Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A $300k question...which Vanguard fund to invest in
Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 943
A $300k question...which Vanguard fund to invest in

So in a moment of questionable wisdom a few weeks ago I decided to consolidate my old Fidelity rollover IRA as well as my old 401ks that were still with the previous employers to a new Vanguard rollover IRA. I moved all of those assets to their stable value funds and am awaiting transfers to complete.

So now I have approx $300k that I need to DCA into something. I was pretty well set on VTSAX at a once-a-month frequency throughout the year. However, I'm wondering if there are better options to grow these assets at the max rate possible over the next 18yrs until I turn 60. I won't be contributing any new money to these assets so started thinking about high yield dividend generating funds but not quite sure.
__________________

dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 24,247
No need to get fancy. Slow and steady wins the race. VTSAX is a good choice with 18 years to go.

The only question is all at once or get in gradually... given we are close to market highs I think I would value average in but who knows!
__________________

__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,982
I really like your choice too, and that is exactly what I would choose if I had 18 years to go. :
__________________
I have drunken deep of joy,
And I will taste no other wine tonight.

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,819
So not only are you asking me if my Crystal Ball is working for the next few months, but you also want it to be accurate for the next 18 years or so.

OK, invest in Vanguard Small Cap Value Index fund and Vanguard FTSE all-world ex-US foreign small cap index fund.

But don't blame me if my crystal ball fails to come through.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 67
Just out of curiosity, why DCA?

Presumably all of these accounts were invested previously. Why not just go with the same asset allocation, but using vanguard funds? Why sit on cash while you DCA if you're really just moving brokerages?
orangehairfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Keim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehairfella View Post
Just out of curiosity, why DCA?

Presumably all of these accounts were invested previously. Why not just go with the same asset allocation, but using vanguard funds? Why sit on cash while you DCA if you're really just moving brokerages?
Dollar Cost Average
__________________
You can't enlighten the unconscious.
But you can hit'em upside the head a few times to make sure they are really out...
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No need to get fancy. Slow and steady wins the race. VTSAX is a good choice with 18 years to go.

The only question is all at once or get in gradually... given we are close to market highs I think I would value average in but who knows!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I really like your choice too, and that is exactly what I would choose if I had 18 years to go. :
Thank you both for validating VTSAX as being a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
So not only are you asking me if my Crystal Ball is working for the next few months, but you also want it to be accurate for the next 18 years or so.

OK, invest in Vanguard Small Cap Value Index fund and Vanguard FTSE all-world ex-US foreign small cap index fund.

But don't blame me if my crystal ball fails to come through.
Lol, I did see your 27% returns on the value cap index but I'm thinking max diversity over the long haul. May be 10% or so of value cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehairfella View Post
Just out of curiosity, why DCA?

Presumably all of these accounts were invested previously. Why not just go with the same asset allocation, but using vanguard funds? Why sit on cash while you DCA if you're really just moving brokerages?
As pb4uski mentioned too the stock market's pretty high so might as well DCA and see if I get lucky with the timing. My gut feeling says there will be a pull back in the market before the end of the first quarter.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DrRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,868
+1 for VTSAX
__________________
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir
DrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 943
With the market up today my early spring cleaning continued as I sold all my individual stocks and closed the Scottrade brokerage account - going Vanguard for everything!

The conversation with Scottrade went something like this:

Him: What are you planning to do with the money?
Me: I'm going to vegas next week
Him: Oh gambling?
Me: no...
Him: ohhh, I see, you sure you want to close out the account? How about opening an IRA etc.
Me: Nah I don't want to do boring things anymore, money is meant to be enjoyed
Him: Silence...ok sir, we'll mail you the check on Tue. Anything else I can help you with, if not have a great day.
Me: no thank you, you do the same.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: No Country for Old Men
Posts: 45,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
The conversation with Scottrade went something like this:

Him: What are you planning to do with the money?
Me: I'm going to vegas next week
Him: Oh gambling?
Me: no...
Him: ohhh, I see, you sure you want to close out the account? How about opening an IRA etc.
Me: Nah I don't want to do boring things anymore, money is meant to be enjoyed
Him: Silence...ok sir, we'll mail you the check on Tue. Anything else I can help you with, if not have a great day.
Me: no thank you, you do the same.
Love it!
__________________
Numbers is hard

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
With the market up today my early spring cleaning continued as I sold all my individual stocks and closed the Scottrade brokerage account - going Vanguard for everything!

The conversation with Scottrade went something like this:

Him: What are you planning to do with the money?
Me: I'm going to vegas next week
Him: Oh gambling?
Me: no...
Him: ohhh, I see, you sure you want to close out the account? How about opening an IRA etc.
Me: Nah I don't want to do boring things anymore, money is meant to be enjoyed
Him: Silence...ok sir, we'll mail you the check on Tue. Anything else I can help you with, if not have a great day.
Me: no thank you, you do the same.
You should have told him there is more to do in Vegas than gamble.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Investing style: Full time wuss.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Posts: 326
Dumb question - Do you have to sell to transfer a brokerage account? Couldn't you transfer to vanguard and pay lower commissions ?
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 943
@Yarnstormer, good question. I just didn't want to be in individual stocks anymore. Today I saw an opportunity and decided to liquidate it all - I'll reinvest the proceeds in a broad index in the near future when I see the opportunity (prob VTSAX for everything from here on out in both taxable and pre-tax accounts).

As for the old 401ks etc, I believe I was in vanguard target 2030 for a big chunk which could've been transfered in-kind perphaps but again I didn't want to keep the same funds after the transfer so I did it on my own. Sure I pay a few dollars (under $100 so far) in transaction fees and a few short term gains but it's a small percentage of the overall picture.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Personally, I prefer the Wellington Fund (VWENX)
coveredbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 788
VTSAX sounds great (I have it in a brokerage account). If you're waiting more than 15 years, I would consider an additional allocation to small value or maybe Dividend Growth (which I also have).
__________________

RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LBYMers, Could You Spend $300k A Year? RetiredGypsy FIRE and Money 223 04-05-2011 04:05 PM
Is 300K enough to retire on at age 37? tiredwrkr FIRE and Money 61 07-26-2010 03:57 PM
Redux Retirement~Would You Trade $300K For $30k? mickeyd FIRE and Money 9 02-21-2009 04:25 PM
ER is 2 Years Away, Where Should I Invest $300K? Hydroman FIRE and Money 12 05-06-2006 06:10 PM
What to do with 300K from house sale and a 6 month building time. newguy88 FIRE and Money 2 05-03-2006 08:10 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.