$4,000 burning a hole in my pocket

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
O.K., so not really, but DW slammed some money into an IRA this year and it's just sitting in a MM right now. With the recent market "correction" I figure now is as good a time as any to play around with it. The vast majority of our investments are in a 4 pillar, value-ey index-y vehicles, and while I'm all done playing with tech sector penny stock 100-bagger pipe dream stocks, I am thinking of trying to find a bargain to put this money in a take a little bit of a chance. Where would you put 4 grand?

Well I'm not so good with market timing, but if I was to guess I would say that this market is going quite a bit lower. So based on that I would say to hold off for maybe a month or so.

Then when you feel that things have stabalized, jump into a braod based index fund.

I am no analyst but among the stocks I wish I had bought a while back are O - Realty Income (buy if interest rates go up because it behaves like a bond), PCP - Precision CastParts (best in an industry with high entry costs, good management).

Maybe this is the time to look at REITs.

You really don't have enough $ to buy something you may want to sell in a year or two (trading costs can eat up profits), look for steady-Edies.

I'm not a market timer either, but I'm not stupid just the same.

We seem to be entering the "fall fall" quite a bit earlier this year than normal, given the nasty downtrend of late I'd wait...

Check to see which parts of your asset allocation are lean. Small cap value? REITS? Add to that. Unless your crystal ball tells you things will continue down. I don't have any clue as to where the market is going...

Stocks I would buy with any extra money:

JNJ, USB, TGT

I am no analyst but among the stocks I wish I had bought a while back are O - Realty Income (buy if interest rates go up because it behaves like a bond), PCP - Precision CastParts (best in an industry with high entry costs, good management).

Maybe this is the time to look at REITs.

You really don't have enough $ to buy something you may want to sell in a year or two (trading costs can eat up profits), look for steady-Edies.

If you bought PCP maybe time to sell... CNBC analysts have been recommending it. By Cramer's criteria the time to sell is when the analysts are all over a stock.

Back
Top Bottom