A list that generates income

Turned out to be a darn good list: 43.8% XIRR after 2 years!! In the mean time, the S&P 500 had an XIRR of 19.5%.

Not only did the items in the list come through on dividends, they also had a whole bunch of price appreciation.

The original post, two years ago, suggested a dividend yield of 13.3%. Using the $180K initial investment, the yield was 13.1% the first year and 12.5% the next year ($23.6K and $22.5K, respectively, March to March).

Because of the price appreciation, the yield looks lower as calculated against today's pricing, but the payouts hung in there at the $23K level, similar to the historical values reported in the original post.

Maybe this was just a fluke for the kind of market we've had in the last two years, but boy, this list far exceeded my expectations. Don't tell ERD50 that dividend stocks "worked" :LOL:

If you want to check my math:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RUvtBvzSROD8OZr_mtgU7XHO-fREy1OH/view?usp=sharing

I did a quick look, if I understand correctly, take a look at formula in Column S. Will change your XIRR on the list significantly.

Yes, math is off. Those pesky relative vs absolute addresses! :) Looks like COL S should be:

" =+R3*$B3 "

Well, I was going to say that any group of stocks ought to be expected to outperform ~ 50% of the time, but in this case, if I did my math right, I see:

7.25% Total Return for your "list", using simple (2018Val+Divs)/2017Val

While for SPY, I get:

18.50%

Sorry, no cigar for you, not even close. But it might "work" next year. Or the year after, or maybe...

-ERD50

Last edited:
Yes, math is off. Those pesky relative vs absolute addresses! :) Looks like COL S should be:" =+R3*$B3 "
Thanks for checking my math :facepalm: (I updated the spreadsheet).

The XIRR now comes out to 19.9%. That aligns with $23K in growth, and $23.5K and $22.5K in dividends, divided by the starting value, divided by 2 to annualize over the two years [(23.6 + 23.5 + 22.5) / 180 / 2 = 0.193]

That's a much more comfortable answer, to me, anyway, as I would not expect that high level of price appreciation on stocks like these.

So much ado about nothing. The list ("the" list, not "my" list :angel:) kept up with the S&P 500. And the S&P 500 probably has a lower beta.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom