Join Early Retirement Today

35 Low P/E Dividend Stocks
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

35 Low P/E Dividend Stocks

http://http://www.businessinsider.com/35-growing-dividend-stocks-with-low-pe-ratios-2011-3

Quote:
Google Finance. We expect these stocks to perform better than 10-Pointing to a recent study, we showed that the average return of high dividend yielding stocks was 13.04% between 1927 and 2009. Dividend stocks beat the overall market by an average of 1.36% per year in that period.
Insider Monkey, your source for free insider trading data, thinks these are risky times for fixed income investors. Ten-year treasuries yield less than 4% and the Federal Reserve is pursuing a highly inflationary monetary policy.

For conservative investors who don’t want to speculate about commodities and want a stable quarterly income, we prepared a list of 35 dividend paying stocks that have below market average PE ratios and managed to increase their earnings per share over the past 5 years. A portfolio of these stocks should be able to make its dividend payments, preserve capital by increasing earnings per share over the long term, and protect investors against possible spikes in inflation. The data is sourced from year treasuries over the next 10 years.

I thought this article may be of interest to conservative investors. Due diligence is required though.
tjscott0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Something wrong with your link to this article. Too many http's? Try this one instead:

35 Growing Dividend Stocks With Low PE Ratios
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank You Dimsumkid
tjscott0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A quick look at the list showed me that there are 16 electric utilities in the list, namely NGG, EXC, D, NEE, PEG, ED, ENI, EIX, PPL, ETR, XEL, DTE, SCG, PNW, DPL, and WR. There are also 3 telecoms: CTL, TKC, TNE.

I have owned some of these names in the past. Yes, they pay dividends, but the stock price may not be any less volatile than some tech stocks. For example, Excelon (EXC) share price over the last 10 years has ranged from the mid 20s to 90. It is now at 41. Compared that to Intel, whose share price has ranged from 33 to 13.

Conclusion: There are always more than one way to lose money. Dividend or not, it still helps to "buy low, sell high".

The above said, I may look to pick up a couple. I currently have XLU and UTH, which are utility ETFs. Their dividends are a little less than 4%.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Conclusion: There are always more than one way to lose money. Dividend or not, it still helps to "buy low, sell high".
I reckon that's what I've been doing it wrong couldn't FIRE at 55 as I planned. I was buying high and selling low out of panic.
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
I reckon that's what I've been doing it wrong couldn't FIRE at 55 as I planned. I was buying high and selling low out of panic.
You are not alone. It is human nature. I hope you are in recovery.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
You are not alone. It is human nature. I hope you are in recovery.
I have recovered from kicking myself in the head but not financially for FIRE. I've decided to put what I have for retirement in managed account through 401K and not look at all. With what little discretionary spending I save, I fiddle around on my own with penny stocks. Who knows with all the beer money that I put into penny stocks could became paying champagne returns. Highly unlikely but I can dream about it and makes me happy.
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote