Join Early Retirement Today

529 Investment choices
Old 10-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

529 Investment choices

I have 2 4th graders, one 2nd grader in the Utah Educational Savings Plan. My thoughts are to go to Static - Equity, 30% International or Customized VG Intl Growth & VG Institutional Total Stock Market Index Fund & VG Growth Index funds - basically equally.

When the kids get to the 8th grade move to Aged Based Moderate investment option.

Opinions folks....

I see that VG sponsors the Nevada 529. I don't find any information about any fees Nevada charges their enrollees.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

My principle would be to go with the least expensive fees for the most equity exposure.

My "first stop" would be this page, which says for Utah, only use the Vanguard age-based portfolio choice. But I don't understand why that's his recommendation because this (page 47) says that the fees are cheap with the aged based or the static investment.

I like your choice Static-Equity 30% international unless you can uncover why Clark was pushing the age based. Could be that the recommendation was based on an old set of fees.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think he must like age based as it is 'self driving'.

I am still trying to find Nevada's management fees.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #4

It's administered by USAA. The fees are not as cheap as Vanguard, and the investment options are not as clear (or good, imho).
Old 10-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I’m a USAA member but chose the Utah Educational Savings Plan for my grandson. We’re in the age based aggressive plan since he is just approaching 7 months old.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #6

We have the Nevada 529 - managed by Vanguard.

We were all equities till the kids hit middle school... then switched to 25% bond. My junior is now at about 60/40 bond/stock... my freshman is 50/50.

I could do age based... but this works almost as easily.
I have them in 4 funds: S&P500, Total Stock, TIPS, Total Bond.

As for fees for the Nevada plan - it starts on pdf page 31 of this doc
https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/529progdesc.pdf

Basically - the ER (0.02-0.34) and a management fee (0.09 to 0.19) depending on the fund.

My dad started the 529's when the kids were born... He'd started in the California 529 which was managed by Fidelity but he didn't like the fees and funds. Since CA doesn't offer any tax breaks for staying in state - he switched to Nevada. It was very nice/generous of him to seed both accounts with $10k.... I miss him and loved him!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We have the Nevada 529 - managed by Vanguard.
A wise man to start the 529's early.

Apparently Nevada has more than one choice of 529 administrator. My earlier post (admittedly, not a highly researched post), did find the USAA administered Nevada plan, but the fees were higher than the Utah. It looks like Nevada with Vanguard is as fee thrifty as any.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have mine all in equity.... the balances are low enough that it really does not matter as I have to come up with extra from some other place...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote