Join Early Retirement Today

A quick mock 15% ytd portfolio
Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

A quick mock 15% ytd portfolio

I was playing around with some stocks / funds I was watching and decided to see how these funds would have faired with a hypothetical 65,000 investment at the beginning of the year. It looks like I would have been diversified enough for a 15% growth...too bad I'm only up 1/2 that this year in real life. Next year I will be a bit more risk tolerant. Of course this doesn't include fees and dividend yields.

Looks like you can get the job done with 17 different funds as I show in this quick little spreadsheet:
Attached Images
File Type: gif fifteen-percent.gif (22.9 KB, 59 views)

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

SEVENTEEN funds? For a portfolio of just 65 grand? That's way too complicated. The transaction costs to rebalance that portfolio will eat you alive.

Also, backtesting what would have worked well YTD is pointless. If you want to do that, here's a handy list to pick from: Stocks - Performance | YTD Percent Change (Stocks ranked by YTD percent change)

Old 10-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hindsight is 20/20. But often, heath care and technology leads the way.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #4

What was the 3, 5 and 10 year performance?
Easy to pick the winners after the fact, picking before the starting gun is the trick. Next year it will be a different set of players, I'd expect.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I was playing around with some stocks / funds I was watching and decided to see how these funds would have faired with a hypothetical 65,000 investment at the beginning of the year. It looks like I would have been diversified enough for a 15% growth...too bad I'm only up 1/2 that this year in real life. Next year I will be a bit more risk tolerant. Of course this doesn't include fees and dividend yields.

Looks like you can get the job done with 17 different funds as I show in this quick little spreadsheet:
I'd check all of the entries, as I noticed a few symbols don't agree with the etf category.

They say almost every spreadsheet has at least one error...
Old 10-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
What was the 3, 5 and 10 year performance?
Easy to pick the winners after the fact, picking before the starting gun is the trick. Next year it will be a different set of players, I'd expect.
+1
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I'd check all of the entries, as I noticed a few symbols don't agree with the etf category.

They say almost every spreadsheet has at least one error...

I can agree there. This was done in like 15minutes so I wouldn't bring this list to your financial planner or anything. Just a fun little "puzzle' if you will when I was messing around last night with some symbols I had lieing around.

This is by no menas representative of what I have going on, however I do have 13 funds acrosss way too many accounts that I will be rolling over here as soon as I close on this latest property. Hopefully vanguard will simplify my life a lot.

I really don't make too many trades, mainly rebalances. Although I did pick up some AAPL when it dropped a while back.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
My 15minute mock portfolio would have returned over 25%
Old 01-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #8

My 15minute mock portfolio would have returned over 25%

Soo,
Not that I am this risk tolerant, but had I been this year this mock portfolio a few people disagreed on, actually would have performed quite well and returned over 25% with dividends reinvested. I am no Warren Buffet, but perhaps a close second lol

Attached Images
File Type: png mock-25%portfolio.png (19.5 KB, 19 views)

Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Your ROI is only slightly higher than mine with Wellington, S&P 500 index fund, Realty Income Corp and a small salting of international (looser) with a lot less work.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #10

If 1 year were the entire investing lifetime...
Old 01-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Or you could just buy Berkshire 1 year 27% 3 years 25%, 5 years 17.8% 10 years and 15 years 9.8% all handily beating the S&P and all with less volatility than 75% all stocks and less than many mutual funds.

If we count Warren's $100,000/year salary as an investment expense that works out to be an ER of .0027%