 2.7% in 2009 on an average price of 40. Presently is at a 3.4% dividend rate@ 54.10 after going heavily into utilities (32% of the fund).

My suggested stocks for 2012 would be AMGN with a chance for a good dividend in the biotech industry, CVX Chevron in the oil industry and MO for a good dividend play in an unpopular sector with a customer base that really desires the product it produces.

Still Working on 2012 Picks

DW and I plan to have a "meeting" in the next day or so to think about early 2012 stock picks. My preliminary scouting has not revealed any obvious buys for new (to us) stocks/funds. It may be that we sit and wait for another buying opportunity.

At this point I see some current holdings that we may sell in 2011 to have additional funds for 2012.

DW and I plan to have a "meeting" in the next day or so to think about early 2012 stock picks. My preliminary scouting has not revealed any obvious buys for new (to us) stocks/funds. It may be that we sit and wait for another buying opportunity.

At this point I see some current holdings that we may sell in 2011 to have additional funds for 2012.

Ideas on Mutual Fund sectors for 2012?/...appreciate your thoughts

INTC Solid State Drives (SSD) will become the norm. INTC has some power saving chips in their future.

Who else has some 2012 picks? I'd like to add more to my watch list to track performance.

American Axle (AXL) and Ford (F). Auto sales are picking up and Merkins are overdue to replace their shambling heaps.

I'm going with Microsoft. Again.

Eventually I will be right.

Or broke.

:)

Well everyone here knows I'm one of the more aggressive players of the board. ;) So with that said, I own and still like CVX. Can be volatile though.

CVX: Summary for Chevron Corporation Common Stoc- Yahoo! Finance

Another one I own and like is AFL. Price has rebounded but still sells at a big discount to historical values. A decent dividend around 3.1% as does CVX.

AFL: Summary for AFLAC Incorporated Common Stock- Yahoo! Finance

Now, time for a med.
img_1145412_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

+1 for Dawg ( and Ed ) on CVX.

I have employed the strategy of selling cash-secured puts on CVX, every 2 months or monthly ( depending on the premium size ), and keeping this up until, inevitably, the stock is assigned to me.

Once I become the proud owner of CVX, I start selling covered calls at the next higher strike price, until, inevitably, the stock is taken away from me.

Then I repeat the whole cycle........

...MO for a good dividend play in an unpopular sector with a customer base that really desires the product it produces.

I also recommend CRAK, METH, and HERN... :LOL:

FWIW, I own no individual stocks or bonds. Just a sheeple with index funds.

Wow, that's some dice-rolling on the small oil and gas producers, JnJ. I live in the oil patch, but I wouldn't know the first thing about how to handicap such stocks. Best of luck to you, however.

My risk profile is different. I just put in a limit order for HDV, the iShares High Dividend Equity Fund. I purchased some DVY (another iShares dividend fund) this year after researching favorable comments here on the board. This article in Barron's this week contrasts the two funds:
How Dividend ETFs Differ - Barrons.com
"It's a choice of dividend growth [DVY] versus dividend stability [HDV]," says Rene Casis, an iShares portfolio manager who helps run both funds.

In the present environment, however, there's another key difference. The newer High Dividend Equity fund has far less exposure to the poorly performing financial group. The newer offering has 1.09% tied up in the financial sector, versus 10.36% for its older cousin."

Dividend stability is HDV? The dividend is one cent per share giving it a yield of .08%! If it is dividends you are after, there are much better choices out there.

Dividend stability is HDV? The dividend is one cent per share giving it a yield of .08%! If it is dividends you are after, there are much better choices out there.
Hi james7. According to iShares, this ETF paid $0.915 since its inception in 03/11 and made two distributions in December, one for $0.01, so that was probably some additional income. Feel free to stop by and introduce yourself here Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

and Merkins

Say, what??!! Wouldn't have thought of that as a growth industry.:facepalm:

But, seriously (if anyone will actually believe that now) I only own one individual stock. Old Megacorp. Finally doing something this year (besides going sideways or down).

Hi james7. According to iShares, this ETF paid $0.915 since its inception in 03/11 and made two distributions in December, one for $0.01, so that was probably some additional income. Feel free to stop by and introduce yourself here Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Sorry, I apologize if my information is wrong. I got my stats at Marketwatch.com. I have used many other websites for quotes and I find that Marketwatch is most accurate, but it seems that funds are a whole different ball game when it comes to providing dividend and yield information. I guess that is why sites such as www.finance.yahoo.com will give no dividend or yield information for many funds; better to give no info than to be misinterpreted.

Fastenal has become my largest holding (outside of index funds).

I am developing serious valuation concerns at these levels though. It's a great company, but at 40 times earnings I'm starting to think about trimming back my position some.

I like AAPL, PM, HD, FAST, MA and GWW

I have (I have owned these for awhile and plan to hold them):
MCD
PG
VZ

I added a couple of days ago, betting that the financials won't have a terrible year like they did last year:
C
BAC

Am considering buying some NFLX here but haven't decided yet. May just watch it for awhile before I decide.

I like AAPL, PM, HD, FAST, MA and GWW

1st quarter results for my picks:

AAPL...+48%
PM......+12.9%
HD......+19.7%
FAST...+24%
MA......+12.8%

AVG...+23.5%

SP500...+12.2%

I'd say I'm kicking some butt so far.....

Back
Top Bottom